Kennethjeu

• 8 replies
    • kennethjeu
      kennethjeu
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I'm playing poker for a few years now, but it was only a few times a year with some friends live. Now I started playing poker online (this site helped me setting my first steps in the online poker world again after FT went black) more serious than before. I want to learn more about the game and make my decisions more because of the theory than because of the 'feeling'. While learning I want to climb up the stakes to get out of the 'retard-zone' and mix among the 'good' poker players.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

The past few weeks I learned a lot due to the articles here and so I fixed some of my problems i had. For starters I really overestimated how strong hands like QJo etc are. Next I realized that position in poker is way more important than I thought it was. Etc....
      I do still have the problem of knowing I may not make a call, but actually make the call to see wether i was right or not! Need to get rid of that impulse asap!

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Since I have not re-read all the articles, because I all read them in the past (some more than once) I will not be able to give a word-by-word definition of a Tight Aggressive player.
      I think a player who is tight is a player that does not play every hand he gets. He waits for the combination of the right spot and the right hand. 72o for example is a no-go for a tight player no matter what spot he is in.
      A player that is aggressive on top of being tight will be a active player (instead of a passive one). Meaning that this kind of player will often take the initiative in the pot. He will not give the opponents the opportunity of getting free (or cheap) cards for making their draws. Once an aggressive player has a hand, he will make sure the weak hands (usually) will not stay in the hand for long.
    • kennethjeu
      kennethjeu
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

I play QQ like i play KK and AA preflop, would love to have the money in before the flop. Cause i think on the lower levels especialy, people think AK is realy the nuts (or even AQ, AJ, ...) so in the worst case u get called by AA, KK; i know then ur realy behind, but that doesnt happen too often. Otherwise u get called by AK and there u % in favour, so every time u get the QQ all-in (2$ BI and 4$ pot) against AK u have an equity of 56% (so u win every hand .12$ in the worst case). If they call u with any 2 (but AA, KK, AK and QQ) u have an equity of 81% (so u win .62$ in that spot).
      JJ i think is a whole other story because there are a lot more starting hands that are better or closer too the value of JJ (i think).

please comment this thinking? :)

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

I have posted some hands over in the dutch forum :)

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

AK has 46,32%
      5% range has 53,68%

so in short, 5%range is 8% ahead :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time. The same goes for Calling too light down to see what opponent has.

What about your tilt? How do you adjust to that?

Tight style is usually called playing rather few hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Some more points earned.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Well, you definitely overplaying your QQ. Totally disagree that you can play them as KK/AA. Since with KK/AA you at least ain't gonna be flipping. And mostly people still tend to go broke with rather KK+/AK so against that kind of range your QQ ain't gonna be very good. Would advice to post some hands about QQ and take a look how you played it. Might be that you have a leak in playing them.

Well, for get the understanding how you play your hands would be nice if you posted some into ENG as well. :) But of course it ain't a must, dutch community is a great one! Very friendly judges and I have met some of them my own while I was @ Gibraltar.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • kennethjeu
      kennethjeu
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz

What about your tilt? How do you adjust to that?

I dont think i ever tilted... Usually i stop playing if i get bad beat a few times in a short period... i know losing is a part of the learning process and i know i have yet to learn a lot. Also if i start thinking about beaten hands when deciding on other hands i know i have to go do something else...

Originally posted by veriz
      Would advice to post some hands about QQ and take a look how you played it. Might be that you have a leak in playing them.
      Will look some up in my database! Expect them to come soon ;)
    • kennethjeu
      kennethjeu
      Bronze
      Ok since i only recently started using HEM, i dont have a lot of hands in DB yet... Here 2 hands i played QQ:

Hand 1:

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      BU (Hero):
      $1.71
      SB:
      $1.99
      BB:
      $1.89
      UTG2:
      $0.77
      MP1:
      $1.73
      MP2:
      $1.07
      MP3:
      $3.21
      CO:
      $2.00

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q, Q.
      UTG2 raises to $0.06, 4 folds, Hero raises to $0.18, 2 folds, UTG2 raises to $0.40, Hero raises to $1.71, UTG2 calls $0.37.

Flop: ($2.51) 3, J, J (2 players)

Turn: ($2.51) 3 (2 players)

River: ($2.51) 8 (2 players)

Final Pot: $2.51.
      Results follow:

UTG2 shows two pairs, jacks and threes(K A).
      Hero shows two pairs, queens and jacks(Q Q).

Hero wins with two pairs, queens and jacks(Q Q).

Hand 2:

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $2.00
      UTG2:
      $2.50
      MP1:
      $0.65
      MP2:
      $0.61
      MP3:
      $2.16
      CO:
      $5.08
      BU:
      $2.23
      SB (Hero):
      $1.51

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q, Q.
      UTG2 raises to $0.16, 5 folds, Hero raises to $0.36, BB folds, UTG2 calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.74) Q, 5, 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.38, UTG2 raises to $2.14, Hero calls $0.77.

Turn: ($4.03) 3 (2 players)

River: ($4.03) 4 (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.03.
      Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, queens(Q Q).
      UTG2 shows a straight, seven high(7 7).

UTG2 wins with a straight, seven high(7 7).
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello kennethjeu,

Would be nice if you would post them into Hand Evaluation forums, as you may understand it might get too much spammed and it's hard to follow the hands here. So please could you post them into the other section. :)

Best Regards.
    • kennethjeu
      kennethjeu
      Bronze
      Oh ok no problem! :)