[NL2-NL10] Value bet size?

• c0wking
      c0wking
      Bronze
      I think I'm leaking a lot of money by being over-aggressive on the river when I have a good hand (especially in large pots). I'm noticing I'm making my opponent fold on the river a bit too much. Even in pokertableratings my river aggression is shown as ~D... and I usually make 1/2 pot as my bet size.

What's a generally good river/value bet size? 1/3rd? I'm playing NL4 SH atm.

Here's an example.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      SB (Hero):
      $3.87
      BB:
      $12.07
      MP3:
      $5.03
      CO:
      $6.71
      BU:
      $3.88

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8, Q.
      MP3 folds, CO calls $0.04, BU folds, Hero calls $0.02, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.12) 2, Q, Q (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.09, BB folds, CO calls $0.09.

Turn: ($0.3) K (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.21, CO raises to $0.42, Hero raises to $0.80, CO calls $0.38.

River: ($1.9) T (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.80, CO folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.9.
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello c0wking,

First of all I moved your hand to correct spot. :)

Welcome to the NL Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future. I hope that with our help you can improve your play and as well move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

Add to full stack if playing BSS.

Preflop: Don't like that much the complete, rather just isolate. Of course completing is an option but you wont take it down postflop that easily and being OOP it will be pretty hard to extract value.

As played
      Postflop: Why do you min-3bet on turn? I mean rather just bet a proper size ~$1,50 and try to get it in.

Best Regards.
    • c0wking
      c0wking
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      First of all I moved your hand to correct spot. :)
      It wasn't a hand-evaluation per se, more of an example about my problem.

Preflop: Don't like that much the complete, rather just isolate. Of course completing is an option but you wont take it down postflop that easily and being OOP it will be pretty hard to extract value.
      BB was a hyper aggro fish with VP well over 50, so I decided to see if I can just get a free look (flush draw) at the flop.

As played
      Postflop: Why do you min-3bet on turn? I mean rather just bet a proper size ~$1,50 and try to get it in.
      I didn't want to scare him out of the hand (if I start betting hard, it's pretty obvious I have a Q). He wouldn't have chased a possible flush draw with a raise that size either I think.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      I didn't want to scare him out of the hand (if I start betting hard, it's pretty obvious I have a Q). He wouldn't have chased a possible flush draw with a raise that size either I think.

Well, but by that play you ain't gonna get his whole stack. ;) But ain't your plan to go for the whole stack?