Micro Madness...... A Fish's (6-max) Journal

• NthnPrsnal
      NthnPrsnal
      Bronze
      Hey everyone!,

This is my first post and would take time to quickly let you know whats going on. I am a micro stakes ring game baller (NL2 atm) and have set my goal to grind up my way through the micro stakes legit. I started with a $40 BR (20 BI's) and am going to move up to NL5 once I reach 25 BI's for that stake.

The mains purpose of this blog is so I can post hands and get feedback from all you guys so as that I can plug my leaks and improve my game.

A LITTLE ABOUT ME

I am a 24 year old guy living in NSW Australlia. I have been playing poker for around 2 years but only taken a fancy for it in the past 12 months or so. I work for a poker company as a T.D. but am looking for a career change into the mining industry since thats where the $$$ is. In my spare time I hit the gym like a rat and eat like a hundred meals a day trying to bulk up, i also snowboard but rarely get the oppurtunity to do this as Australia is mainly a dirt patch :s_biggrin: Up until now when I decided to be legit and grind my way through the micro stakes I have been a true degen, reloading like Wild Bill and throwing caution to the wind and risking entire BR's on a single gamble.

Hmmmm well it gets tiring doing this, reload $20, build to 2k, blow it all. Frustrating doesn't even begin to describe this kind of mentallity and play.

So here I am now trying to change my ways and focus on the game rather than the gamble and you wouldn't believe it but I seem to be a capable player :f_eek:

What I hope to gain from writing in this blog is to solidify my poker knowledge and hopefully meet some like minded peoples who can give me some advice and help with the sweat.

Thx for taking the time to check out my blog and I hope you can leave me lots of feedback.

Cheers, K dawg.
  • 27 replies
    • MrS212i
      MrS212i
      Bronze
      Welcome to the forums and gl with your journey! :f_thumbsup:
    • 101aj
      101aj
      Bronze
      GL :f_thumbsup:
    • NthnPrsnal
      NthnPrsnal
      Bronze
      Thanks for the kind welcome!

I have a hand I was involved in earlier today that I feel terrible about now that I have had time to think it over.

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em
      (6 handed)
      Known players:
      MP2 (Hero):
      $2.00
      MP3:
      $0.19
      CO:
      $2.59
      BU:
      $3.65
      SB:
      $2.50
      BB:
      $4.71
      Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q, Q. Hero raises to $0.06, MP3 raises to $0.19(All-In), 3 folds, BB raises to $4.71, Hero folds.

Flop: ($4.97) 7, 2, 3 (2 players)

Turn: ($4.97) 8 (2 players)

River: ($4.97) 9 (2 players) Final Pot: $4.97.
      Results follow:

MP3 shows a pair of eights(Q 8).
      BB shows high card ace(K A).

MP3 wins with a pair of eights(Q 8).

I believe (in hindsight) that this was an easy call for me as the guy in the blinds could have been isolating with anything from 55-JJ also with AK,AQ or even AJ.

P.s. Let me know if this hand has been posted correctly and that isn't hurting your guys eyes! lol

thx, K.
    • NthnPrsnal
      NthnPrsnal
      Bronze
      Here is another hand I hope you guys can help me to see how I could have played it correctly.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $1.33
      SB:
      $4.34
      BB:
      $4.92
      MP2 (Hero):
      $2.06
      MP3:
      $3.29
      CO:
      $3.33

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K, A.
      Hero raises to $0.06, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.06, BU calls $0.06, SB folds, BB calls $0.04.

Flop: ($0.25) 5, 7, A (4 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, CO bets $0.19, BU folds, BB folds, Hero calls $0.19.

Turn: ($0.63) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.48, Hero raises to $1.00, CO raises to $3.08, Hero calls $0.81(All-In).

River: ($5.52) 4 (2 players)

Final Pot: $5.52.
      Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, aces and kings(K A).
      CO shows a pair of aces(J A).

