Veeziits

• Veeziits
      Veeziits
      Bronze
      Hello.
      I'm 19 year's old male from Latvia. I have been starting to play and quiting poker several times for the past year, also have won some money from it. Despite my winnings I have understood that the way I attempted poker as well as my gameplay previous times was quite bad, so this time I will try it through this course, hoping that it will push me in the right direction. :pokerface:
  • 20 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi Veeziits,

Welcome to our Beginners course! :)

Wish you best of luck and looking forward to your homeworks!

Ingrid
    • Veeziits
      Veeziits
      Bronze
      Question 1: Well the main reason is money, after winning some and spending it on lot of usefull staff, it has become really big motivation as it seems more reachable now as I already have earned some with poker.
      Also I want to gain stronger mindset for things in life, already i have noticed some moments that i take easier just because of playing poker. I mean, for example, when I get unlucky it just seems more coomon to me and I just don't care about it so much and just write it down in varience :D
      All in all I think finally learning how to be great at poker would give me like a safe feeling that I will have a way how to earn money if something goes wrong with my studies for example, as well as make me stronger mentally.
      Question 2: Well there is quite many :

When I feel better than others I start to try to win every pot I play, I just come up with a plan how to take the pot down, by not really taking in consideration how much it will cost to me, and when the plan fails I just spew some more because of my tilt...
        I tilt quite easy...
        I'm often leveling myself in pot's that are already lost...
        I often play when I'm really tired just because I can'f find other time to play, which leads to bad performance...
        I become too loose when I get bored or want to win back some money...
        I sometimes feel like the god's gift to poker and start to play without thinking about what I have learned and playing against any mathematical logics :D ...
        I don't really analyse my sessions (don't even know how to do it correctly)...
        I'm sure there is more, but I think it's enough for now, since I already feel bad about my self :D

Question 3: I would say it is playing selective hands which are chosen by taking in consideration your position and your opponents, and when you choose a hand you play it as aggressive as neccesery to gain max value - value betting(raising) and betting for protection whenever it is needed. It works because you avoid marginal situations with marginal holdings, you are trying to put in money when you are quite sure you have the best holdings, meanwhile not letting others catch up for a good price.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Well, it's actually the common leak for beginners to overplay their hands. By that I mean they are just trying too win too much of pots but actually shouldn't. One thing I could advice you to do is that most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Playing tired can cause a lot problems. Usually you are moody when tired and get easily angry. Which means you get easily tilty that brings towards you playing less your A-game. You have to find a way to adjust to that. And also have set something against the tilt.

I don't really analyse my sessions (don't even know how to do it correctly)...

Well, for first try you could start analyzing the hands you lost most money and won most money. By that I mean try posting them and see what kind of feedback you get. After that you will definitely start thinking of it how you should have played and most likely will start to avoid such a play in future.

Tight style is usually called playing rather few hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Some more points earned.
    • Veeziits
      Veeziits
      Bronze
      So today I had my first session after starting this course, the result was kinda dissapointing

Why does it seem, whenever i try to do something right the outcome is worst.. this was my worst session since i came to partypoker...
      and there was only one majeorepic fail in my action when i spoiled a buy-in by little tilt
    • Maartinss
      Maartinss
      Bronze
      Hi.

On what stakes you play? If NL5, it is not too bad, end session with 2.5 BI lossse.
      Actually it is a good thing that you stop playing.
    • Veeziits
      Veeziits
      Bronze
      Hi, Mārtiņš..

Unfortunatly it is NL2 ... got several set-ups for stacks and gifted away one on tilt..
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      You are playing SH, right?
    • Veeziits
      Veeziits
      Bronze
      no it is fullring
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Veeziits
      no it is fullring
      Kinda of those stats where you have a lot of situations, don't you think you kinda overwhelm yourself. I mean for that kind of play you definitely must have good postflop skills, if you are rather beginner then I would strongly advice to overlook your game overall, too loose and opening too many hands.
    • Veeziits
      Veeziits
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Originally posted by Veeziits
      no it is fullring
      Kinda of those stats where you have a lot of situations, don't you think you kinda overwhelm yourself. I mean for that kind of play you definitely must have good postflop skills, if you are rather beginner then I would strongly advice to overlook your game overall, too loose and opening too many hands.
      I kinda agree with you, I sometimes put my self in situations, that leads to hard decisions and would have been easier to just fold preflop...
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      I kinda agree with you, I sometimes put my self in situations, that leads to hard decisions and would have been easier to just fold preflop...

That's pretty common, people play way too aggressively. Especially you see those kind of plays in live poker where everyone is just raise/calling with any crap. :D

I am pretty sure if you start analyzing your hands a bit more a lot of leaks would disappear.
    • Veeziits
      Veeziits
      Bronze
      Today I got some time for poker...

