[NL2-NL10] nl5 - A8s vs ???

• Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Thoughts on 3 bet here?

Wouldn't have loved it if villian had called my flop bet, better Ax hands are in his range I assume.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $5
      BU:
      $5.04

0.03/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:club: , 8:club:
      3 folds, BU raises to $0.18, SB folds, Hero raises to $0.57, BU calls $0.39.

Flop: ($1.17) A:heart: , Q:diamond: , 3:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.68, BU folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.17
  • 7 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Philfox1985,

Against that kind of station I don't like your 3bet at all. At the best I might Call and play it postflop than play it that aggressively, you will have hard time making him fold postflop while being in 3bet pot.

The flop bet should be a bit bigger rather than so smallish, if he has a hand he is paying you anyways and meanwhile you ain't even protecting with your size but rather just induce bluffs/floats.

Best Regards.
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      I have been trying to cut down the number of hands I play out of position, only really calling with a fairly narrow range (Mid/Low PP's and some high suited connectors / broadways). In general from the blinds I'm trying to 3 bet or just fold most of the rest of my range.

Any thoughts on this, and where / how I should adapt my ranges based on the opponents?

In this case his calling range is so wide that we have to be raising for value rather than based on any kind of fold equity?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      I have been trying to cut down the number of hands I play out of position, only really calling with a fairly narrow range (Mid/Low PP's and some high suited connectors / broadways). In general from the blinds I'm trying to 3 bet or just fold most of the rest of my range.

Any thoughts on this, and where / how I should adapt my ranges based on the opponents?

Well, why do you 3bet against that kind of opponent who is Calling against you anyways? :f_biggrin: Do you really want to play OOP in bigger pot with such a hand? While your ace could easily be even dominated.

In this case his calling range is so wide that we have to be raising for value rather than based on any kind of fold equity?

As I said, there is not much fold equity anyways and yes, we should consider raising rather for value only here.
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Can you give any direction to useful articles, or your thoughts on how we should be playing out of the blinds against various opponents?

Its an area I'm trying to work on, and get better ranges for when I should be folding, 3 betting or just calling. Currently I'm calling probably a bit too much, as I'm sure is the standard mistake at low stakes, but its likely not a great play in most situations as playing OOP with no initiative isn't too clever against any half decent opponent.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Philfox1985
      Can you give any direction to useful articles, or your thoughts on how we should be playing out of the blinds against various opponents?

Its an area I'm trying to work on, and get better ranges for when I should be folding, 3 betting or just calling. Currently I'm calling probably a bit too much, as I'm sure is the standard mistake at low stakes, but its likely not a great play in most situations as playing OOP with no initiative isn't too clever against any half decent opponent.
      Well, most of the articles about blind defense and good videos comes from Gold+. :(
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      vs him just 3bet a wide value range of lets say AT+, KJ+,QJ and 99+ and go from there
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      ahh, double post, sorry