[NL2-NL10] 2NL: Playing pocket pairs with over cards on board

• worldanizer
      worldanizer
      Bronze
      Hello!

I'm a total beginner, and I'm having some problems playing ``good'' pocket pairs (TT-KK) when there are over-cards on the board.

What do you think about the decisions I made here?

(I had only 10 hands on villain, and he's been a 40/30 so far)

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.02(BB) Replayer
      SB ($0.92)
      Hero ($1.56)
      UTG ($2.65)
      CO ($1.55)
      BTN ($0.91)

Dealt to Hero J:diamond: J:club:

fold, CO raises to $0.04, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.12, CO calls $0.08

FLOP ($0.25) Q:diamond: 4:diamond: 7:diamond:

Hero bets $0.12, CO calls $0.12

TURN ($0.49) Q:diamond: 4:diamond: 7:diamond: 9:club:

Hero checks, CO bets $0.12, Hero calls $0.12

RIVER ($0.73) Q:diamond: 4:diamond: 7:diamond: 9:club: K:club:

Hero checks, CO bets $0.12, Hero calls $0.12
  • 2 replies
    • Meemawuk
      Meemawuk
      Bronze
      With one overcard you need to make a proper C-bet. less than half pot is too small. Especially on this texture. He has a great price to call with Ad3s.

With 2 overcards depending on the opponent, I might just give up right there.

On this hand specifically, I bet ~0.20 on flop. Then check to him on the turn probably playing check-fold. He should be protecting Qx in that spot, and checking back any big diamond draw. He might decide to protect with 88/TT/Ad9x but those are the only hands you can beat and I dont like how JJ plays OOP on the river without the initiative. If he checks back, the river is close since the Kd got there. depends on his sizing for me there. On a river undercard that isnt a diamond, I'll almost always play check-call, unless he does somethign crazy.

Double barreling is also an option, somtimes he will fold his diamond draws. If he calls however, you are pretty much always having to play check-fold on the river anyway, and he might just decide to bluff you with Ad with no pair. You might consider playing check-call if you make your flush, but it's kinda spew if he bombs it.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello worldanizer,

Welcome to the NL Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future. I hope that with our help you can improve your play and as well move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

Add to full stack.

About the play, well the 1st mistakes comes from CBetting that smallish. I would definitely bet it bigger. But if you really would like to continue on turn then rather just 2nd barrel it and protect your hand than Check/Call and turn your hand into bluff-catcher. :( Doubt he is even betting with worse on river.

Best Regards.