Heads up play in SNGs

• roshe40
      roshe40
      Bronze
      I have just started my SNG career thanx to the generosity of this site. I have only played a few $2 SNGs on my chosen site thus far and have 3 2nds already (beginner's luck?!). I have found the material I have learned here to be very helpful in getting me deep into the SNGs that I have played thus far, but I feel lost when it comes to heads up play. My backround is full ring game limit play, so I have no real experience on heads up tourney play. Could someone please write an article or post some suggestions for playing heads up in online SNGs? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
  • 3 replies
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      Well in a turbo don't be afraid to move in with usually maginal hands. If your in a standard structure you might have more room for standard raises, but the basic principal remains the same; loosen up considerably.

It's also pretty easy to get a feel as to how your heads up villain is playing his cards. If hes playing passive and raising few pots, then take advantage of this. If he's aggresive, make sure you trap him when you get dealt that monster.

I find turbo heads up play pretty simple tbh. That said I'm sure there's leaks in my heads up play, mainly when they play in a style I just don't expect for heads up.
    • roshe40
      roshe40
      Bronze
      Thanx for the tips Manni. I need all the help I can get on this. I'm 0 for 6 heads up now (heavy sigh). I gotta get lucky eventually I guess.
    • roshe40
      roshe40
      Bronze
      Well, it took me 12 tries, but I finally won my first SNG!! Losing all those heads up matchups was getting very frustrating. Ironically, it took a suckout on my part earlier on in that SNG in order to still be around for the win. I remembered reading in the phychology articles on this site (which are VERY good BTW) that I should not let the emotional responses of my results alone affect my ability to analyze my play logically, which is quite far from good still. So I have posted my first hand on this site, not with a bad beat from a hand I played relatively well, but from a lucky suckout from a hand I played relatively poorly. I know that I must focus on the things that I CAN change (my playing decisions), and not the things that I cannot (ie bad beats).