[NL2-NL10] Hand Evaluation Coaching Homework #3 - 11.10.11

• veriz
      Hello PokerStrategists,

as some of you may have heard that we have a homework in each of our No-Limit Hand Evaluation Coachings

Here is the homework for the coaching from Oct 11, please note:

• Everybody is invited to share his thoughts here regardless if you joined the last coaching or not.
      • Whoever is active in the homework threads can get a free database analysis by us which helps you to improve your game.

Find the hand below waiting for you opinions and analysis posted in this thread. Furthermore do not forget to join our next coaching on Tuesday, October 18 at 6 pm GMT

Originally posted by OZSA
      34/28/1 aggro. what hands do you call the river with ?

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.20(BB) Replayer
      SB ($35.80)
      BB ($21.01)
      UTG ($21.97)
      CO ($23.55)
      Hero ($27.52)

Dealt to Hero J:spade: Q:heart:

fold, CO raises to $0.60, Hero raises to $2.10, fold, fold, CO calls $1.50

FLOP ($4.50) J:heart: K:diamond: 8:spade:

CO checks, Hero bets $3, CO calls $3

TURN ($10.50) J:heart: K:diamond: 8:spade: 5:club:

CO checks, Hero bets $5.25, CO calls $5.25

RIVER ($21) J:heart: K:diamond: 8:spade: 5:club: 2:diamond:

CO bets $13.20 (AI), Hero folds

CO wins $19.95
  • 3 replies
    • SPeedFANat1c
      I think we can call preflop, becasue if we 3bet, he calls with a lot of hands, which includes better than ours. And he should not fold to a cbet. We beat his opening range, so we can call.

On flop I think its ok, we get value from worse jacks and 8x, also from straigth draws, TT-99. Maybe even from Ax, becasue he thinks its a bluff and wants to call, plus he has few outs for his ace.

On turn I think we have two options check and call. I think check is ok, because the board is not that wet, and we can induce bluff on river. Also if he does not bluff, he might put as on weak hand or bluff, so we can get another call on river.
      But also bet should be ok, because we still get value as on flop, but some of the hands now should fold, like Ax.

River fold is ok I think, he should have strong hand, two pair or AK at least. But AK he shoudl 4bet preflop, becasue fish does not want to go in dificullt situations.

what hands do you call the river with ?

I am calling with KJ+. (About lower two pairs I am not thinking, becasue I am not 3beting them preflop anyway, and KJ is also callable hand as is QJ). Don't know about AK, but I guess its a fold withouyt reads.
    • chocular77
      Hi just started a week ago to play 6-max so its rather hard for me to analyse this hand (preflop) but i try my best.

We have an loose opponent raising 3BB from CO.
      Since his PFR on CO should be ~30-32 his range isn't very strong. if he folds to 3B very often (>70%) we can semibluff 3B him alot (with 20-25% as long as he doesn't play back) and 3B with QJo is fine.
      If he doesn't fold much (~50%) i wouldn't raise with QJo here.
      The Fto3B stat would be nice to know.
      If the Villain is unknown i also wouldn't do it
      Raise size is good since 3.5 is a little bit more than standard for extra FE.

Villain calls so his range should maybe look like this: TT-22,AQs-AJs,KQs,AQo-AJo
      (again not much 6max experience yet)

With this range our QJ is ahead since he doesn't have much Kings in his range.

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 32.20% 31.87% 0.33% TT-22, AQs-AJs, KQs, AQo-AJo, KQo
      MP3 67.80% 67.46% 0.33% QhJs

We make a cbet and he calls. So he will most likely fold his pairs below 8 and AQ (maybe even call since he has a GS and A as outs, so we only exclude the AQo). If the Villain is known for floating all hands are possible, but lets keep it simple because we don't have more infos on the Villain.

The 5c doesn't change much and i would check the turn since it's a WA/WB situation. Even if the Villain floats alot i would check since it maybe induces a bluff on River.

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 57.34% 57.34% 0.00% TT-88, AQs-AJs, KQs, AJo, KQo
      MP3 42.66% 42.66% 0.00% QhJs

As played we make a 1/2 potsize bet which should look weak to the villain because of the small size + The bet nearly commits us to a pot where we most likely are behind in equity.
      The Villain calls again and now it looks like we are beatn (maybe called with less because of the betsize):

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 95.23% 95.23% 0.00% 88, AJs, KQs, AJo, KQo
      MP3 4.77% 4.77% 0.00% QhJs

With the call of Villain on Turn we are definitly beatn and can fold our hand.

what hands do you call the river with ?:

Which hands would we play like this which can call on River? I would only call with Kx+ (not many combinations to 3B, KT+?) since then our equity should be better but we would maybe play the turn different so it's a hard question.
    • veriz
      Hello everyone,

Preflop: Well, I actually don't like your 3bet at all. You are just making a lot worse hands to fold and all those hands will continue which dominate you. Also often times you are going to play with your just pair type of hand in huge pot. For that given part you should rather Call and play postflop if anything at all, you even have position. :)

As played
      Flop: Well, I doubt that you are making any better hands to fold here, for that part of reason I'd rather Check it behind, we still in 3bet pot and the only hand which are better than ours that we can make to fold is QQ and that's it.

As played
      Turn: Obviously no point to bet it anymore here, we ain't gonna make any better hands to fold. Just give it up.

As played
      River: Easy fold and I'd consider Calling with something like KJ, sets. His line is really strong here shipping into us, most likely avoids us to Check behind.

Best Regards.