when variance kick your ass... and bankroll 2...

• n3w8i3
      n3w8i3
      Bronze
      i don't even know what to say... i was playing actually really nity this week, and BI by BI crushed by variance... A8 crushed my AK on river - 8 off course... i have TT, crushed by AK.. i'm with AK against 99, and lose... flopped 2 pairs, crushed by flush - 2 drawcards... and so - BI by BI, similar situations... 25 BI down...

i was in numbers about 15/7/48 ... and i didn't bluf any hand, play bad, or would play different, because in odd calculator all were like 75-80% win hands... and crushed by river, or turn + river... really - can't explain it...

i guess i'm that unlucky guy on roulette that played on red, and got 25 blacks in a row...
  • 7 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey n3w8i3,

Don't get disheartened, Poker is a long and winding road full of bumps but eventually you will get to your destination.

Short term results don't really matter too much (or at least they shouldn't) Try not to think of the game too much over a short period of time.

Yes - it can be frustrating when you get 2 outered on the river for the second time in ten minutes. Yes - it can be annoying when the guy who shoves every hand for the last 5 mins wakes up with Aces when you have Kings. It's all part and parcel of our beautiful game and we must do our best to deal with these situations in the most positive way possible.

I suggest you take a look at our Psychology section. There is plenty of great material in there that will help you endlessly.

Some key things come to mind

- Set a stop loss limit
      - Take a break from the tables when you feel like you're not playing you're A game
      - Do something else for an hour or two to get your mind off the game
      - Then come back and print the $$$ again.

Mindset issues are a common problem so never be afraid to ask for help or to look for assistance. Just remember we are all human at the end of the day and we are prone to making mistakes.

I wish you all the best in your recovery and try not take things to heart,

All the best,

Gary
    • clydePHP
      clydePHP
      Bronze
      i like this reply . . .
    • Pimprlas
      Pimprlas
      Bronze
      Me too, PS is the best, keep up the great job guys :)
    • Tarhonya
      Tarhonya
      Bronze
      Hi,

You need to get used to these kind of situations which will happen in time.
      Let me show you some numbers:
      A8 has ~26% vs AK,
      AK have ~43% against your TT and
      99 has ~44% against your AK.

If you look at them, it can help you understand that it can happen somewhat often to get the short end of the stick a couple times in a row.

Basically this is what BRM is for, to survive these "lows" and on the other hand you'll sometimes experience quite the opposite of this, when you'll run really good to make up for it.

In these situations I think it can be also helpful if you try focusing on how you played the hand, rather than wasting thoughts on a something you have no control over after all.

Hope it helps.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Pimprlas
      Me too, PS is the best, keep up the great job guys :)

:f_love: :f_love: :f_love: :f_love: :f_love:
    • ii40747
      ii40747
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tarhonya
      Hi,

You need to get used to these kind of situations which will happen in time.
      Let me show you some numbers:
      A8 has ~26% vs AK,
      AK have ~43% against your TT and
      99 has ~44% against your AK.

If you look at them, it can help you understand that it can happen somewhat often to get the short end of the stick a couple times in a row.

Basically this is what BRM is for, to survive these "lows" and on the other hand you'll sometimes experience quite the opposite of this, when you'll run really good to make up for it.

In these situations I think it can be also helpful if you try focusing on how you played the hand, rather than wasting thoughts on a something you have no control over after all.

Hope it helps.
      99 has 56% just to be correct. I know it's probably error by accident ;)
    • Tarhonya
      Tarhonya
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ii40747
      99 has 56% just to be correct. I know it's probably error by accident ;)
      Yes, of course, thanks.