Amplifyd - Journey to the highstakes

• amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      Ok, so I kinda neglected my old blog and in short since like black friday poker has just been going shit for me, so I fancy starting afresh again and I always think having a blog helps, so yeah - making a new blog :f_biggrin:

I am 19 and going into my 2nd year at manchester uni studying maths. Been playing for around 2 years now and I've had ok success at poker - only had to deposit about $300 and I've made quite a decent profit off my initial deposit - mostly coming from mtt's but also won at cash games too.

Since last year at uni I pretty much didn't attend because I was practically grinding mtt's like a mtt pro and the hours don't really fit with that of lectures in university, and because I don't want to get back into that habit again I've decided to start learning cash games.

I am going to start at nl25, and I've allocated a pretty decent bankroll with which to start with (since I reckon I beat this limit) and hopefully I can get up to NL100 by christmas. I'm going to play FR just because it's easier and I like to masstable (I know that's probably not the best thinking, but its definetly where I'm most comfortable to start at)

I'm trying to think at the moment what I want to get out of poker in the next 5 years. Ideally it is reaching mid-high stakes (NL400+) by the time I graduate but I may also transition back to mtts once I finish university, and I would definetly want to be at the point where I can beat HSMTTs. FWIW, I am 60% sure I would like to play poker after university (likely going to take a 'trial year') but other than that not many other jobs interest me.

Right now at the moment I'm just going to concentrate on playing the best poker I'm capable of when I do put in sessions. I'm lucky in that I don't really have to worry financially since I have more than enough savings put away and also I can get by on the student loan for the most part. That is assuming I don't go buying ridiculously expensive drinks when I go out (which I kinda have a habit of doing)

Anyway realised that was a bit of a wall of text, so if you got down to here actually reading it all, congrats :s_biggrin:

• 39 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hey amplifyd,

Glad to see you back in our blog section :) I like fresh starts. They show signs of ambition and willingness to stand up even if we've been knocked down (once or more).

looking forward to your updates!

Ingi
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Welcome back

I was following the last blog and will keep following this one as well.

gogogo
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      I'll be following, just to make sure you don't neglect your maths! :f_mad:
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      I shall be following this blog for sure, I was in a similar situation last year - well my poker was nowhere near as profitable as yours haha

just give up on time eaters such as tv, playing video games etc

I'm going to uni full time,working ~25hrs a week and trying to fit in poker in there.

I go out a max once a week just now, dont mind it - weather's shite here just now
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Been missing you around here, wb!
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jbpatzer
      That's right :s_evil: JB is around watching you!
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by IngridN
      Originally posted by jbpatzer
      That's right :s_evil: JB is around watching you!
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      Thanks guys will try not to make this blog too boring :f_love:

Was talking last night to a few friends in poker and I realised quite a lot of stuff (about grinding mtts) but I'm going to post them :

a) When I was grinding mtts for like 12h a day I didn't actually like it because it left very little time for a social life, or for uni work or pretty much just to do anything other than poker and sleep - and pretty much the only thing that kept me doing it for the 2/3 months that I did it for was the sick 10k months I was having at the time.

It's hard to say whether if I could turn back time would I do the same, I think I probably would but I would try much harder to balance, cos litreally when I would go out with friends or actually go into uni and see my friends they would be like "oh thought you were dead" or "thought you had left uni" lolz - so yeah I think I did get like completely addicted to mtts for a while, but imo I have a much better grip on being able to balance now.

b) Because your "cash flow" is soooooooo swingy I found myself spending way too much uneccesarily. Like when you win $5k in one day you don't really care about spending $200 on a night out the next day. If i only did this when I actually won 5k$ it wouldn't be so bad, but I had/have a habit of doing it too frequently. So I was just spewing way too much money irl, and in short I would be a lot better off right now if I hadn't balled out so much. But realised this recently and that I don't have enough money to spend so much on nights out nor do I need to, so working on cutting down. Playing cash games should help since my (hopefully gonna have one) income will be a lot steadier.

I've had some pretty epic nights out though - think the most I ever spent was $500. Went on holiday with a member off here (fusionpk) to napa in the summer though and we had a bill in a club for ~800eur which was quite lolz :s_biggrin:

Anyway going to finish watching this episode of fresh meat (cool series btw - if you are at uni you can relate with it loads and it's pretty funny) then going to load up a few tables I think.
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by amplifyd
      I've had some pretty epic nights out though - think the most I ever spent was $500. Went on holiday with a member off here (fusionpk) to napa in the summer though and we had a bill in a club for ~800eur which was quite lolz :s_biggrin:
      pics or didn't happen! :D

this blog is everything but boring :s_cool:
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze

Ok here you go :

I am far left, and fusion is far right.

edit: Is stars down atm or something?
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      yeah stars is down

great pic joe.............. not

then again i just looked through all the pics, pretty hard to find any decent ones???.... bladdered
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      weee! thanks :D looks like great fun!

ps: Stars is not letting me connect, maybe maintenance. wait a bit imo.
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze

Ok here you go :

I am far left, and fusion is far right.

edit: Is stars down atm or something?
      Hmm, you guys are clearly doing it wrong ?(

think you could end up in this setup by spending 20€ on two bottles of cheap vodka :)

j/k off course and nice to see you blog again, I'm curious to see if you'll crush Cg the same way you did with tourneys.
    • bonebt
      bonebt
      Bronze
      gl @cg
      how many tables r u planing to play at time and r u going to play on stars only or what?
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bonebt
      gl @cg
      how many tables r u planing to play at time and r u going to play on stars only or what?
      stars only and 24 tabling, probs go down to 16 when i move up to nl50 - but I think I can beat nl25 24 tabling for a decent hourly.
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      +1 will be interesting to see how far you can get :)

GL!! :f_love:
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      Small update - played around 10k hands so far at nl25. I think it has took me about 5k hands to adjust - i'm about +3bi so far, but was breakeven for the first 5k hands - played way too loose and was a bit spewy imo - hopefully adjusting well now though.

Not much happened irl since my last update - just been going to lectures and uni like a good student :f_biggrin: Think me and my mates in my house are going round to another mates house to watch the footy tonight, and probs take it from there - daresay I will end up smashed though :f_cool:

Depending on how much volume I put in this weekend I might post a giraffe in my next update.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      glglglgl with your new blog ampy!

balance is important so you wont fall down. but if you do, then its ok, you only have to get up again. unless you fell into an abyss. then you would need some rope and some mountain picks.

ruining your blog with my ranting already! :f_biggrin:
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      If you don't mind me asking, how long'd it take to put in 10k hands with 24tabling?

I'm a newbie fish, so I only 9table myself :(