Rock, ABC or Eagle? Which one is best?

• SilverSag
      SilverSag
      Bronze
      Most of you know these icons from HEM HUD (its eagle, rock and moneybag for PT3 users, but rating is different) and I would like to ask your opinion about them.

WHICH ONE IS BEST FOR MICRO STAKES?

Ofc, I realise that answer is not that simple, thats why I will explain why am I asking:

I am currently playing NL25 FR on Boss Media network. I have a database of over 100 000 hands now, so I would think this is a big enough sample to start talking about overall trends now.

After analysing my hands I noticed that from all the regulars biggest winners are Rocks and some ABCs. There are hardly any Eagles at the top. All 3 types are basically TAGs just that Eagles have higher 3bet % (more than 5%). If we go by pure statistics, then Eagle should be best, since he is bringing his game to new level by starting aggression with somewhat looser 3bets in right spots, right?. But thats only a theory. Reality is different.

So for those who managed to read this far, I will make my question more specific:

SHOULD I REALLY START LEARNING AND APPLYING LOOSER 3BETTING OR IS THE ROCKY-TIGHT ABC-POKER STILL THE BEST THING FOR NL25-NL50?

P.S. I hope you understand that question is not about icons and won't flood this thread with general answers about how everyone has his own playing style... :f_p:
  • 17 replies
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      obviously 3betting more in good spots will earn you money, so id say that the most profitable would be very lagish, but you need perfect postflop skills for that, or you will be loosing :D
    • SilverSag
      SilverSag
      Bronze
      Originally posted by phantommm92
      obviously 3betting more in good spots will earn you money, so id say that the most profitable would be very lagish, but you need perfect postflop skills for that, or you will be loosing :D
      Thats exactly what I am thinking here, because it looks that neither them nor me (HEM rates me as "eagle" as well) are doing very good job at those 3bets... :f_biggrin:
    • vmarqui
      vmarqui
      Bronze
      lol what
    • Steelbrewer
      Steelbrewer
      Bronze
      In FR being profitable eagle is hard.
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Depends of the game, for HU I'd suggest rock, for FR I'd suggest a style called angry bird. I wont go into details but you get the idea...
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      i approve of this thread
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      Pensive flamingo. And its not even close.
    • LudiCoka
      LudiCoka
      Bronze
      Personally I like to play "the astronaut". If I can't, then I'm "garbage-man".
      If nothing else works, I type strong language in chat about others being homosexual pinguins.
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      rock is way too tight
    • SilverSag
      SilverSag
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bennisboy
      rock is way too tight
      Thats what I am thinking, but in reality it seems that rocks are the ones with best winrate at that limit...

p.s. really liked smartass comments... :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JonikoP
      Pensive flamingo. And its not even close.
      lol :D
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SilverSag
      I am currently playing NL25 FR on Boss Media network. I have a database of over 100 000 hands now, so I would think this is a big enough sample to start talking about overall trends now.
      Sample is still way to small. How many hands do you have on your opponents. At max you might have 10k wich is not a lot, so all of it can still be variance pretty much

:s_cool:
    • SilverSag
      SilverSag
      Bronze
      Originally posted by variancekiller
      Sample is still way to small. How many hands do you have on your opponents. At max you might have 10k wich is not a lot, so all of it can still be variance pretty much

Player pool is very small in Boss Media. You have a maximum of 10-12 tables running at peak hours. Normally its 2-6 tables, so most of the regulars I am talking about have 10K + hands. I have quite a lot who have 20K + and some even with 30K hands.
    • clawindsouza
      clawindsouza
      Bronze
      lol...id recommend not looking at those things..

at the end of the day you should adapt according to the players on your table..

If certain ppl are folding to 3bets often, 3bet light. if not 3 bet for value with stronger hands..
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      WHICH ONE IS BEST FOR MICRO STAKES?

SHOULD I REALLY START LEARNING AND APPLYING LOOSER 3BETTING OR IS THE ROCKY-TIGHT ABC-POKER STILL THE BEST THING FOR NL25-NL50?

P.S. I hope you understand that question is not about icons and won't flood this thread with general answers about how everyone has his own playing style... :f_p:
      There are articles here regarding how you play against certain other playing styles.

I don't think you need 10K hands to know that a player with a 10% VPIP is a nit. But if you are also one, you loosen up against such a player -- I hope.

I saw a good article somewhere that related NITS/LAGs/CallingStations to Rock/Paper/Scissors.
      You should be able to figure out which-beats-which

The key is to adapt
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      if he is a rock you should be definetly playing paper.
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      Originally posted by variancekiller

Player pool is very small in Boss Media. You have a maximum of 10-12 tables running at peak hours. Normally its 2-6 tables, so most of the regulars I am talking about have 10K + hands. I have quite a lot who have 20K + and some even with 30K hands.
      still in 30k hands you can not say enough about if there playing style is winning or not.