Late Registering

• SnakeDoctor44
      SnakeDoctor44
      Bronze
      What are your opinions on registering late for a tourney?

I often find (Especially in turbo) you are throwing yourself straight into a push or fold situation with less than 10bb. Surely this is decreasing your chances of winning or getting past the bubble significantly.

I find starting a tourney from the beginning is great because you can easily bust the 'all in with bottom pair' maniacs and earn a few double ups in the first few blind levels that will give you the chipstack to see you past the bubble and beyond.

But buying in late has two problems:

1, The blinds put a lot more pressure on your stack
      2, The bad players have already busted so you are facing good competition

What are your opinions on late buy-ins?
  • 3 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      You aren't just comparing two alternatives. There are 3. I would say that for maximizing $/tournament, experts should find that buying in normally >> buying in late >> not playing. Buying in late may be the right decision if you can't pay proper attention to the start of the tournament or miss it.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Since I'm fairly tight, I will often go an orbit or two or more without enterring a hand, especially if I'm sitting in late pos after a raise and re-raise.
      If I enter the tournament late, I'm enterring with a full stack, where under the circumstances described, I'd be down.

There is no way to tell what cards you might have had if you had played.

Some tournaments are accepting players up to Level 7, but I doubt if I would enter that late. You would be facing big stacks by that point.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Since I'm fairly tight, I will often go an orbit or two or more without enterring a hand, especially if I'm sitting in late pos after a raise and re-raise.
      If I enter the tournament late, I'm enterring with a full stack, where under the circumstances described, I'd be down.
      Even the overly tight players I have studied still gain chips in early levels of tournaments. Being overly tight is a liability, though. Good players who take advantage of more profitable opportunities win significantly more chips in early levels.

If you would really lose chips on average by playing in early levels, then you probably have some easily fixed leaks.