2nd palce at Party 5000$ freeroll

• antonioconto
      antonioconto
      Silver
      I played Forgiveness Day Freeroll with no hope to get some serious bucks. Moveing to the end my thoughts were that I was lucky to get 7th place, but when there where two of us at the table and me dominating the game I was sure that I was going to win. So I had AQ suited (but who cares at this stage if they are suited or not), went all-in, he called showing 88. I was so happy when the flop showed Q, but the 8 on the river took the smile off my face. And downwards it went from that moment. The 975$ was so close, but I got 537,50 and I must be very happy with this considering tht there were 1889 entrants at the tournament.

Best of luck,
      Martin
  • 7 replies
    • Dykiller
      Dykiller
      Bronze
      Sweet
    • Sicilianpimp
      Sicilianpimp
      Bronze
      vn cheif way to go.
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      gratz!
    • Jambonant
      Jambonant
      Bronze
      Can you tell us a bit more about your strategy at the begining of a freeroll like that? I find it hard to get started as some people just go all-in several times in a row to get a stack then play poker. Is this feeling shared?
    • antonioconto
      antonioconto
      Silver
      My strategy is to wait, wait and wait for the fist hour and play about 10 to 15 percent of the hands and not to be bothered about the fishes who want to double up. I don't care what my position is during that time. So the second hour I play more hands, but try to avoid the players with bigger stacks when I am not sure I am ahead. The rule for me is that it is not so important to have a great stack in the beginning but to stick to my own game. I've had a situation when I lost 90% of my stack in the beginning and was left with 200, but managed to get to the final table with more than 700 people at the tournament. Patience is the key and it is important not to go with the maniacs who tend to drop out anyway before the final stages.

Be patient and GL
    • Calmplay
      Calmplay
      Bronze
      Very nice, your strategy paid off well played mate :)
    • richard1817
      richard1817
      Bronze
      I play aggressive from the start raising up from position and even reraising on the button. I don't play like a maniac I find my moves are all well timed and I soon cut down limpers and make myself table captain. However if I cannot enforce my aggressive style I just sit tight. But overall I am loose aggressive from the start and tighten up once I have gained my stack and wait for big hands to pick off small stacks. This strategy has won me many mtts and I have loads of final tables under my belt. As for freerolls this play would probably not work so sitting tight from the beginning is probably the best bet.