starting hand chart BSS

• kingkong2
      kingkong2
      Bronze
      i have printed of the chart . in the preflop strategy i was reading it put the hands in a tighter order, than it was in the chart i printed off. so i made the changes to the chart , i dont understand 1 or 2 things about the new chart, ,,,,,,, lets start with low pairs,,,,99-22 ,,,,,,,in the chart i printed off it says .... your cards actions befor u early middle late blinds 99-22 all players fold fold call raise call one one player called fold call one one player raised call 20 in the strategy its different your cards actions befor u early middle late blinds 99-88-77 all players fold fold call raise call 66-55-44 one player called fold call 33-22 one player raised call 20 thats what i dont understand do we only raise 99-88-77 from late and limp along with 66-55-44 and set mine only with 33-22 i could use some help with this ,,,ty
  • 11 replies
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi kingkong2,

it is very difficult to understand the chart the way you have pasted it here. can you pls include a link to which chart you mean? then maybe we can help you a bit in understanding :)

smiles,
      wendy
    • kingkong2
      kingkong2
      Bronze
      beginners strategy : no-limit bigstack strategy . how to play befor the flop. by Michael,,
    • kingkong2
      kingkong2
      Bronze
      lol my first post was pretty silly . i never looked at it lmao ,,
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      I moved your thread into our education board where the guys can explain you in detail the starting hand chart :)

Ingrid
    • EuanM
      EuanM
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kingkong2
      lol my first post was pretty silly . i never looked at it lmao ,,

Hey kingkong2,

Thanks for posting!

It's awesome to hear you are making adaptations to the starting chart in accordance with the style you play, I'd be interested to have an overview of the chart. As you mentioned yourself, it's quite difficult to understand the structure of your chart from your post.

Is there anyway you can post it here for advisement?

Cheers,

-E
    • EuanM
      EuanM
      Bronze
      thats what i dont understand do we only raise 99-88-77 from late and limp along with 66-55-44 and set mine only with 33-22 i could use some help with this ,,,ty
      Ok, so here is the Standard BSS Chart

So, the way it's described in the chart, in terms of "Low Pairs" / 99-22, is generalized. There should be a more optimal way to play this range of hands, closer to the terms you described above.

I'm not too keen on making a general analysis of how to play these hands, as I believe, pocket deuces play differently than pocket nines. It seems, at the moment, the way the chart is structured, mainly relies on the positional advantage we have in the fullring game, and as such does not place much expected value on pocket pairs from early position.

From the charts point of view, it's best to avoid limping from EP with low PP's, as we will almost always get raised. If we open in a fullring game from EP with 22-44, we could be overplaying our hand slightly. And limping is so unprofitable from early position in Fullring. Opening 77-99 from middle position is quite marginal in fullring; if both blinds call we are more or less flipping.

What I like to use here is the PokerStrategy.com Equilab , which makes our Opening range from the various positions look like this:

UTG - 99+,AJs+,KQs,AQo+
      UTG + 1 - 99+,ATs+,KQs,AQo+
      UTG + 2 - 88+,ATs+,KJs+,AJo+,KQo
      MP - 77+,A9s+,KTs+,QJs,AJo+,KQo
      MP 2 - 66+,A8s+,KTs+,QTs+,JTs,ATo+,KJo+
      MP 3 - 55+,A5s+,K9s+,Q9s+,J9s+,T9s,A9o+,KJo+,QJo
      CO - 44+,A2s+,K8s+,Q8s+,J8s+,T9s,98s,A7o+,KTo+,QTo+,JTo
      BU - 33+,A2s+,K2s+,Q6s+,J7s+,T8s+,98s,87s,76s,A2o+,K7o+,Q9o+,J9o+
      SB - 22+,A2s+,K2s+,Q2s+,J2s+,T3s+,94s+,85s+,76s,A2o+,K3o+,Q4o+,J5o+,T6o+,97o+,87o
      BB - 22+,A2s+,K2s+,Q2s+,J2s+,T5s+,96s+,87s,76s,A2o+,K3o+,Q6o+,J7o+,T8o+,97o+,87o

The above makes more sense than the starting hands chart; as we gain a position advantage through the orbit, the amount of combos in our open-raising range increases, as do the pocket pairs we can open from said position.

Hope this helps & good luck at the table,

-E
    • kingkong2
      kingkong2
      Bronze
      you can find the chart on http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1535/1/
    • EuanM
      EuanM
      Bronze
      you can find the chart on http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1535/1/
      Ok.

You should for sure use the Equilab to calculate what your opening range is for each position. This will allow you to define a more accurate range. As you can see from the chart, each specific position is not explored, only Early, Middle, Late & Blinds. For a more effective game, you can define more specific ranges from each position using our Software.

All the best,

-E
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      based on the chart that you posted, will try to help answer your initial questions :)

thats what i dont understand do we only raise 99-88-77 from late
      ye

and limp along with 66-55-44
      yes

and set mine only with 33-22 i could use some help with this ,,,ty
      yes

i think you wanted help in how to interpret that chart right? (and also possibly other future charts you may encounter).

:) the awesome l335soz is explaining how those charts were derived, and how one can deviate from them as you gain more experience.
    • kingkong2
      kingkong2
      Bronze
      yes it says in the chart that we can download that in middle position we can raise. AQ-AJ-AT ,,how ever in the chart i was talking about , it says raise, AQ from middle and late and blinds,, to raise AJ from late if 1 player limps ,,and to fold AT if 1 player raised ,, in the chart we can download it says to fold AQ AJ AT to a raise.. i want to start over , trying to forget everything i think i know , and start from that chart playing at 0.01-o.02,, i am going over all the strategy for BSS starting at the basic and moving up.. i want to be a winner at the game.
    • EuanM
      EuanM
      Bronze
      AT does have playability, but is easily dominated, especially when you get 3-bet. To call a read would be good, it's a safe fold to a 3-bet in the long run.

AJ - I've became quite fond of this hand recently, I do play SH though, so it's different in fullring. I like to 3-bet AJs from any position in shorthanded games.

In fullring, my recommendation is to open AJs / AJo, only call 3-bets from late position, maybe middle position. My favourite thing to do with AJo is 3-bet/fold to any opens. Play the flop in accordance with your equity of course.

AQ - It even sounds nice, doesn't it.

Suited? Pretty safe 3-bet from most positions. Standard open from all positions. 4-betting can be good too.

Offsuit? If an early position raiser, say for example, 4-bet shoves on you, it's decent fold. You really want AQs+ for 3-betting. It can be opened off-suit from most positions, a 4-bet fold is marginal; but your turning the hand into a bluff.