Pocket Queens

• slippyjim
      slippyjim
      Bronze
      Hiya,

I have been reading Dan Harringtons books and he says push AA, KK & QQ as hard as poss but what would everyone do in this situation

its 15/30c cash game
      Im UTG with QQ I limp with the idea of reraising as the table has been tight and generally 1 raise has been winning the hand
      every folds round to 1 before the button who raises $1.50
      button and SB fold
      BB calls
      I reraise to $6
      Original raiser goes all in and the BB folds
      Ive got approx $14, Original Raiser has $28
      What would you do?......
  • 10 replies
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi there slippyjim,

i can spot a few things that can be improved here.

first, what strategy are you using? if you were playing big stack strategy, you need to buy in for 100 bb which is $30. i'm not entirely sure what your stack size is. (did you have $14 after you bet $6 or was that your starting stack size?)

second i would raise preflop with QQ

third, limp/raising from utg is not a very good play. your hand is advertised as extremely strong. thus when he shoves over your raise, i expect him to have AA, KK, and AK only.

why dont you visit our strategy section and read a few articles? it might help you with improving your game.
      Strategy Articles

For now, you will be able to access basic articles, but after you complete your registration with us and receive your free starting capital, you will be able to access bronze articles.

Let us know if you need any help! :)

smiles,
      Wendy
    • abhi147
      abhi147
      Bronze
      First of all please follow proper BRM and either play SSS or BSS dont play something in the middle which you cant handle

Youve put yourself in a bad position
      I wont nescessarily go all in with QQ unless ive got decent reads on the opponents, there is nothing wrong in folding if the need be.

If you wouldve raised and he reraised id generally call and if i dont see an A or K i am ready to push
      Do note though he might be reraising with pocket JJ or TT and he might have hit a set

On the second note he might have something like AK/AQ suited and he might be putting you on a small pocket pair since you limped and then reraised

So basically the situation youve put yourself in at this moment you can fold/push either of it will most likely end up in being a coin flip. But if his PFR VPIP are something less than 10 say like 9/4 or 8/8 youre better off folding

The other thing to note is how much time did he take to push it all in?
      If he instantly did it then dont think for a moment just simply fold
      Usually when people have AA KK they do tend to concentrate on that table and are way too excited to push
      If he thinks a bit and then pushes he might be AK or JJ or even QQ
      I would prefer to push here as well and if you lose to him if he flops an A or K or a set then so be it. You made the right call and in the long run you will win.

Check out some of these hands.
      Its poker Shit happens. Gotta deal with it and move on. Ive been on the other side too

iPoker - $0.10 NL - Holdem - 9 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

SB: $10.00
      BB: $3.00
      UTG: $12.66
      UTG+1: $18.37
      Hero (MP): $5.57
      MP+1: $8.83
      LP: $3.59
      CO: $2.68
      BTN: $3.84

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has A:spade: A:heart:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.40, fold, fold, CO raises to $1.30, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $5.57, CO calls $1.38

Flop: ($5.51, 2 players) A:club: J:club: 9:diamond:

Turn: ($5.51, 2 players) T:diamond:

River: ($5.51, 2 players) A:diamond:

Hero shows A:spade: A:heart: (Four of a Kind, Aces) (Pre 83%, Flop 98%, Turn 91%)
      CO shows K:heart: K:spade: (Two Pair, Aces and Kings) (Pre 17%, Flop 2%, Turn 9%)
      Hero wins $5.15

PokerStars - $0.10 NL (9 max) - Holdem - 7 players

BTN: $18.86
      SB: $4.24
      BB: $1.76
      UTG: $7.15
      UTG+1: $13.74
      Hero (MP): $10.00
      CO: $3.85

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has A:spade: A:diamond:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.40, CO raises to $1.10, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $2.20, CO raises to $3.85 and is all-in, Hero calls $1.65

Flop: ($7.85, 2 players) 9:heart: 3:heart: 5:heart:

Turn: ($7.85, 2 players) 4:club:

River: ($7.85, 2 players) Q:spade:

