About OMAHA hi, betting lines and so more.Post your questions here.

• MonkeySam
      MonkeySam
      Bronze
      Will be great if you guys have questions about OMAHA Hi, and post them here, so we can have an unique post for read all the answers/questions. Thanks to the coachs for all that fast responses.

Hi guys, i am a newbie at this stage of omahas hi, but I feel
      pretty good here. NLHE has been kicking me alot of times and I dont
      know why I feel so confortable here :P
      Just for bankroll reasons, I just try to play shorstack, 40 bbs, the minimum at stars, PLO2.
      1. Flops paired : if you are preflop aggresor, it is EV+ to do a Cbet in a HU situation? If your hand do not get better, check/fold turn?
      2. Flops monotone ( 1 color the three cards) . If you do not have the flush, or the nut flush, same question as 1.
      3. When I get the 80 or more bbs, I feel good and try to be a little looser, at normal way I play 28/24/2.5, so I start to play a little more loose from BU and CO, what do you think about that?
      4. Against agro monkeys, who are raising all the time preflop, what is the more EV+ line? I try to wait for a good hand, call the flop, and evaluate the turn.
      5. What kind of hands are more suitable for AI preflop, in a multiway pot? At NLHE 98s is going good vs AK, but I know, a hand chart its almost impossible at omaha, but I think, some ones are better that others.

thanks in advanced
  • 8 replies
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach

That says it all, it depends. In PLO a lot of stuff just depends on a lot of things. That's the main thing to understand when moving from holdem. In holdem there are starting hand charts, standard lines etc. to help players to make good decisions. In PLO equities run more closer to each other, so you don't have those clear situations that much.

But I can try to answer your questions.

1 & 2. These flops are concidered to be "locked down" boards. That means that when someone bets or raises, he states that he has hit the board. Like if the board is 882, and someone raises, he is saying that he has at least 8xxx hand. Monotone boards are same, and boards like AQTr are locked down.

I am cbetting half a pot to those. That way you dont risk that much money when you are bluffing. And if you have the nuts and someone calls, you are going to get a lot of value on turn and river if he has hit the board too. And as most players in micros won't make any big moves with air, it's hard for them to continue to those boards.

But the key thing is to make notes when opponent calls and the hand goes to showdown. That way you will know what is his estimated calling range, so you can adjust to that.

3. So you start with short stack? I would recommend you to get full 100bb stack and learn to play with that.

4. Unless you know what you are doing, the +EV decision is to change table. And if you are out of position to aggro monkey. If you have position, there are two common ways to play against him. Either start to reraise your good hands (increases the variance and you have to be familiar with postflop equities, hand ranges etc) or play your nuts a little slower. If you call and check all your missed hands and raise when you hit, it is too easy for him to play against you. So you have to start trapping and let him hang himself. You need to have good understanding of equities and hand ranges to do this profitably.

5. You shouldn't be looking for 3way+ preflop allins, as usually in those spots you have that 30-35% equity and the play is actually -EV due the rake. Double suited aces are good, and after that almost any aces. There aren't a lot of situations where you should shove any non-ace hand in multiway preflop situation.
    • MonkeySam
      MonkeySam
      Bronze
      man thanks for the fast response!

3. Yes, thats my idea too. But i want to learn at try-error with low limits. Besides I saw to godlikeroy playing sss so many times at stars :D
      4. Ok understood
      5. Understood.

I have to put some more questions

6. Why is so profitable the line of be preflop agressor? I mean, some tables a aggresor sits and with position he starts to bet, all the time from button o CO. I dont feel confortable playing with that guy to my right, so I have to leave the table.Regarding about microlimits.

7. How to exploit the fishes? It is incredible all that trash hands that they play and so, sometimes they get lucky and wins. But, as they are playing so many hands, its not easy to know what can be holding.

8. Playing 100 bb strategy, how many hands do you think will be necessary for evaluate my game?

Thanks for your time
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Roy plays shortstack at higher limits, where the game dynamics are different than in micros. In micros there are two things that makes shortstacking harder:

- higher rake (this alone kills it, I think).
      - bigger stacks are not playing other big stacks out from the pots, as usually everyone sticks in to see the showdown.

Position is so important in plo, so raising a ton of hands from position isn't that bad. If the raiser knows what he is doing.

How to exploit fishes is a huge question, as there are lots of different fishes. Weak, loose, aggressive, passive, tight etc. They all have some tendencies that you need to exploit.

Lets take the most classic example, a calling station. He will never fold preflop. He will never raise preflop. On flop he calls with any pair or any draw. He won't raise postflop, unless he has the nuts.

Against this kind of players you play with hands that will hit the nut-area more often. So when you hit, you are usually ahead of the fish if he calls. And then you just valuebet the **** out of him when you hit. Don't bluff, don't get fancy. Just take the money.

Against some other fishes, you need to adjust differently.

And what comes to how many hands you need to evaluate, it depends on what you want to evaluate. It can be evaluated from one hand, and it can be evaluated on 100K hands sample.
    • MonkeySam
      MonkeySam
      Bronze
      thanks Kyy, I thought the same yesterday, mi first straight flush and I didnt have more stack :D I will start to play 100 bb and will see.
    • seasonsofchange
      seasonsofchange
      Bronze
      I got a few questions aswell. (Didn´t want to open a new thread) Currently playing PLO10 and I see alot of weird betting lines. One very common thing that really does't make any sense is the following - I have AAxx and and get to a point where I 4-5 bet against 1 opponent and the last action is that players call. Quite often that leaves us behind with 1-2$ left. I take it on the flop as I never fold and move all-in. Other player hits 2 pair or some draw and then calls. This happens also after turn when i have bet and get called in a way that only cents are left behind and pot is huge.

Are there any benefits using this tactic?
      If I understand correctly then this affects my EV alot?
      Since I'm not a player who does this, will my results be affected in the long run?
    • MonkeySam
      MonkeySam
      Bronze
      I got another one about betting, at small stakes sometimes the good players, with some kind of draw, keep betting EVEN if a flush or a scary card appears at the river. Is that a EV+ move? I mean, I got my nut straight at the turn, but at the river appears the card for complete a flush. Why do they keep betting?
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      If I have QJTSds and opponent 4bets and I just know he has aces (of course I don't know it 100% sure, but 99% is good enough) call is better than shoving. As the player with aces will never fold on any flop if he has like 1/4 pot left, but I can fold to some flops (like Axx where xx is a pair).

The thing with aces is that if you 3bet/4bet/5bet so that you will have under a pot left on flop and only 1 opponent, you can shove on any flop. You can't be exploited, so you don't lose money in the long run. But when you 3bet something else than aces, and AAxx 4bets into you, it's +EV line to call and put the money in on flop if you hit hard enough.

On Sam's wondering, it might be a good play or it might be a bad play. Depends on opponent and dynamics. But if you have a straight on flush board you really need some reads to make betting +EV.
    • MonkeySam
      MonkeySam
      Bronze
      I hope you understand, but when you are so tight, almost all the flops are AI for him. Today i play a hand against a rock, he was BB and I was SB, I raise a good conected hand and he pots. The flop was so good for me, a wrap of 13 outs for the straight, with flush draw, he hold AQAK with the nut flush. I won the hand, but I dunno if is really effective that kind of game, specially at omahas. At NLHE against fishes it works.