Angry wife bankrupting husbands poker bankroll

• SnakeDoctor44
      SnakeDoctor44
      Bronze
      Give your opinions on what you would do in this situation.

A friend of mine (irl) was playing on Poker Stars when he came across this person who would announce her hands and go all in trying to loose money on purpose. My friend obviously took this blessing and made around $1000 before the person left the table. She admitted she caught her husband cheating on her and wanted to punish him by ruining his Poker career.

My friend was later banned for taking the money however when emailing PokerStars saying he would give the winnings back he was unbanned (But they didn't remove the $1000+ he made, which was great seeing as he only had $100 when he started the session, Some other people at the same table made a fair amount from the woman aswell but it's unknown what happened to them.

What would you do in this situation? Obviously the Woman was commiting a crime (I think, not sure on the Law about spending you're partners money) and technically stealing from her husband. All my friend did was accept free money from an unknown source during a Poker game. It's not agianst the rules to tell people you're hand and it's not against the rules to go all in when you know your opponents hand.

Would you accept this blessing or refuse to take the money?

If someone robbed a bank and started throwing away handfulls of cash would you walk away or pocket it?
  • 20 replies
    • mrkhaan
      mrkhaan
      Bronze
      Technically it wasn't necessarily stealing (I'm talking about the wife here). It depends where the money came from. If it was clearly the guys money, like he won it on pokerstars it could be considerate stealing depending on the country laws. If this was common money deposited from a joined account, it wasn't stealing.
      Now, if the woman told her hands on the chat to everyone, in english, so it can be understand by any player, the guy shouldn't be penalized in my opinion, since he wasn't the only one to have access to this info and didn't do any infraction to access this info, it is not cheating.
      The problem is more on a moral level imo, I don't think I would take the money. The right thing to do in that situation is to contact right away the room and let them deal with it. Interesting case anyway.
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      I think there's a bigger lesson to be learned here.

• 1984ioc
      1984ioc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by datsmahname

whats that
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      Pokerstars RSA secruity token
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      This is just another example of poker room trying to scam an extra buck.
      They ban the players who won the money, seize their accounts, but give nothing back to the guy who lost the money. Where does money go? To the poker room of course.
    • ZeroDegrees
      ZeroDegrees
      Bronze
      Can't compare cheating to stealing, which count to zip in this case. I probably take the money if I could get away with it. Heard a story about a man who left his wife for a young girl and went abroad. He wired his wife the message: 'Sell the Porsche and send me the money'. The wife put it out for sale for 1 SEK (15 cents) and sent him the money :D

+1 to Maniatrix
    • oblitron
      oblitron
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ZeroDegrees
      Heard a story about a man who left his wife for a young girl and went abroad. He wired his wife the message: 'Sell the Porsche and send me the money'. The wife put it out for sale for 1 SEK (15 cents) and sent him the money :D
      Or, most probably, actually sold it for 200,000 SEK and told him she sold it for 1. Well, that's what I would do anyway. :P
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      I think a few things can be learned there.

First by law, one person telling his/her hole cards and the other(s) acting reacting based on that is called colluding (whether you know that person or not) and that's strictly against any poker rooms rules. The fact that your friend was able to keep the money and got unbanned is great but I think he was lucky. Even though he did not think at the time he was doing anything wrong in many case ignorance of the rules is not an excuse

Also, to explain the situation fully and truthfully is generally the best way to get things sorted in a suitable manner
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Originally posted by datsmahname

+1
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      'A friend of mine...' ;)
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      What a bitch.

Anyways, she couldn't find a way to lose the money without telling his hole cards? God, not the brightest pencil in the box either.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Maybe he should have bought his wife flowers every now and then or took her for a nice meal, this may have been +Ev in the long run :)

Cheating on wife = -EV :(

As for some unknown person telling me what their hands are.........mmmm tough call :D

Roo
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by roopopper
      Maybe he should have bought his wife flowers every now and then or took her for a nice meal, this may have been +Ev in the long run :)

wife = -EV :(

As for some unknown person telling me what their hands are.........mmmm tough call :D

Roo
      FYP
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      Originally posted by roopopper

wife = -EV :(

Roo
      FYP
      lol nice edit!!! what was I thinking ;)
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fuzzyfish
      What a bitch.

Anyways, she couldn't find a way to lose the money without telling his hole cards? God, not the brightest pencil in the box either.
      Maybe she wanted to lose all the money AND make sure he never plays poker there -> "If I do something illegal they will ban him" :f_cool:
    • buzzinace
      buzzinace
      Bronze
      If it ends in the divorce court she'll probably get 50% of what he's worth... which is now a couple of grand less than a few weeks ago. FAIL.

As for the moral dilemma. It is kinda similar to the scenario where you go to the ATM and get £100 instead of the £10 you requested. Do you:
      A. Request another £10 and see what happens?
      B. Walk into the nearest branch and warn them that their machine is broken?

The answer is usually pretty obvious. :D
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      As for the moral dilemma. It is kinda similar to the scenario where you go to the ATM and get £100 instead of the £10 you requested. Do you: A. Request another £10 and see what happens? B. Walk into the nearest branch and warn them that their machine is broken? The answer is usually pretty obvious.

had been in such situation :) the ATM douled the ammount of requested money, something like 100$ :) but I did not cashout all the money, was afraid of something bad to happen. And it did - after few weeks bank called me and asked to give back those extra money. I just gave back :( But I heard some of people made few hundred dollars profit because those who made cashouts using cards of different banks, they had not been called and asked to give back.
    • MikeyH
      MikeyH
      Bronze
      Originally posted by buzzinace
      As for the moral dilemma. It is kinda similar to the scenario where you go to the ATM and get £100 instead of the £10 you requested. Do you:
      A. Request another £10 and see what happens?
      B. Walk into the nearest branch and warn them that their machine is broken?

The answer is usually pretty obvious. :D
      http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article6339935.ece
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      I moved the thread to small talk where it belongs

Regards

Thazar