Is this standard?

  • 19 replies
    • sinsas
      sinsas
      Silver
      Joined: 22.09.2009 Posts: 380
      This is all you can expect from poker. So yes it's standard
    • EasyOnEAS
      EasyOnEAS
      Bronze
      Joined: 16.08.2010 Posts: 59
      Being a +EV player on some sites you are usually running below EV.

      Now, are you clever enough to figure out why the site would want that to happen (if it does)?
    • xlesleyx
      xlesleyx
      Bronze
      Joined: 17.05.2011 Posts: 136
      Now, are you clever enough to figure out why the site would want that to happen (if it does)?

      Not quite clever enough please elaborate and enlighten me :f_confused:
    • TakeManies
      TakeManies
      Bronze
      Joined: 05.04.2011 Posts: 334
      Standard!
    • EasyOnEAS
      EasyOnEAS
      Bronze
      Joined: 16.08.2010 Posts: 59
      Originally posted by xlesleyx
      Now, are you clever enough to figure out why the site would want that to happen (if it does)?

      Not quite clever enough please elaborate and enlighten me :f_confused:
      Because it pays more for them. More rake.

      If one player plays a lot and wins a lot then he is taking a lot of money from other players. The others players go broke faster, they lose interest faster and they will have less to play with.

      The optimal thing for a pokersite would be if everyone were evenly good and had the same amount of money and slowly grinded each other down by the rake.

      You get closer to that by having the good players run below EV and poor players above EV then the other way around.
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Joined: 09.02.2009 Posts: 816
      Geez, and you are platinium...
    • EasyOnEAS
      EasyOnEAS
      Bronze
      Joined: 16.08.2010 Posts: 59
      Originally posted by nathanrenard
      Geez, and you are platinium...
      Geez, and you are over 18 years of age?

      I know poker forums such as this teaches people to think of rigging as pointless and something that cant possible happen, but it doesnt mean thats the truth. They have interests in teaching you that, you know.

      I didnt even say they rigged it, I just came up with an example of why it would be good for them to do it. Do you think I am wrong in what I said?
    • xlesleyx
      xlesleyx
      Bronze
      Joined: 17.05.2011 Posts: 136
      Im not a big believer in the sites being rigged so i will leave that for now. :P

      I think i should of asked a better question to start with other than is this standard.
      What i meant to ask is.......Is 40 buyins a big ev difference? or is it perfectly reasonable for the difference to grow to 80 buyins?how many buyins would be considered as non standard? :f_eek:
    • ulairiiii
      ulairiiii
      Bronze
      Joined: 13.07.2011 Posts: 519
      Originally posted by EasyOnEAS
      Originally posted by nathanrenard
      Geez, and you are platinium...
      Geez, and you are over 18 years of age?

      I know poker forums such as this teaches people to think of rigging as pointless and something that cant possible happen, but it doesnt mean thats the truth. They have interests in teaching you that, you know.

      I didnt even say they rigged it, I just came up with an example of why it would be good for them to do it. Do you think I am wrong in what I said?

      ok now can you explain why people with a 5k sample are running on ev overall or +-1% of ev roi?
    • sambucatus
      sambucatus
      Bronze
      Joined: 29.04.2010 Posts: 28
      Everyone reacts so negatively even to a suggestion that rigging might be profitable for poker sites? All the evidence I have seen suggests that no major sites actually do it but what easyon says makes perfect sense.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Joined: 03.08.2009 Posts: 13,297
      Originally posted by EasyOnEAS
      I know poker forums such as this teaches people to think of rigging as pointless and something that cant possible happen, but it doesnt mean thats the truth. They have interests in teaching you that, you know.
      +1
    • xlesleyx
      xlesleyx
      Bronze
      Joined: 17.05.2011 Posts: 136
      any1 able to answer?im now at 45 buyins below :( :( :( :(
      page 1 of lessthanthreees blog talks about been on a downswing of25bisw thats why im wondering wtf is happening.anybody have other sng blogs for me from the micros up that i can read and feel reasured from there trials and tribulations.
    • Jitroceler
      Jitroceler
      Bronze
      Joined: 28.05.2010 Posts: 217
      Originally posted by ulairiiii
      Originally posted by EasyOnEAS
      Originally posted by nathanrenard
      Geez, and you are platinium...
      Geez, and you are over 18 years of age?

