A conversation with a suckout...

• hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      You know this guy, we have all lost money at some point to THIS guy. Sometimes, I am this guy, but not today... So...

I finally got it. I lost a hand to a stupid river suckout and so I finally had a bitch fest / conversation with the suckout and I got an explanation as to why this guy chose to call a 3 bet oop with K4, donk at the pot with a really weak middle pair, and then call my shove, all at NL2... Of course I had Aces... What suckout story DOESN'T have Aces?

(yes I know the 3 bet should have been 4 cents higher... you are not going to sit here and tell me "he had odds"... gimme a break :P )

First the hand, then the conversation...

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $0.91
      MP2:
      $0.99
      MP3:
      $1.97
      CO (Hero):
      $3.66
      BU:
      $1.47
      SB:
      $3.37

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, A.
      MP2 posts deadblind, MP2 raises to $0.06, MP3 folds, Hero raises to $0.14, 3 folds, MP2 calls $0.08.

Flop: ($0.31) 8, 4, 3 (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.20, Hero raises to $0.90, MP2 calls $0.65.

Turn: ($2.06) 9 (2 players)

River: ($2.06) K (2 players)

Final Pot: $2.06.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of aces(A A).
      MP2 shows two pairs, kings and fours(4 K).

MP2 wins with two pairs, kings and fours(4 K).

The conversation...

(I couldn't actually get the full chat, so what follows is the end)

hackbinder: just do one thing for me please... did you call the all in because you thought I was bluffing?
      XXXXXXX: hahaha
      hackbinder: i have to know... then ill shut up
      XXXXXXX: all this to ask me that
      XXXXXXX: so you want to know me behind the pokerface in that hand?
      hackbinder: There was no poker face... you got lucky... so I want to know if you thought it was a bluff, or a donk call... its either one or the other
      XXXXXXX: I always do something
      hackbinder: I will leave the table if you answer me
      XXXXXXX: because I try to read
      XXXXXXX: I had a bad read
      hackbinder: so what did you read?
      XXXXXXX: so I called
      hackbinder: okay thank you
      hackbinder: good bye sir
      XXXXXXX: bye

You know what? After he told me that, I felt a lot better. ;)
  • 2 replies
    • mrkhaan
      mrkhaan
      Bronze
      Sorry for the suckout. You just got unlucky, it happens. You shouldn't even bother to talk to him, he is just a fish. Write a detailed note on him in case you meet him again and stay at the table waitin' for another situation.
      The good point about that is that his confidence must have grown so he is potentially even more subject to other dumb moves like this one. At nl2 you play for value, and this kind of guy at your table is clearly +EV, so stay at his table as long as possible and pick the right moment to hit him hard.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mrkhaan
      Sorry for the suckout. You just got unlucky, it happens. You shouldn't even bother to talk to him, he is just a fish. Write a detailed note on him in case you meet him again and stay at the table waitin' for another situation.
      The good point about that is that his confidence must have grown so he is potentially even more subject to other dumb moves like this one. At nl2 you play for value, and this kind of guy at your table is clearly +EV, so stay at his table as long as possible and pick the right moment to hit him hard.
      +1

Shrug it off, take a note and the next time you see him, you will be prepared.

Glad that you don't feel the need to tilt afterwards it can be very frustrating losing a hand like that, but if you can deal with it like that, it's half the battle imo.

Kind regards,

Gary