Can't concentrate

• Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      I think it may be because I think I'm chronically tilted. I realized I unconsciously think it's not worth thinking about my plays because the variance is too big and I may lose 2 or 3 buy-ins very fast even if I play right. I can't focus on the long term, I always get tilted if I lose even 1/2 buy-in in a session (especially if I'm not winning much lately). I'm also always thinking I have to get back what I lost in the last weeks. What doesn't help also it that I'm tired of NL10, this money doesn't mean anything to me, I have a bankroll that allows me to play even NL200. I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself to get a good winrate to go up to NL25 (I won't wait until I get 25 BIs on NL25) because I already have that, but I won that a long time ago).
      What also doesn't help is that I play after I come from the university, when I'm usually mentally tired. And the fact that I'm only able to play like 400 hands/day helps me focusing on the short-term rather than on the long-term.

My mindset is completely wrong, and because of it I get tilted very fast and start playing like a donk and never think about the plays I'm making. This destroys my confidence in my game and then my bankroll goes to hell.

I took a break of a week recently, but it didn't help. What should I do? ?(
  • 11 replies
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      Reread what you have just posted, you pretty much know what to do. Use the force young jedi, you are minted also, soooooooooo the question is did you win it playing and never moved up or did you have the money and just invested in the game.
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ArkhamAsylum
      Reread what you have just posted, you pretty much know what to do. Use the force young jedi, you are minted also, soooooooooo the question is did you win it playing and never moved up or did you have the money and just invested in the game.
      I won it mostly from TAF, I didn't win much by playing.
    • MathhNes
      MathhNes
      Bronze
      Go buy Jared tendler's book ASAP. It's worth everything to you. It takes hard work to fix your mental game, but it definitely can be done :) .

Buy it here: http://jaredtendlerpoker.com/thementalgameofpoker/

Very good book
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MathhNes
      Go buy Jared tendler's book ASAP. It's worth everything to you. It takes hard work to fix your mental game, but it definitely can be done :) .

Very good book
      so you say its fixable ? than it might be the first book I buy online !

btw I have the same problem as Tosh, but the feeling never stopped..maybe like once for 2days when I was running good, beside that not much.. say you have KK vs 99 in a 6handed game..he sucks out, you go mad, start 3betting every shit and tripple barrel any flop..if you want to stop spewing, the only thing to do (short term) is to stand up, leave the pc, go smoke if ur a smoker, go for a walk..depending on the badbeat you need at least half hour... usually I go for a smoke thats like 3-4minutes, then I play again, but I know I'm still mad coz of the badbeat and I never play my A-game...so half hour+ at least.. or try watching some comedy serial as a break, anything that makes you not think of the hand itself. If you lose like, say 5+ buyins in 10-30minutes, you should stop for the whole day... now long term.. I dont know...meditation maybe would help or the easiest one...just try to run good, and luckbox :) ) but its really hard, some ppl are much more emotional than others, just like I am. In 2years of playing poker, I learned how to have "less" anger and hate etc against those who suckout... like..2year ago, I couldnt stop swearing for half hour, for a single allin that I lost to a bad beat.. now I just sigh loud and move on.

If you come up with something good post it here.
    • MathhNes
      MathhNes
      Bronze
      Originally posted by OZSA
      Originally posted by MathhNes

so you say its fixable ? than it might be the first book I buy online !
      There is no doubt about it. Tilt and bad mindset has a cure, and it is not something that is doomed to be with you the rest of your poker career.
    • Mystt
      Mystt
      Bronze
      Hey T.

Here is what I would do if I were you. If you have the bankroll I think you should just move up to NL25. If you have enough to play NL200, it shouldn't be any issue with swings mentaly. It will give you that extra focus that you need. Also you might invest a some of the BR if it is so large to get a few hours with a pro coach. That way you should find your leaks fast and have a reassurance about your play on the new level and progress. Also it should get you the needed focus, because you will have a lot of new stuff to work on. Old stuff becomes boring fast hehe. You must challenge yourself to improve. Smartly though :)

I think this contirbutes a lot to the problem, since you are just hoping to get better results, so you can go to the next level and have no motivation at your level. Result oriented=bad for business.

About mentality, I dunno if you play for longer you know how many times you get bad beats, silly plays against you turning good etc. A lot of times the edge is not even so big in the long run. I mean 70:30, 60:40.. that is still losing quite some times when you are favourite. Just accept it :P
      It's all about doing the right plays. Even when you are running bad, you are making money. If you lose $40 instead of tiltin and losing $80, you just made $40 ;) And good and bad session are just a part of the game.

You have to explain to yourself in a way that works for you on what you have to focus.
    • Tironci
      Tironci
      Bronze
      Everytime I'm mentally or even physically tired I use music to relax me and help me concentrate.I put a radio on (on my pc) and that's all.

Also, I do that for tournaments.

(closing any other window helps also)
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      +1 for JT's book.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      I won it mostly from TAF, I didn't win much by playing.

Don't touch that money, better cash out. If you will cashout them, maybe it would be better psychologically - you will not see them as a big bandkroll. I also have money from TAF, maybe I could play even NL50, but I am not doing that. One good thing as someone said would be to invest those in proffesional coach.
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      Wait.. you have a bankroll for nl200 but not for nl25?
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      He probably has enough money to play nl200 but doesn't feel confident enough in his skill level to move up to nl25. Personally I don't think the difference between nl10 and nl25 is that huge. There is enough fish to go around on both levels.

I'd probably move up quickly if I had a roll to play nl200. I know by my own play that I start spew if the money means nothing.