Long Time Pokerstars Player

• paulcan68
      paulcan68
      Bronze
      Recently took up the offer of $50 free starting capital at party Poker and was quiet surprised with the ease of doing well playing $6, $11, and $22 tourneys. Playing pokerstars I have won a few tournaments over the course of 3 years but in the first 2 weeks of playing Party Poker have already won a tourney cashing $672 first place, and placed in the money in 4 out of 6 tourneys I have played, now have a good bankroll and looking forward to grinding out a few more wins. Thanks to Poker Strategy for the starting capital. I think from being a long time player at Pokerstars has taught me alot and competing against 1000 plus players in $2 and $3 tourneys has taught me how to really grind out a tourney to place in the money, so playing Party Poker with only 250 players in these types of toruneys is very profitable. You will continue to see me at the tables, but also on the pokerstars site to keep my skills in check reminding me of the grind required to win by playing smart. Have also played one of the $200K turneys on Party Poker buy in of $200 +$15, only just missed out on placing in the money but ran very bad the whole tourney. One thing about poker I have learnt is you have to be patient for the cards and importantly position to win and remeber sometimes you just dont get the cards or position all the time. Love my poker!

Thanks again Poker Strategy.
  • 13 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi paulcan68,

Welcome to our community,

Zomg! You have brilliant results so far. I also play at Stars (nicesttroll) and would love to hear your opinion about tournament play.

I think from being a long time player at Pokerstars has taught me alot and competing against 1000 plus players in $2 and $3 tourneys has taught me how to really grind out a tourney to place in the money, so playing Party Poker with only 250 players in these types of toruneys is very profitable.

what do you mean? can you please explain us your strategy and what you learned through playing those micro stake mtt's?

I play 180 man $1 hyperz or Ladies event's on Sunday but I find it hard to get a good balance with mtt's. You either card dead or lucky imo.

One thing about poker I have learnt is you have to be patient for the cards and importantly position to win and remeber sometimes you just dont get the cards or position all the time. Love my poker!
      exactly! :heart:

Looking forward to see more of you! Stars a blog? :)

Ingrid
    • paulcan68
      paulcan68
      Bronze
      Hi Ingrid,

I think the only thing I can say about my strategy is to play tight agressive poker early it is so important to get a good start to your chip stack early u dont want to be playing with a short stack early. I find once you have say 50bb then I loosen up and play a wider range and definetly make sure to steal as many blinds as possible once u get a read on the weaker players. I find that once you have the chip lead at your table u can certainly be the bully which I think you must do, make it expensive for others to see the next card on the turn and the river and always play position and be patient for the opportunities to chip up to arrive. Luck always helps in getting good cards. In one tourney i went deep in i was dealt 6 9 and flopped a full house as the nuts the one other player i was against drew a straight on the river and found himself all in to a full house all of a sudden i had over 1 millon chips and the next best in the tourney had 600K then it was a case of being patient and only playing good hands to get to the final table, i didnt win that tourney but still turned my $2 into $80 which just gave me 40 more $2 dollar tourneys to play, I never played turbo's only 15min incease to blinds, you need time and patience in those tourneys. I cant tell u how many $2 dollar tourneys I have played but my ROI is about 34%, so still profitable! I would add that it can take over 6 hours to play and get to the final table so patience is definetly a virtue, plus dont make mistakes, u have to fold some big hands sometimes to stay in the tourney, dont go all in often and if u do only against smaller chiped players so u dont put your tourney on the line! Just my 5 cents worth, has worked for me (sometimes)
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Wow! Thanks Paul for your detailed input. Definitely made me think and got my drive to open up some tables tonight :)

Keep me posted on your progress please. As I said, blog would be essential here as I think you're writing and way of explaining thing could be interesting to everyone.

Ingrid
    • paulcan68
      paulcan68
      Bronze
      Thanks Ingrid happy to share but still consider myself a novice. I am currently on a 5 min break in a party poker tourney, $11 tourney 158 players, have just made the money at 20 players, now 19 players left and coming 8th, lets hope the cards come and I get a monster against this chip leader who continues to bet big to steal the blinds. Will post how it finishes, is late here in australia, just gone midnight, should be in bed but may add to the bank roll by giving up some sleep
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      oh wow! oki, well I'll be here lurking around the forum so don't go to bed with out an update :D

Good luck! One time monster, just one time! :s_cool:
    • paulcan68
      paulcan68
      Bronze
      Have now made final table 10 players left, payout increases with each players that goes out, tripled my money so far, bit short stacked need some good cards now!
    • Gunn56
      Gunn56
      Bronze
      been doing good myselfy lately was down to 5 bucks and told myself to smarten up. started reading articles since then i have had 2 1st place finishes and a 7th i could of won it but eyes where so heavy . goodluck at the tables. MikeGunn on stars i do micros for now .
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by paulcan68
      Have now made final table 10 players left, payout increases with each players that goes out, tripled my money so far, bit short stacked need some good cards now!
      gogogogo not much left now! :club: :club:
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gunn56
      been doing good myselfy lately was down to 5 bucks and told myself to smarten up. started reading articles since then i have had 2 1st place finishes and a 7th i could of won it but eyes where so heavy . goodluck at the tables. MikeGunn on stars i do micros for now .
      hey Gunn :)

Good to see you here and thanks for sharing. I also play micros/low and nicesttroll on stars :)

see you and good luck!
      Ingi
    • paulcan68
      paulcan68
      Bronze
      Finished in 6th place, got a bit tired shoved a 2 in small blind against big blind q 10 of couirse the q came on the flop no luck on the turn or river but turned my $11 into $91 so not a bad effort. Off to bed we go dead tired. Been a pleasure sharing with you. Until next time...............

Paul
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Congratz! :) pleasure following, have a good sleep and see you next time.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      cool interesting read. :)

it seems to have massively helped your winrate to move from Pokerstars to PartyPoker. i do not have much experience with MTT's but i have repeatedly heard that the fields are much softer. it is very encouraging to see your results. i hope you continue to have great luck on the tables!

wow incredible to be playing for 6 hours straight. endurance is definitely one of those things every serious MTT player must have.

hope to see more posts from you around here! share the knowledge, share the love :heart:

smiles,
      wendy
    • bringmecards
      bringmecards
      Bronze
      gl at the tables and welcome