Hero shows A:spade: A:diamond: (One Pair, Aces) (Pre 83%, Flop 90%, Turn 95%)
      CO shows K:spade: K:diamond: (One Pair, Kings) (Pre 17%, Flop 10%, Turn 5%)
      Hero wins $7.46

And the ultimate one!!!!!!!

iPoker - €0.10 NL - Holdem - 8 players

Hero (UTG+1): €2.78
      MP: €11.20
      MP+1: €8.17
      CO: €9.95
      BTN: €8.73
      SB: €10.05
      BB: €3.00
      UTG: €8.98

SB posts SB €0.05, BB posts BB €0.10

Pre Flop: (€0.15) Hero has A:club: A:spade:

UTG raises to €0.40, Hero raises to €1.35, fold, fold, CO raises to €3.25, fold, fold, fold, UTG raises to €8.98, Hero calls €1.43, CO calls €5.73

Flop: (€20.89, 3 players) J:club: 6:diamond: 6:club:

Turn: (€20.89, 3 players) 6:heart:

River: (€20.89, 3 players) T:club:

Hero shows A:club: A:spade: (Full House, Sixes full of Aces) (Pre 67%, Flop 83%, Turn 90%)
      CO shows Q:diamond: Q:spade: (Full House, Sixes full of Queens) (Pre 15%, Flop 8%, Turn 5%)
      UTG shows K:diamond: K:club: (Full House, Sixes full of Kings) (Pre 18%, Flop 9%, Turn 5%)
      Hero wins €7.93
      UTG wins €11.57
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      Big LOL at ever thinking of folding QQ with that awkward stack size. Snap call the push. Remember, he thinks you are a fish because of the stack size and wouldn't be too wrong shoving TT+,AK here.

Usually when people have AA KK they do tend to concentrate on that table and are way too excited to push If he thinks a bit and then pushes he might be AK or JJ or even QQ

Don't put any stock into this as a tell. A guy playing 20 tables may have a lot of interesting hands going on and is usually going to use some time no matter what. While, if that table popped up right away he might just snap shove either of those hands.
    • abhi147
      abhi147
      Bronze
      if I was playing SSS i wouldnt think twice about pushing

But do you suggest push suppose he had a full stack?
      It could be the right move but ive been faced so many times with KK/AK and been screwed so with QQ i am a little cautious
    • abhi147
      abhi147
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Maniatrix
      Don't put any stock into this as a tell. A guy playing 20 tables may have a lot of interesting hands going on and is usually going to use some time no matter what. While, if that table popped up right away he might just snap shove either of those hands.
      Hmmm. That does make sense now that i think of it practically.
      Crap and i thought i could use this tell lol.
    • slippyjim
      slippyjim
      Bronze
      I had $14 at the start of the hand, I started the game with $18

I did call and he turned over AA, and they held up.

Its the 2nd time in a row for me my QQ has ran into AA, yet or the occasion I have had AA I do a 3-4BB raise and everyone folds. I seem to be on an unlucky run at the moment, a while ago I flopped a full house then got rivered by a higher one that I did not see coming!!

I know normally I should have raised with QQ but the way the table had been playing I felt that if I raised everyone would have folded so I was trying to be a bit inventive and thought it had worked when I had a raiser and a caller....

Incidentally he did shove all in instantly

Thanks for all the comments & help
    • abhi147
      abhi147
      Bronze
      find a loser table
      where do you play?

And do you play FR or shorthanded?
    • slippyjim
      slippyjim
      Bronze
      At the moment I play at 888, purely because I got a free 1 year licence for Magic Hold em

I prefer FR, I find 6 ppl tables a lot harder to navigate.

I also use Hold 'em Manager for reviewing my hands etc
    • 1984ioc
      1984ioc
      Bronze
      You made the right move after u raised.You have already invested 30% of your money into the pot and with ur stack size its an instant shove imo.As purplefizz said the way you played the hand you showed huge strength in you r hand and should have raised when you had the first move.
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      When playing ASS (Awkward Stack Strategy) you should just raise, 4bet all in with QQ pre.