This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL4 SH - Idiot-end straight faces shove on river, can I ever fold here?

• Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      No-Limit Hold'em, $0.04 BB (6 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Button ($8.56) (15/11/1.9/24/338) (VPIP/PFR/AF/WTSD/Hands)
      SB ($3.85)
      UTG ($3.16)
      Hero (BB) ($4.35)
      CO ($4.73)
      MP ($5.48)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, 3
      1 fold, MP calls $0.04, 1 fold, Button calls $0.04, SB calls $0.02, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.16) 4, 5, 6 (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, Button bets $0.16, SB calls $0.16, Hero calls $0.16, MP calls $0.16

Turn: ($0.80) 7 (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.57, 1 fold, Button calls $0.57, 1 fold

River: ($1.94) 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.23, Button raises $7.79 (All-In), Hero calls $2.35 (All-In)

Total pot: $9.10

So when I was playing, this seemed a routine situation. But looking back on it in my session review I'm actually wondering if I could have folded here. Villain is a tight player who knows what he is doing, and I actually don't see all that many hands that shove here that I beat, considering that the 5 meant that 55, 77, and flush draws are now ahead of my hand. Add to the fact that any 8 beats me, and I wonder if I actually made a mistake calling this.
  • 2 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      you already gave your own answer.
      "villain is a tight player who knows what he's doing"... so, really, what do you expect to beat with your 1 card idiot end straight where flushes and full houses are possible? i know that you know he won't overplay his two pair like that on such a board.
    • Bierbaer
      Bierbaer
      Bronze
      Check/fold flop.

You basically have 3 clean outs (the 2's without the 2 :diamond:) and you're only getting 3:1 odds - with the 3 outs you need ~15:1.
      Also you have reverse implied odds against higher straights and flushes.

On the river it's definitely a fold. The guy was calling 2 big bets in a multiway pot and shoves once the FD gets there - he can't make it more clear that he has a flush ;) .