[NL2-NL10] NL10 JQ Top pair- calling stations

• TheBrownie
      TheBrownie
      Bronze
      Hi, now when I look back at this hand I think that I should have folded on the flop because of such a draw heavy flop. However, at that time I thought that the opponent is just trying to catch a straight or flush therefore I raised to protect my hand. Now when I think about it I think that the opponent wouldn't even have raised with only flush draw.
      The reason why I kept on raising is that they didn't show only real strength and therefore I thought that they are trying to catch a draw. In any case I can see now that I played that hand terribly. However, little evaluation would still be helpful :)
      (I don't have any helpful notes or stats about the opponents)

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (4 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $4.41
      SB:
      $9.90
      BB (Hero):
      $10.00
      CO:
      $10.22

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, Q.
      CO folds, BU calls $0.10, SB calls $0.05, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.3) 9, 7, Q (3 players)
      SB bets $0.20, Hero raises to $0.60, BU calls $0.60, SB calls $0.40.

Turn: ($2.1) 6 (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.00, BU calls $1.00, SB calls $1.00.

River: ($5.1) J (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $2.50, BU calls $2.50, SB calls $2.50.

Final Pot: $12.6.

Results follow:

BU shows a flush, queen high(2d Td).
      Hero shows two pairs, queens and jacks(Jc Qs).
      SB shows a flush, queen high(4d 5d).

BU wins with a flush, queen high(2d Td).
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello TheBrownie,

Welcome to the NL Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future. I hope that with our help you can improve your play and as well move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

Flop: Well, if you played it passively preflop then I don't like raising the flop either and just isolating yourself against very strong hands. Rather play for pot control and just Call on flop and reevaluate further actions.

As played
      Turn: Well, we still need to protect our hand, although with 1/2 pot size bet you ain't gonna protect it. Rather bet it ~$1,60.
      River: But I don't like the idea of betting here into 2 opponents. Rather Check it behind and be happy if you even win the pot. I mean flushes possible/straights possible/sets possible, not much will pay you here.

Best Regards.
    • TheBrownie
      TheBrownie
      Bronze
      Yeah, all what you said makes a lot of sense. Just one thing, what isolating yourself exactly means, I see it being used quite often but don't completely understand what it means? Cheers
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by TheBrownie
      Yeah, all what you said makes a lot of sense. Just one thing, what isolating yourself exactly means, I see it being used quite often but don't completely understand what it means? Cheers
      It practically means that very few hands will pay you on this board. If you for example would be yourself on opponents position and had a weaker Qx hand. I doubt that you even would consider calling the raise but rather folding it. :) From this also comes that you are isolating yourself against better hands -> stronger holdings.
    • TheBrownie
      TheBrownie
      Bronze
      This was only one hand evaluation thread but it already game me more knowledge than several articles. I can see now why hand evaluation is so important. Thanks veriz ;)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by TheBrownie
      This was only one hand evaluation thread but it already game me more knowledge than several articles. I can see now why hand evaluation is so important. Thanks veriz ;)
      Well, that's what some ain't understanding. :D And some even don't analyze their game which is even worse. :( You are welcome of course, gonna wait for new hands from you.