What micro-limit should I play?

• krizanova
      krizanova
      Bronze
      Hi, folks!
      I have started playing/learning poker the last 3 weeks
      I play NLHE full ring .
      Gone through SSS and MSS articles, tried both, I prefer MSS.
      The problem is - I find it hard to continue bet/bluff etc in micro limits such as 0.01/0.02 , 0.02/0.04, because people rarelty fold...
      I have a bankroll of 100 dollars, SHOULD I try to play 0.01/ 0.02 and 0.02/0.04 OR can I play 0.05/0.10, which I prefer more and win more (It could be just upswing, though - I have played only 3k hands).

So the core issue, again is - while I believe in playing lower levels, gaining knowledge and exp. and climbing to upper levels, should I start with 0.01 or 0.05/0.10.is an OK place to start learning? :)

Thank You,
      Kristaps
  • 5 replies
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi Kristaps,

the purpose of bankroll managment is so that you will not go broke when luck or variance is not on your side. there will always be times when you are having so much bad luck that you can't believe it.

the range for BRM can be greatly varied. some people are nits and are very overrolled for their limit. this can be smart the higher stakes you play because better opponents mean bigger variance and less winrate. sometimes, people decide on having a more aggressive brm (meaning less buy-ins for the limit). this is also acceptable as long as you have no problems moving up and down rather often. for others, they have difficulty with this as their ego cannot accept moving down -- thus ending up broke on the process. i have read this story so many times and i do not want it to happen to you.

you can review the MSS BRM if you click here. the final brm decision relies on each individual player ultimately, and you also need to be reponsible for enforcing these rules you have made for yourself.

smiles,
      wendy
    • krizanova
      krizanova
      Bronze
      Thank You for reply.
      I am a typical "tilter" - emotional, stubborn etc. - a person who should NEVER play poker :D And thats why I prioratize bankroll management and will do it for along time.

But what can you say about the skill limits in 0.01 /0.02 VS 0.05/0.10??

I mean everyone is noticeably loser is smallest limit than 0.05/0.10 limit (a misjudgement maybe, 3 k played hand only )

I know that my bankroll supports playing 0.05/0.10 but do you recommend the both smaller micro levekls to start??

• IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by krizanova
      I am a typical "tilter" - emotional, stubborn etc. - a person who should NEVER play poker :D And thats why I prioratize bankroll management and will do it for along time.
      Problems with tilting and emotional?
      You might find this thread useful then krizanova! let us know what you think and feel free to post your questions!

+++Q&A with Jared Tendler!!+++

Ingrid
    • krizanova
      krizanova
      Bronze
      Thx for the link, I already went through it a week ago and think on purchasing the book.
      What I meant by "tilter" that my character model is anti - poker :) But I have had some success the last 2 weeks :) I just am a pretty bad starting material :)
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      skill level wise, there are definitely more people who know what they are doing in NL10 as compared to NL2. even NL5 is a bit more competetive although not by much. having said that, there is still plenty of fish to go around. :)

if you feel like you will tilt too much, maybe you should build a little more buffer than 25 buy-ins. or as an alternative, set a stop-loss, for example after losing 3 buy-ins, you will move down first to NL5 (.02/.05) until you are ready to take a shot again. just some suggestions, you dont have to take them. :)

you are also quite relatively new to teh game so i really applaud you for having brm thoughts in mind. i've seen too many beginners who are already bust before we can help them :( i feel you will go far in the game if you can keep enough discipline and have enough motivation to keep learning esp when the first big downswing hits. that's the real test for any poker player.

let us know how you get on! :)