Try to guess at what point EvGalois' articles were published

• VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      A huge thank you! to M. EvGalois for all of the time and effort you put into the articles on 5-Card draw.

A week or so before the articles came out, I had played about 400 hands. I had played 5-Card draw when growing up, and usually did fairly well.

After analysing the hands, though, I find that in the first 400 hands, I enterred far too many pots, with far too weak hands, overplayed my two-pairs terribly.

I also lost about 1/4 of that downswing by having full houses, trips and flushes beat by better hands, but even so...

I had tightened up on my own, and was starting to gain when the articles came out, and finally today I erased the first 400 hands.

I don't know if I'm fit to play at higher limits, so I'll continue another 5000 hands and make a decision then.

thanks again!
      --VS
  • 4 replies
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Had the same effect on me. Just make sure you get the PokerHands HUD up and running, and remember that 7.5% of starting hands are two pair or better, and each possible pair adds another 3.25%, so if someone is only opening 11% of hands, they raise and you have KKxxx, it's an easy fold.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I do have PokerHands -- that's where the graph comes from.
      Great program.

I did some calculations based on some numbers I found here: http://www.nichepoker.net/draw-poker/five-card-odds/

I calculated based on these that the odds of improving at all from 1pr are 28.67% (2.49 : 1).

This means that if you improve, you are a great favourite against 1 opponent, but if you are up against two others, both drawing to a pair, it is just about even money one of them improved too -- and it gets worse from there.

At the minimum stakes, I see a lot of people checking post-draw with two pair, even trips. Not sure what they hope to accomplish, but if I'm unimproved, I'm checking behind almost always.

I like stealing perhaps a bit more than I should, but I keep it up as long as I'm getting away with it.

I've also seen people who limp-and-draw-2, which seems to mean that they have a pair + A/K Is this common?
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F

At the minimum stakes, I see a lot of people checking post-draw with two pair, even trips. Not sure what they hope to accomplish, but if I'm unimproved, I'm checking behind almost always.
      Well if they raise and you call with a pair, they draw one and you draw three, they're probably arguing that their weak two pair won't get called by worse, so they check/call. Not value betting trips is a mistake I think. This is imo a weakness of the starting hands recommended by EVG. If you raise and draw one, you have two pair or better every time. I like to raise flush draws as well, then I have some semi-bluffs in my range when I draw one, and if I get to show a flush or busted flush draw, I can bet two pair for value knowing that I can get called by one pair.

I've also seen people who limp-and-draw-2, which seems to mean that they have a pair + A/K Is this common?
      I think it is at lower stakes.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      [quote]Originally posted by jbpatzer
      I like to raise flush draws as well, then I have some semi-bluffs in my range when I draw one, and if I get to show a flush or busted flush draw, I can bet two pair for value knowing that I can get called by one pair.
      [quote]

I'll do this from the BU if I have shown 2pr or trips reasonably recently.
      If you make it great, but if not, you get more callers on your 2pr trips hands.
      Depends on who I'm playing against though. It isn't really +EV unless there are some folds involved. In the SB you sometimes get the right pot odds, but its rare (for me anyway)