This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] Overplayed AJs, but where should I chuck it?

• Scooney
      Scooney
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $1.96
      MP1:
      $4.34
      Hero:
      $3.94

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:heart: , J:heart:
      UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0.04, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.18, SB raises to $0.48, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.30.

Flop: ($1.04) A:club: , Q:spade: , 6:heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.74, Hero calls $0.74.

Turn: ($2.52) Q:heart: (2 players)
      SB raises $0.74 (All-In), Hero calls $0.74.

River: ($4.00) 6:diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.00

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows (Ah Jh)
      SB shows a full-house, queens full of aces (As Qd)

SB wins with a full-house, queens full of aces (As Qd)

Ok so I get taken to value town here, but where should I fold, if at all? Pre-flop, on the flop? I don't think I can fold on the turn when I get the flush draw - can't really specifically put him on AQ can I?
  • 5 replies
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      Standard fold pre. SB was 13/10 and he 3-bet when MP1's still in the hand.
    • mylove190207
      mylove190207
      Bronze
      I realy wanna see what coach have to say about that situation, because I have troubles too when came to that. Anyway I prefer folding before flop, when oponent 3-bet me, because he is tight and don`t have full stack.
    • Tombic
      Tombic
      Bronze
      Without reads i'd fold preflop.

If you decided to call, try to put him on range. I think he can have QQ+, AQ+s, AKo. From this range you beat only KK. Easy Fold
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mylove190207
      I realy wanna see what coach have to say about that situation, because I have troubles too when came to that. Anyway I prefer folding before flop, when oponent 3-bet me, because he is tight and don`t have full stack.
      The problem here is that a mid-stack 13/10 3bet from SB usually means QQ+. Against a full stack I don't mind calling pre with AJs and play with position.

As played, when that flop hits, I don't think we can fold AJs there, because when we decided to flat AJs against a mid stack, we should be prepared to go broke with TP. So I don't mind calling down. Although it sucks and that's why pre-flop folding is standard.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Scooney,

Nice discussion guys. :)

Preflop: My view now, there is no way we can Call vs mid-stack + such a 3bet. You ain't gonna play profitable the hand by calling since you wont hit often enough. Or either you can't overplay the hand postflop. If you had any reads/stats that he is a 3bet maniac then only reason to continue here is to go broke right here. But usually against this spot as we have it should be standard fold. No way I am going to continue.

As played
      Postflop: Well, not much to add against his stack, we ain't gonna fold our TP.

Best Regards.