Hero wins with two pairs, aces and kings(K A).
    • MrS212i
      MrS212i
      Bronze
      I personally dont like folding QQ and up preflop! But it's all about trial n error! If he turned over KK you would of said to yourself, "what a great fold" :f_cool: Don't be to hard on yourself! :f_grin:
    • MrS212i
      MrS212i
      Bronze
      Just my opinion, I still got along way to go :pokerface:
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      hey man, gl at the micro's ;)
    • NthnPrsnal
      NthnPrsnal
      Bronze
      thx! :f_eek:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey NthnPrsnal,

Welcome to the Blogging section.

I wish you the very best of luck in your poker career and with this blog. I really hope you can stick at it and that you'll crush the games very soon :)

Gary
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      add me on skype if u wanna chat/sweat ;)
    • LudiCoka
      LudiCoka
      Bronze
      Good fold with QQ. You will find many many better spots to go all-in pf than paying to 2$ after 0.19$ raise.

Unless you have specific reads for that villain, it's a fold by default because those weak players at NL2 get dramaticaly excited with hands like KK and AA so they just push, that's the case in 90% cases. Rest are some weird total fishes.
    • NthnPrsnal
      NthnPrsnal
      Bronze
      Hey guys, :]

Im going to spend a couple of hours grinding today. I will sit in on 4 NL2 6-max tables playing a BSS. My main goal today is win or lose, to make the most optimal decision I possible could given each individual situation. I will play TAG and in position :s_cool:

I will be playing conservative BRM with a stop loss limit of 2BI's. I would like if someone could explain to me how large of a sample size I would need to successfully inspect whether I am crushing NL2?

I would just like to point out that this is not about the money for me, at a point in time poker was only about the money for me and was a distraction from proper play and crippled and chance of success.

The goal I have set myself is to successfully beat each limit and see how far it goes.

Thx for you time guys, if you have any words of encouragement or advice don't hesitate to tell!

I will post a few hands from todays session. :f_biggrin:
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      The sample size you need to be sure you're beating a certain stake is very large, and pretty impractical to get. However, I'd say that if you get to 100 bucks and have at least 20k hands, you're ready to try moving up. If you're doing well, you should get to 100 bucks well before you have enough hands to be sure you're beating the game. That's just the way Poker is unfortunately. In the end, you know you're a winner at the stake when you move up successfully.

As for your AK hand, I simply would have taken the bet/bet/shove line. Your line worked, but was probably unnecessary. At NL2, just keep betting with your good hands. Play them fast. People at NL2 are too passive and too loose: They won't bet enough, and they'll call too much. Therefore, it's much better to give them the chance to call, instead of relying on them to bet.

Naturally, reads will trump all of this. But vs. an unknown, just bet.
    • NthnPrsnal
      NthnPrsnal
      Bronze
      Thx for your feedback Sal!

Well I am feeling a bit more confident , no stuffing about, just betting my strong hands and playing in position. You just end up getting confused and unsure of your hand playing tricky lines and out of position. :f_love:

Well I just winded up my 2 hour session (cut short so more like 1h50mins) playing 4 NL2 6-max tables and managed to play 580 hands. Im not heaps happy with how I played but am still pleased none the less.

I ran way above my EV ($USD10.28/$EV4.80) which is worrying to me, am I getting myself into spots I shouldn't be and just getting lucky? From what I could tell from showdowns is that I had the best hand the whole way. I started my session by only playing massive pre flop cards like AA,KK,AK,pocket pairs when OOP and when limped to me on the BU KXs,A high to steal the blinds. Once I got a tight image after showing the winning hand on multiple showdowns I then opened my range OOP to hands like AQ,AJ and even AT/A9 suited. Do these ranges sound fair to you? keeping in mind I am six handed.

Well here are a few hands that I found interesting during my short (but Sweet Session) Any criticism would be greatly appreciated from this :f_grin:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $0.96
      SB:
      $1.98
      BB (Hero):
      $2.25
      MP3:
      $0.35
      CO:
      $3.09

Preflop: Hero is BB with T, K.
      MP3 calls $0.02, 2 folds, SB calls $0.01, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.06) T, 5, J (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.04, MP3 calls $0.04, SB raises to $0.10, Hero calls $0.06, MP3 calls $0.06.

Turn: ($0.36) 9 (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.18, MP3 folds, SB calls $0.18.

