Can't even play now...

• vanderveen89
      vanderveen89
      Bronze
      I went from an original investment of 30$ to $100 recently. And in three sit ins, I've swung down to $89. Now I tilt as soon as I lose a hand. I'm on such a short fuse, and I used to be able to handle them so well...
      Thing is my job is seasonal and I am out for two weeks of work now, and missing a LOT of money, and the financial problems are stressing me out so much... Ridiculously. I feel like shit all day long, working out helps for a few hours, but after a while I go back to being completely depressed.

I don't think I can even play poker again until I deal with these problems can I?
  • 6 replies
    • ii40747
      ii40747
      Bronze
      I was/am in the same situation. It's really hard not to be result oriented when you need the money. And that's so -EV, it causes you to tilt so much ! I worked on my mindset a lot, and now am playing my best every time I sit down at tables. There are times when I'm depressed/not in the grind mood and when I make first mistake I grew to be strong enough to quit that moment and wait for inspiration to come again. It helps to go for a walk or just simply move from poker for couple of hours to realize spewing off money is the worst thing I could do. So I return fully motivated and play my A game. Mindset is the key in poker and you have to be double as strong in your head if you're playing for the money you can't afford to lose.
    • L3ST
      L3ST
      Bronze
      It's just playchips, mate. Assume you want to reach 1 mirrion chips by the end of next year and play accordingly.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      @ ii40747...absolutely agree. I've played for over 3 years now and certainly can't reload, but what I found after a period of time was to be col and calculating. I also became better at saving chips than winning them if you know what I mean. Lol.

I can only suggest to the OP they don't play with a weak mindset, Ithink they know it will cost them money.
      Nt a lot of help I know, but it's really all I've got.
      GL. :)
    • vanderveen89
      vanderveen89
      Bronze
      I'm aware how important it is to have the right mindset and be cool about the game. I feel ii40747 really understands what I'm talking about better than the other post. I appreciate the support, and I am typically very strong and resistant to mental "fogging" I would call it.
      I think rather than simply coming back when I'm in a good mood, because I know my stress levels are invisibly built up (like a glass of water that is almost full), I am going to give it a break for a while, until I have been comfortably stress free for a longer amount of time, like a couple days. Then I can come back with a half to empty glass of water, and have some breathing room mentally. From there I should be far more capable of managing myself than before. I still feel like I need to win my money back, and haven't accepted that I lost and my balance is down now. But I'm getting there. I think tomorrow I might be fine, I just need to keep working on other things, and relieving my stress.
    • ii40747
      ii40747
      Bronze
      Just two more things. First, when you start to feel you have to win back some spewed money stop playing that moment, and take a break. Second start thinking about hands you lost on a bad beat. Try to find a different way of playing that hand that would be more profitable. If there wasn't any than you have to laugh it off and congratulate yourself on making the best play, if there was than you obviously have to work on your game in that kind of spots. It's not enough to win your hand, you have to win as much chips as you can. If you missed a value bet it should get to you much more than if you lost 70-30 all in ! GL!
    • SnakeDoctor44
      SnakeDoctor44
      Bronze
      I know how you feel. I just came back to poker with a $500 bankroll, I was multitabling nl10 tables and won $60 in my first session, on day 2 I lost $100 and it felt like my bankroll was in a bucket with a hole in the bottom and I was just leaking cash left, right and center. I am now on day 5 and managed to claw my bankroll back up to $530.

When you are feeling down it's best to just take a break. When I was $50 down on day 2 I was making bad decisions, like calling with A high straights when it was obvious they had the flush and every time I flopped a monster hand I would be overly eager to get paid off that I made bad desisions and ended up getting paid minimum for the hand.

Now I am on the up and playing great. If you be patient and play 100 percent you will make more money than you lose.