This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

NLHE against the house..?

    • enemaze
      enemaze
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.06.2009 Posts: 608
      While visiting the Baden-Baden casino in Germany, i came across this variation of poker.
      Im not certain about the rules, but this is what i managed to understand (not speaking German wasn't too helpful).
      You post a blind and an ante, and are dealt 2 hole cards. There are several players, like in blackjack, but you only need to beat the house (which deals cards to itself).
      You can make a bet at 3 points: preflop, on the flop, and after the turn+river. the earlier the bet the more odds you get on it (preflop is 3x i think, flop 2x and before showdown 1x).
      If you don't make a bet by the showdown, you fold and the house takes everything. You can also place a bet if you get dealt trips or better, the better the made hand in the end the better the odds. If you make a bet throughout the hand, you reach showdown and if you beat the house, you win according to your odds + the house matches your blind and ante.

      My question is where's the house's edge here? to me it seems like you're basically playing a lose-passive opponent HU, which is easy money.
      If anyone's heard of this game, am i missing something?
  • 6 replies
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      Joined: 16.12.2009 Posts: 340
      I've heard about this game. It is only superficially similar to NLHE because obviously it's not no limit nor limit. I think the house might have a big edge here.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Joined: 01.04.2009 Posts: 1,883
      It sounds like Ultimate Texas Holdem

      You can get a run-down of the math at Wizard of Odds:
      Wizard of Odds on Ultimate Texas Holdem

      Edit: Any poker tracking software can easily show why this is a bad deal. You are posting blind every single hand. Even winning players don't show a profit from the blinds over a large sample of hands.
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      Joined: 02.08.2010 Posts: 2,417
      Any gambling games against the house is -ev. The house will always get the better odds. (google: casino odds)

      In poker you are facing against players and not a house, hence its all about skill (and mentality).
    • sinsas
      sinsas
      Bronze
      Joined: 22.09.2009 Posts: 380
      Originally posted by ragney
      Any gambling games against the house is -ev. The house will always get the better odds. (google: casino odds)

      In poker you are facing against players and not a house, hence its all about skill (and mentality).
      and a "little" variance :D
    • enemaze
      enemaze
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.06.2009 Posts: 608
      Yes, it was definitely Ultimate Hold'em.
      What i don't get, is how can this game be -ev? basically you can calculate your equity against a random hand, and if it's better than 50%, bet profitably. Obviously this cant be done easily, but it's not impossible. Furthermore, a lot of the people at the table dont really hide their holecards, which gives you even more information.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Joined: 14.09.2009 Posts: 6,561
      Originally posted by enemaze
      Yes, it was definitely Ultimate Hold'em.
      What i don't get, is how can this game be -ev? basically you can calculate your equity against a random hand, and if it's better than 50%, bet profitably. Obviously this cant be done easily, but it's not impossible. Furthermore, a lot of the people at the table dont really hide their holecards, which gives you even more information.
      Originally posted by tokyoaces

      Edit: Any poker tracking software can easily show why this is a bad deal. You are posting blind every single hand. Even winning players don't show a profit from the blinds over a large sample of hands.


      Regards

      Thazar