[NL2-NL10] NL2 AJ vs AA

• anhvusa
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      CO (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is CO with J, A.
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB calls $0.07, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.26) 5, Q, 7 (3 players)
      SB bets $0.02, Hero raises to $0.23, BU calls $0.23, SB folds.

Turn: ($0.74) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.53, BU calls $0.53.

River: ($1.8) A (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.85, BU raises to $1.16(All-In), Hero calls $0.31.

Final Pot: $4.12.
      Results follow:

BU shows three of a kind, aces(A A).
      Hero shows two pairs, aces and jacks(J A).

BU wins with three of a kind, aces(A A).

I realize I was confused and was overplaying this hand, but still cannot find out where I did mistake. Could there be another way to improve this hand?
  • 2 replies
    • Krishjanis
      I'm evaluating for my NL BSS Beginners course homework.

Pre-flop: Standart raise, nothing wrong here

Flop: You haven't hit anything, the SB puts only 2c in the pot and you decide to reraise to pot, but there still is a guy behind you. And SB bet shows that he has at least a pair and he is afraid to bet big, he even could have the Q but is afraid. You in this spot have nothing and are against a player who bet and still a guy behind you who also could have a Q. This is the mistake you should have just called 2c and see a cheap turn card.

Turn:woot you hit something, but still not good enough, I would only bet at max 1/2 pot because with what could have BU called us on the flop, if he has a hand he won't give it up for 2/3 or even pot so if he is passive bet less so you would lose the minimum. I would have just checked and see if he bets then just fold, our J is not that good.

River:aaaawwww yeaaaahh we hit two pair now we can really bet without fear. Oh wait... well that sucks. Betting the river was all cool but we shouldn't have really built such a big pot.

Basically you should have just called the flop, then check the turn, if the villain bets big I would throw it away, if it was a small bet I would call and see what the river brings.
      In the end don't bluff the flop against two players, on NL2 they rarely fold.
    • veriz
      Hello anhvusa,

The problem is that you are in multiway pot on flop. :( For that given reason it's kinda close either you raise or not. Most likely I'd just prefer of Calling and reevaluate it on further streets for the given odds. Giving up directly is kinda weak. But if you want to avoid any hard situations then just fold it.

But as played well, kinda hard to give it up anyways for the given odds, most likely going broke as well.

Best Regards.