Misunderstanding with SHC.

• SpreeXXL
      SpreeXXL
      Bronze
      I have one question about the The starting hands chart (SHC).

For example: If i am in the early position and i have 88 before the flop. Does it mean that i have to FOLD? I do not understand what is the differnce between FOLD with normal letters and FOLD with faded letters?

Thank you for help.
      Raido
  • 12 replies
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello SpreeXXL,

Yes 88 from early position is a fold in the SSS (I assume you are talking about No-Limit SSS strategy).

A Raise would be too marginal due to often being dominated when re-raised and faced with overcards when called. A limp is also not good because we lack the implied odds to play for set-value should someone raise behind us.

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • SpreeXXL
      SpreeXXL
      Bronze
      Yes, thank you SoyCD!

Moderators can close the thread.
    • SpreeXXL
      SpreeXXL
      Bronze
      sorry, i already understood my question.

Why isn't it possible to delete my posts?
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Good to see you analysing the situations for yourself!

If you were playing big-stack strategy it would certainly be true that limping 88 for 'set value' would have merit - since when you do hit the third eight you will most likely have the strongest hand and be able to win a large pot.

The problem with these kind of moves when playing the short stack strategy is that you lack proper implied odds. Since you have 20 BB at the most - the most you can win off any given opponent is 20 BB. As a bigstack you could limp 88, and call a raise behind of another big stack for set value (if the remaining stack is about 15 times the size of the raise) - since upon hitting you could potentially win his entire stack. As a short stack this is not possible since you could only win 20BB but would already be paying around 1/4 of your stack just to see the flop.

This means if there is a raise behind you - you must fold - meaning you lose 1 BB since you are dominated too often. Even if you get to see a flop - you only hit your set 1/8 of the times meaning you would have to fold a majority of the times on the flop. If you did actually hit your set - there is no guarantee that you would actually get paid off either - since it is a limped pot and no one has much money invested. Additionally you only have 20 BB with which to 'double' or triple up with.

That means over the longrun all the times you need to fold pre-flop or on the flop result in more losses than the times in which you actually win a big pot - making early positions limps -EV.

In later to middle position on the other hand - the low number of people still to act behind you make 88 a much stronger hand - which can actually be raised :)

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • SpreeXXL
      SpreeXXL
      Bronze
      Thank you SoyCD!

Now i have another question. I was trying to contact with the Pokerstrategy team through the contact system. I filled all the fields and wrote the numerical code correctly but after i had pushed send putton, it said that i had written the number wrongly. I tried it aproximately 10 times and always the same problem. I was wondering is the problem occuring because i am still the "unranked" user? or what could be the problem?
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hi SpreeXXL,

No that shouldnt be the problem. Did you pay attention to capitalization?

That might be the problem.

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • SpreeXXL
      SpreeXXL
      Bronze
      Yes. Just tried again. Still the same problem.

Why sometimes some of the characters are yellow and some of them are white?
    • Lemonize
      Lemonize
      Bronze
      Are you using the following link: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/help/ ??
    • SpreeXXL
      SpreeXXL
      Bronze
      i am using this link: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/de/businesscontact/
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hi SpreeXXL,

I just noticed that you are using the non-support contact system. If you are trying to contact us with any support related topics please use the Ticket system: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/help/

Perhaps I can help you with your request?

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • SpreeXXL
      SpreeXXL
      Bronze
      Well i saw a job offer for translators. And i wanted to contact because of that. I think i can't write about it under the support?
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SpreeXXL
      Well i saw a job offer for translators. And i wanted to contact because of that. I think i can't write about it under the support?
      Im the best person to contact for that kind of stuff :)

I'll write you a mail.