benaars

• benaars
      benaars
      Gold
      Hey
      My name is Einar and I am from Latvia. I am playing poker for some time already, I was playing SNG and MTT's and now I want to learn more about cash games. I am playing NL4 BSS but it doesn't go that well so I hope to improve during this course.
  • 11 replies
    • benaars
      benaars
      Gold
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      I realy like playing poker, I find it exciting and interesting plus it can lead to a pretty good money which is very important))

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      I find myself playing too many hands and I like to bluff in some spots. Sometimes it's really hard for me to lay down a hand, I really want to see the showdown if I have some kind with showdown value. I poorly read people and I have trouble making any notes. Sometimes I think I play for too long period of time, I can play for 5 hours without stoping, If I am on downswing I keep playing because I think I will get it over sooner if I play more)) tilting sometimes as well..

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Tight-aggressive style of play is to play few hands but play them aggressively, extracting value from weaker hands constatly putting opponents under pressure by beting/3beting
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Note taking is very important aspect of the game actually. So really try to get used to it in the early game and try to get a habit of taking notes. Rather than purely ignore. You might play too many tables or play with distractions? That might cause you as well not taking any notes. :(

Tight style is usually called playing rather few hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Some more points earned.
    • benaars
      benaars
      Gold
      Homework #2

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      I think sometimes it is good to see the flop after some-one's raise if it is a minraise and I have a hand with some potential hiting very good hand or a draw like 89s etc. sometimes I would play suited connectors and suited face cards when I am in position to inital raiser, or I have some reads on him. Sometimes I find it difficult playing with AA and KK because when I reraise the opponents usually get scared, maybe it is profitable to call the inital raiser with such a hand to get more value out of weaker hand?

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      I already know I am playing too loose most of the time - too much cold calling with marginal hands like suited facecards and connectors..and bluffing. But I have doubts about how to play hands like AJ+ against an open raise, is its better to call or fold or raise.. or it really depends on opponent?
      NL4 AKs

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.
      The equity against this range is approx. 46%
    • benaars
      benaars
      Gold
      Homework #3

Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53? (Tip: you can use the Equilab to help you with this task.)
      Preflop the equity against 33 is approx. 50%. On the flop the situation changes drastically - now we have only approx. 26% equity against his set.

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

Well here I think I would call him. It is obvious he has a hand that beats us now and he is raising to protect from draws, the raise isn't big and we have good potential to win as we have nut FD + gutshot.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the hand evaluation forum and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)
      Well I dont really know when NOT to place continuation bet.. and Is it worth to second-barrell with air on the turn when a scary card like A shows up?
      NL 4 SBvsBB
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Suited Connectors can actually be a very strong hands. They have very good implied odds in multiway pot and as well we could even play them more aggressively and take the initiative and isolate. Therefore I don't even mind you playing them.

Sometimes I find it difficult playing with AA and KK because when I reraise the opponents usually get scared, maybe it is profitable to call the inital raiser with such a hand to get more value out of weaker hand?

If they are scared then let it be, then most likely they didn't have a hand. Don't slowplay with those type of hands, you will just loose rather than win in long run.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    50.78%  50.40%   0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1  49.22%  48.84%   0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    26.46%  26.46%   0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1  73.54%  73.54%   0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are few situations on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. There which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs. Which means that we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress! Some more points earned.
    • benaars
      benaars
      Gold
      thank you.
      but actually I don't think I am doing great it's hard to build up my BR with my game. I really try to stick with my ORC but when I look at my stats in Elephant is see my VPIP is more than 30or ~25 at least.. I think is am calling other people raises too much, is that a mistake? I probably should fold almost any hand except PP when facing a raise? I am very confused with this
    • Zemnieks11
      Zemnieks11
      Bronze
      nickname FTW :D n1
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by benaars
      thank you.
      but actually I don't think I am doing great it's hard to build up my BR with my game. I really try to stick with my ORC but when I look at my stats in Elephant is see my VPIP is more than 30or ~25 at least.. I think is am calling other people raises too much, is that a mistake? I probably should fold almost any hand except PP when facing a raise? I am very confused with this
      Well, obviously. You are Calling tooooo much if you have such a VPIP and you playing FR as I understand? You definitely have a huge leak in there and which has to be fixed, you loosing a lot money with it.
    • benaars
      benaars
      Gold
      yes full-ring. Am, then it is a mistake calling let's say J10s or AJo or hands like this when someone is raising? It is only worth calling if I see myself ahead of my opponents range?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by benaars
      yes full-ring. Am, then it is a mistake calling let's say J10s or AJo or hands like this when someone is raising? It is only worth calling if I see myself ahead of my opponents range?
      Well, really depends on the situation. But most likely it seems that you cold-call too many hands and loosing a lot with them. What kind of tracking software did you use again?