      I know poker forums such as this teaches people to think of rigging as pointless and something that cant possible happen, but it doesnt mean thats the truth. They have interests in teaching you that, you know.

      I didnt even say they rigged it, I just came up with an example of why it would be good for them to do it. Do you think I am wrong in what I said?

      ok now can you explain why people with a 5k sample are running on ev overall or +-1% of ev roi?
      what? I think that you need much bigger sample to have +-1%.
    • ulairiiii
      ulairiiii
      Bronze
      Joined: 13.07.2011 Posts: 519
      Originally posted by Jitroceler
      Originally posted by ulairiiii
      Originally posted by EasyOnEAS
      Originally posted by nathanrenard
      Geez, and you are platinium...
      Geez, and you are over 18 years of age?

      I know poker forums such as this teaches people to think of rigging as pointless and something that cant possible happen, but it doesnt mean thats the truth. They have interests in teaching you that, you know.

      I didnt even say they rigged it, I just came up with an example of why it would be good for them to do it. Do you think I am wrong in what I said?

      ok now can you explain why people with a 5k sample are running on ev overall or +-1% of ev roi?
      what? I think that you need much bigger sample to have +-1%.

      i dont mean from your true roi i mean from the deviance of ev from green line
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Joined: 23.06.2008 Posts: 5,622
      lessthanthree can say he's had a 25BI downswing, whereas you have had a 45BI downswing, partly because you are not like lessthenthree. :)
      If you were, you wouldn't need to ask why, you would know.
      GL getting back on track. :f_love:
    • xlesleyx
      xlesleyx
      Bronze
      Joined: 17.05.2011 Posts: 136
      Originally posted by gadget51
      lessthanthree can say he's had a 25BI downswing, whereas you have had a 45BI downswing, partly because you are not like lessthenthree. :)
      If you were, you wouldn't need to ask why, you would know.
      GL getting back on track. :f_love:
      ahh i knew somebody would post this :P it was the 1st page of his blog when he was a little fish :f_biggrin: im not trying to compare myself to him now obv havent even got a blog yet :) but wait till i get to page97 of mine i like to think ill be as big as he is :s_evil: :s_evil:

      Anyway i found dangermouses blog and his downswing have reassured me.Hopefully it will turn around SOON
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Joined: 23.06.2008 Posts: 5,622
      Good man and good luck with it. See you HU with lessthenthree soon! :s_cool: :s_cool:
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Joined: 09.02.2009 Posts: 816
      @xlesleyx, i think it is pretty standard, tbh, i dont understand how ev is calculated on HEM so i cant assure you what is going on there.

      It has to depend aswell on how big is the sample you are running and the volume you are playing, i do around 12-20 sngs at the same time and found myself with downswing of 40-50 bi. It is not standard, but it sure happens from time to time.

      I think for sit n gos you can do either of the following:

      1) Set a stop-loss limit.
      2) Just dont look at results for a very, very long time.

      It all makes sense in the end of the "run".
      Gl, and i hope we miss ourselves in the tables.
    • xlesleyx
      xlesleyx
      Bronze
      Joined: 17.05.2011 Posts: 136
      Originally posted by nathanrenard
      @xlesleyx, i think it is pretty standard, tbh, i dont understand how ev is calculated on HEM so i cant assure you what is going on there.

      It has to depend aswell on how big is the sample you are running and the volume you are playing, i do around 12-20 sngs at the same time and found myself with downswing of 40-50 bi. It is not standard, but it sure happens from time to time.

      I think for sit n gos you can do either of the following:

      1) Set a stop-loss limit.
      2) Just dont look at results for a very, very long time.

      It all makes sense in the end of the "run".
      Gl, and i hope we miss ourselves in the tables.
      Yeah good advice but i jst cant help being results orientated.I look at the graph over and over :baby: really bad habbit i know i shouldnt jst cant help it.gonna try not look at it for 5 sessions see how i get on when i come to review my sessions.

      On another note my internet disconnected and lost 8bis today :) things are jst superb in my poker world :f_cry:

      Oh well i can feel a heater coming all winter long hopefully thanx 4 advice

      Oh yeah Whats your username is it on stars u play?Im 'vpip2high' grinding micros $1.50's on stars