Carry on playing during a loosing session/downswing

• SnakeDoctor44
      SnakeDoctor44
      Bronze
      Ok, today I lost 9 buy ins for 5/10 cash games ($90)

First hand - AA v QQ preflop all in... They hit a queen on the river
      2 - JJ v QQ - Flop was X-J-Q... lost set over set
      3 - All in preflop AA v AK... They hit trip kings on the turn and river.
      4 - My fault, when facing a re-raise preflop with pocket Jacks against the player who flopped the 3 kings I pushed all in, he had KK this time
      5 - Flopped the nut straight (3,5) Flop: 2,4,7 rainbow... Guy pushed all in with 8,9 and hit the gutshot on the river... Needless to say I was mad

6 - This is when I quit and convinced myself I was cursed

Pacific Poker - $0.10 NL - Holdem - 7 players

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has Ah Ac

fold, fold, MP calls $0.10, CO raises to $0.30, Hero raises to $10.56 and is all-in, fold, fold, fold, CO calls $3.67

Flop: ($8.19, 2 players) 4s 8c Kc

Turn: ($8.19, 2 players) Ks

River: ($8.19, 2 players) Js

CO shows Kd Kh (Four of a Kind, Kings) (PreFlop 18%, Flop 88%, Turn 100%)
      Hero shows Ah Ac (Two Pair, Aces and Kings) (PreFlop 82%, Flop 12%, Turn 0%)
      CO wins $7.79

After every bad beat I stayed calm, went for a smoke and came back. But I decided to call it a day after that hand.

My question is, is it ok to carry on playing even during the most outrageous bad beats, surely getting your money in as 80 percent favorite and loosing 5 times would throw even the best off their game.

I just can't help feeling helpless when this happens and feel awful when I see my bankroll slowly dropping.
  • 7 replies
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well if your tilted or you feel like your not playing your best then you should take a break for however long you need. If it takes 2 BI loss or 10BI loss to tilt you it doesn't really matter. Some people wont get tilted untill they lose 20 or 30 BI and some might tilt after only losing 5BI's.

As long as you dont tilt you dont have to stop playing. You should stop whenever you feel like your not playing your A game.
    • Zuttasoxx
      Zuttasoxx
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SnakeDoctor44

5 - Flopped the nut straight (3,5) Flop: 2,4,7 rainbow... Guy pushed all in with 8,9 and hit the gutshot on the river... Needless to say I was mad

Maybe you shoved when you don't have a straight that makes you lose? :D

But I always stop when I feel like it's a bad day. That the cards just aren't falling
    • NenadNacevic
      NenadNacevic
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SnakeDoctor44
    • Scaletta
      Scaletta
      Bronze
      I know what you feel man... I also play NL10 (but short stack with $3 buy in) and I've been on a losing streak for almost a month now. I've fallen from $120 to $70 and things don't seem to get any better. Just the pther day I lost all ins to pocket deuces twice (JJ vs 22 - villain hit trips on the river; AK vs 22 - my hand was good enough for only Ace high).

Anyways, like someone said earlier, quit when you feel like you're not playing your A-game anymore. I always try to consider myself as a calm person and figured tilting would not be a problem for me, but unfortunately playing has showed the other way around. After a couple of bad beats I sometimes (thankfully not always) do stupid sh!t like shove AQ or AJ (and of course, lose). The worst part is, I've been so busy acquiring PartyPoints (I play on PP) for both clearing my bonuses and participating in promos that playing my best has not been a priority for me anymore and I've continued playing even when tilting or reaallly feeling like it is not my day at the tables.

Oh, and I'd like to add a sample of a cursed table: I had lost 3 buy ins at that one table, always rebuying (I didn't even do any stupid moves, all standard JJ+ or AK all ins). So, this time I get QQ. Another player raises from an early position, I'm on late and shove. The villain calls, I'm like "F#ck, he has AA or KK!"

Flop comes Qxx - I'm thinking "YES! This one's mine!"

Turn - random card
      River - Ace

Villain had AA. That's when I finally left that darn table :)
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      That last one wasn't a bad beat...
    • Scaletta
      Scaletta
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Maniatrix
      That last one wasn't a bad beat...
      Was that @ me or @ the OP?

If me- I didn't say it was a bad beat, just an unlucky table
    • deezer79
      deezer79
      Silver
      I get those kind of beats (am also on downswing) then I can't carry on playing. Reckon that I get all cynical about poker and leave it till I'm in a better mindset.

Stopped playing over the last couple of days and picked it up again about an hour and a half ago - felt invigorated and ready for battle. Made 1st in a $5 6max SnG, made about $6 in NL6 cash games and then decided to play a $5 freeze-out tourney. Just got my 40BB stack in with AA against 99, needless to say I had no chance.

Now don't want to play anymore. You sound like you have a better work ethic than me tho - no way I could keep playing after all that nastiness. Do you feel that you were playing any different than usual after the first couple of beats?