[NL2-NL10] Overplayed AJs, but where should I chuck it?

• Scooney
      Scooney
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $1.96
      MP1:
      $4.34
      Hero:
      $3.94

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:heart: , J:heart:
      UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0.04, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.18, SB raises to $0.48, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.30.

Flop: ($1.04) A:club: , Q:spade: , 6:heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.74, Hero calls $0.74.

Turn: ($2.52) Q:heart: (2 players)
      SB raises $0.74 (All-In), Hero calls $0.74.

River: ($4.00) 6:diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.00

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows (Ah Jh)
      SB shows a full-house, queens full of aces (As Qd)

SB wins with a full-house, queens full of aces (As Qd)

Ok so I get taken to value town here, but where should I fold, if at all? Pre-flop, on the flop? I don't think I can fold on the turn when I get the flush draw - can't really specifically put him on AQ can I?
  • 5 replies
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      Standard fold pre. SB was 13/10 and he 3-bet when MP1's still in the hand.
    • mylove190207
      mylove190207
      Bronze
      I realy wanna see what coach have to say about that situation, because I have troubles too when came to that. Anyway I prefer folding before flop, when oponent 3-bet me, because he is tight and don`t have full stack.
    • Tombic
      Tombic
      Bronze
      Without reads i'd fold preflop.

If you decided to call, try to put him on range. I think he can have QQ+, AQ+s, AKo. From this range you beat only KK. Easy Fold
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mylove190207
      I realy wanna see what coach have to say about that situation, because I have troubles too when came to that. Anyway I prefer folding before flop, when oponent 3-bet me, because he is tight and don`t have full stack.
      The problem here is that a mid-stack 13/10 3bet from SB usually means QQ+. Against a full stack I don't mind calling pre with AJs and play with position.

As played, when that flop hits, I don't think we can fold AJs there, because when we decided to flat AJs against a mid stack, we should be prepared to go broke with TP. So I don't mind calling down. Although it sucks and that's why pre-flop folding is standard.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Scooney,

Nice discussion guys. :)

Preflop: My view now, there is no way we can Call vs mid-stack + such a 3bet. You ain't gonna play profitable the hand by calling since you wont hit often enough. Or either you can't overplay the hand postflop. If you had any reads/stats that he is a 3bet maniac then only reason to continue here is to go broke right here. But usually against this spot as we have it should be standard fold. No way I am going to continue.

As played
      Postflop: Well, not much to add against his stack, we ain't gonna fold our TP.

Best Regards.