River: ($0.72) K (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.95, SB calls $1.68(All-In).

Final Pot: $4.35.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a flush, king high(T K).
      SB shows two pairs, jacks and fives(5 J).

Hero wins with a flush, king high(T K).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $2.00
      CO:
      $2.03
      BU:
      $1.66
      SB:
      $2.00
      BB (Hero):
      $2.00

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, K.
      2 folds, BU raises to $0.06, SB folds, Hero raises to $0.18, BU calls $0.12.

Flop: ($0.37) 7, 5, K (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.26, BU calls $0.26.

Turn: ($0.89) 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.56, BU calls $0.56.

River: ($2.01) Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.00, BU calls $0.66.

Final Pot: $3.67.
      Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, kings(K K).
      BU shows a pair of jacks(J J).

Hero wins with three of a kind, kings(K K).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With this hand i thoughtI could defend my BB with a hand like this. Do you guys think I should just stay away from this kind of play? I think i should in hindsight.

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $1.46
      MP3:
      $1.83
      CO:
      $0.97
      BU:
      $3.94
      SB:
      $1.26
      BB (Hero):
      $2.11

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7, 8.
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.08, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.17) 2, 9, 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.10, MP3 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.17.

So like i said guys any feedback would be great :s_grin:
    • NthnPrsnal
      NthnPrsnal
      Bronze
      So it's that time again..... To dive amonst the fishes and see if I can pick up some good spots. I heard fish don't like being out in the sun so I have closed my blinds and spread some bread crumbs around my computer.

In all seriousness though, I have been keeping regular on my reading/posting hands and it seems to being doing the trick. I wish this blog would get a few more peoples posting some things.....hello is anyone out there?!?

Well I may aswell get to it......Same plan as before 4 tables 6-max NL2 with a 2 BI loss limit.

Is there anyone else doing the same thing as me? If you are say hi! :P
    • NthnPrsnal
      NthnPrsnal
      Bronze
      I managed to play 600 hands today, I started to get a bit tired and my decision making processes weren't as sharp as they can be so I called it in.

For the major part of my session I ran identical to my expected value of around $2, then after 2 all in pre flop hand (77 v AK & AK v AQ) both the 7's held and AK won, my EV was ~$1 below my total $ earnings. This made me sad :f_cry:

Could someone please explain to me how this affected my EV so much?

Apart from that I am happy with my session and after 600 hands am up just over 1 BI.

I started this challenge with 20BI's for NL2 and now have around 30 BI's after about 6 hours of play.
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      Here's how EV works. Your EV winnings are equal to the amount you would win if Poker was played differently. Every time all players in the hand are all-in, the pot is split based on how much equity you have. So if we get it all-in for a 10 -dollar pot when we each have a 50% chance of winning, instead of the cards being dealt, we immediately split the pot in half.

EV does not factor non-showdown winnings into account, nor does it take ranges into account. So if you go all-in with a straight flush and your opponent has a royal flush and you lose 2 bucks, you lose 2 bucks in EV as well, because you had a 0% chance to win that hand. For this reason, EV is not much more accurate than actual winnings in cash games.

Even if you're a heavy favourite, winning a hand that isn't 100% means you are winning more $ than you mathematically should be. As an example, you have AA and I have KK in a 100-dollar pot.

AA has an 82% chance to win in this situation. So you are entitled to 82 dollars out of 100. Now, if you win, you might think that you deserve to win because you were the favourite, but in reality, you are now running over EV. Your total winnings are 100 dollars, but your $EV winnings are 82 dollars. Hence, if you're winning all your hands when you get the money in as a heavy favourite, you're actually running well.

As for why you're running so highly above EV, 77 has a barely higher than 50% chance to beat AK: Only a 54.3% chance. I assume that for the major part of your session, you only went all-in on the river, if at all, where one player already has a 100% chance to win the hand.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.
    • NthnPrsnal
      NthnPrsnal
      Bronze
      Thank you Sal. EV is now a topic I can comprehend to a better standard thanks to you!

I'll probably have some more noob questions along the way just so I can fully understand the game better.
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      Np. I get loads of help from this site, so I'm happy to pay it forward.