Continuation Bet

• Dykiller
      Dykiller
      Bronze
      How do you play your hand when you raised with AK, got only 1 caller.

You miss the flop (10s,10d,5h)

You do a continuation bet since your only with 1 opponent , but then he calls.

Turn is a blank, your UTG.
  • 3 replies
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      post the hand history
    • Dykiller
      Dykiller
      Bronze
      I dont have it

Its a question
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hi Dykiller,

It really depends on your opponent and what kind of reads you have on him (as well as the Limit that you are playing on).

More often than not Villan has some kind of low-pocket pair that he thinks might still be good against AK and that he doesnt want to fold.

I assume that I am UTG and he is not BB or SB so that I am OOP or? Because if I am IP and he checks to me I will most often check behind for the free card.

OOP I think there are 3 possible lines that depending on limit and opponent can be used.

1) Bet/Fold: If you think opponent is able to lay-down a hand and might just be calling your continuation bet to see if you give up on the turn (lots of Fish call a continuation bet with any two cards thinking its a continuation bet and fold to a turn bet) - a second barrel will often get him to fold his 44/66/77/88 and similar. Against a re-raise you have an easy fold.

2) Check/Fold: If you think opponent is unable to lay down any type of pair at all, it makes little sense in continuing to barreling. No shame in giving up the hand. Against passive opponents you might even see a free river.

3) Check/raise: I wouldn't recommend this especially not in lower limits - but if you know your opponents likes to float a lot and will often try to steal the pot on the turn with any two cards you can check - let him bet his air and re-raise him - which will most often force him to fold his hand.

Since the third option can be very expensive when it doesnt work - and requires good knowledge of your opponent I would use stick to either 1 or 2.

Best regards,
      SoyCD