sjeesss

• 4 replies
    • sjeesss
      sjeesss
      Bronze
      Hello everyone,

Just a brief introduction of the poker-me:
      I started playing poker online in 2007, though I did not play regularly. When I ran good, I cashed some of my BR, because I played mostly for fun, with a hope for some extra $$.

The previous year I had a financial benefit which encouraged me to increase my online play. Beacuse of bad play I started losing money and chased it by moving up in the limits. This resulted in a short upswing which cuased me to believe I was ready to play on those stakes. Due to bad BRM and tilt issues my BR vanished and I ended up not playing that often anymore.

This year I started playing again and mostly played (tried my 'luck') at NL25 short HU. Because I really like the action HU gives, I ended up playing this game for quite a while, unfortunately not being a winning player. Sometimes when I run good, my bankroll builds up to around 20BI which made me believe I was able to compete at this level. Unfortunately when I lose 3BI, I tend to chase my losses on NL50shortHU or even NL100shortHU, which almost always results in busting my BR.

I play the occasional MTT, because I believe I tend to less easily tilt in a tournament, because the effect of a bad decision is bigger. This sometimes results in a good finish, but as is the fact with cash games, I usually end up playing at higher limits than I can afford.

Overall I can say that tilting is one of my main flaws in playing poker. That's why I decided to try to do things by the book this time and started this course. I hope I can prove to be a good student and slowly work my way up the lower limits. I hope it's needless to say my focus will be solely on playing FR, not HU..

Because of some factors (grades, willingness to compete and study) I do think I can be a winning poker player on the lower limits if I put some work to it and am anxious to prove it. I plan to do the work this time that is apparently obligatory.. ;-)

Regards,

sjeesss
    • sjeesss
      sjeesss
      Bronze
      Should I raise the turn?

Is the huge overbet on the flop ok?
    • sjeesss
      sjeesss
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

Just a brief introduction of the poker-me:
      I started playing poker online in 2007, though I did not play regularly. When I ran good, I cashed some of my BR, because I played mostly for fun, with a hope for some extra $$.

The previous year I had a financial benefit which encouraged me to increase my online play. Beacuse of bad play I started losing money and chased it by moving up in the limits. This resulted in a short upswing which cuased me to believe I was ready to play on those stakes. Due to bad BRM and tilt issues my BR vanished and I ended up not playing that often anymore.

This year I started playing again and mostly played (tried my 'luck') at NL25 short HU. Because I really like the action HU gives, I ended up playing this game for quite a while, unfortunately not being a winning player. Sometimes when I run good, my bankroll builds up to around 20BI which made me believe I was able to compete at this level. Unfortunately when I lose 3BI, I tend to chase my losses on NL50shortHU or even NL100shortHU, which almost always results in busting my BR.

I play the occasional MTT, because I believe I tend to less easily tilt in a tournament, because the effect of a bad decision is bigger. This sometimes results in a good finish, but as is the fact with cash games, I usually end up playing at higher limits than I can afford.

Because of some factors (grades, willingness to compete and study) I do think I can be a winning poker player on the lower limits if I put some work to it and am anxious to prove it. I plan to do the work this time that is apparently obligatory.. ;-)

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)

Overall I can say that tilting is one of my main flaws in playing poker. That's why I decided to try to do things by the book this time and started this course. I hope I can prove to be a good student and slowly work my way up the lower limits. I hope it's needless to say my focus will be solely on playing FR, not HU..

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)

A TAG-player plays tight, which means playing only strong hands. He also plays the hands he does chooses to play aggressively. TAG works because you put yourself in spots where its less likely to make mistakes and your opponents in spots where they have to make difficult decisions.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

HU involves a lot variance and I would strongly recommend avoiding it. You can easily blow away your whole BR there with tilting. If you aren't experienced then it's most likely the case even. :(

Tight style is usually called playing rather few hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Some more points earned.