:diamond: watched video of second lessons coaching
      :diamond: looked at my wednesdays miserable sessions hands
      :diamond: played a session and made some changes in my game
      tried tighter approach
      went from usual six tables to just four
      also checked some hands in poker tracker after session
      :diamond: posted two biggest losing hands in evaluation forums

because of these changes I didn't have much to do, so I was able to think more about my decisions and also had time to do some calculations or check ranges with equilab as well as try to understand stats better and use them in my decisions...

and here comes todays graph+stats

By veeziits at 2011-10-14

and as a bounus, my NL2 career so far :D

• veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Wohoo, you have an interesting syle. It seems that you are trying to win a lot of pots and which might be a leak... try maybe tightening up a bit as you already started with. :)
    • Veeziits
      Veeziits
      Bronze
      Question 1: Well I will start by saying that I have never liked that chart, I have studied it, but I have never really based my decisions on just it, I was using charts when I played fixed limit though.

I will start with hands like JJ and TT, I will go broke preflop vs short stacks in many cases when facing a raise, folding just seems wrong to me since JJ equity against as tight range as 88+,AQs+,AK(4,68%) is 52.03% according to equilab calculations.

About smaller pocket pairs - i really don't like the idea of open calling any hand so I usually just raise them, I usually do the same if there is callers before me, because they most likely will fold anyways and if someone wont, i will be able to take the pot down with cbet.

Than I really don't understand, how in the same category can be hands like AQs and ATo. I pretty much will never fold AQs becaus it has so much value against microstakes fishes, but the chart says I have to fold it in middle position? I might fold AT and AJo in middle but not higher cards. Also my actions would differ in MP1 from MP3.

I wont talk about individual hands anymore since I already have written so much, but I just wanted to add, that in all situations you have to base your actions on your opponents and also your table image, for example, if in blinds are sitting two nits I will raise almost any two from button.

I hope I'm not wrong about my assumptions.

Question 2:
      AK all-in pre
      JJ fold pre?

question 3: Equity Win Tie Hands
      UTG 46.32% 37.92% 8.41% AKo
      UTG+1 53.68% 45.27% 8.41% 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo

So equity is 46.32%
    • Veeziits
      Veeziits
      Bronze
      Wohoo, you have an interesting syle. It seems that you are trying to win a lot of pots and which might be a leak... try maybe tightening up a bit as you already started with. :)
      I'm kinda failing at trying to tighten up, because players on NL2 are total nits with stats like 7/5 or complete maniacs with like 80/20, so against nits i just have to raise since they will fold, and against stations I want to play because I can earn so much if I hit...

I'm thinking... do I really need to tighten up? Isn't NL2 the best place to practise postflop play, I better lose some value because i played too loose on NL2, than loose value because of not so good postflop play on NL50 for example. I actually started to play cash games to practise my post flop play.

That's just my thought process right now, tell me if I'm just thinking like a fish.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Well, don't overplay TT/JJ, against shorties we of course can go broke. But it becomes more complicated vs full stacks. At the best we might flip against a 3bet and if it's even a tighter player we might even have to fold our hand.

Playing PPs can be in long run be very profitable, we could even say that you earn the most money with them. You can always try out either you play them profitable or not by check the programs either you are doing great on early position with PPs or not and base according to that.

Totally agree with you that AQs is definitely too weak to fold on MP, mostly raising is fine. But keep in mind the SHC just tells you some hands how to play and avoid difficult situations, teaches you to play preflop/postflop play not that it's a must follow chart. Just a guide.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      I'm thinking... do I really need to tighten up? Isn't NL2 the best place to practise postflop play, I better lose some value because i played too loose on NL2, than loose value because of not so good postflop play on NL50 for example. I actually started to play cash games to practise my post flop play.

Well, it's actually the opposite. You should try playing less hands and learn the basic and then improve your game to rather further step, not start from the hardest part. If you are a new basketball player, do you also start from NBA? :D
    • Veeziits
      Veeziits
      Bronze

Well, it's actually the opposite. You should try playing less hands and learn the basic and then improve your game to rather further step, not start from the hardest part. If you are a new basketball player, do you also start from NBA? :D
      Well, I see NL2 as an U-14 league in some small country where they don't even know the rules of basketball or something like that :D :D but ok, I will try harder to play a little tighter
    • Veeziits
      Veeziits
      Bronze
      Question 1: preflop
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% KsQs
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% 3d3c

on flop Js5d3s
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% KsQs
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% 3d3c

Question 2:
      I think in worst case BU calling range preflop could be something like this
      JJ-22,AQ,AJs,ATs,KQs,QJs,JTs
      thus leaving us, after turn's raise, with about this range
      JJ-77,55-44,AdQd,KdQd,KcQc,AdJd,QdJd,AdTd,JdTd
      because i think villain would have bet on flop with set on such drawy board
      which gives us 36.63% equity, although they might bet on overpairs on flop as well, bu that doesn't change much since range
      77,55-44,AdQd,KdQd,KcQc,AdJd,QdJd,AdTd,JdTd
      would give us 37.65%
      On turn after BU raises pot is 0.91$ and we have to call only 22 cents, which gives us about 1:4.1 pot odds, so I'd say we have to call

Also if we are calculating by odds and outs, if we discount all Jack and Ace outs we still have odds 1:4, but if we discount 6 and 3 of clubs we have only 1:6 odds, even though I don't think it's neccesery, but in this case we still have have implied outs and I think we would get enough on river to make the call +EV
      So it is definetly a call!

Question 3:
      Overpair - TT