Playing poker while infected with trojans?

• SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      Hi,

I am having trouble - cannot remove virus, trying differrent antivirus programs, but those take long time scanning. The virus is Trojan horse BackDoor.Generic12.CDKZ
      How do you think should I worrry about my password or not? I have AVG, it detect the virus, and I press to remove it, but after some time ot detect it again. So while scanning, I could play poker, but I am afraid. One of my friends says that those viruses are not that scary. He even uses internet banking without having antivirus.

And maybe you could suggest some good virus removal tools? I have tried AVG, malvarebytes anti-malvare, PC-Cilin, ad-aware (now doing full scan instead of quick scan). If this will not work, I will try kaspersky removal tool. But it takes so long while they scan and even worse that they don't remove completely :(
  • 15 replies
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      I'm a pc technician outside of work hours. Ive been doing it on the side for a few years now.

I'm also studying computer networking for enterprise etc atm.

what I normally do is use the following to remove all nasties, in this order:

Combofix (instructions etc)
      lets you remove LOTS of trojans easily. lets you remove rootkits which are normally a MAJOR PAIN IN THE ***.

Combo fix download page

Trend Micro Hijack this
      lets you remove nasties that latch onto your internet browser, malicious toolbars, and startup items on ur PC. lets u create log files.

after this is done, I uninstall any antivirus programs on the pc (eg AVG) as viruses can infect or compromise these programs at times.

I then turn off system recovery and erase all points until the machine is cleaned.

Install fresh latest version of the anti virus package of your choice( eg AntiVir , AVG etc).

Perform a scan.

job done :)
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      thanks for quick answer. I took a look at combofix and I see I should use this tool carefulle. I googled and found some of people make system working bad after using this tool. Also I saw that I might need windows dvd, but my dvd-rom does not work. (not sure if my laptop supports booting from usb). So probably I will have to take time and read everything carefully before doing things, right?
    • mrkhaan
      mrkhaan
      Bronze
      You could download ubuntu or linux mint and use the cd to be able to browse your hard and delete the infected file if you know for sure what is infected and that erasing it wont damage your windows install.
    • eteris
      eteris
      Bronze
      format c:\ done.
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      most viruses can be easily removed with avast and hijackthis(safe mode)..except rootkits, and ye, if u have any kind of trojan, they have ur password in a second, so whenever you get a virus, first thing is to block ur poker account, just disable urself from playing for a day, and best is to format ur PC giving it another name, with another workgroup (if ur IP is static, it doesnt matter) coz viruses send logs about ur IP/pc name/workgroup so they instantly can enter to you again.. use avast after you format.
    • lennyCro
      lennyCro
      Bronze
      Originally posted by OZSA
      most viruses can be easily removed with avast and hijackthis(safe mode)..except rootkits, and ye, if u have any kind of trojan, they have ur password in a second, so whenever you get a virus, first thing is to block ur poker account, just disable urself from playing for a day, and best is to format ur PC giving it another name, with another workgroup (if ur IP is static, it doesnt matter) coz viruses send logs about ur IP/pc name/workgroup so they instantly can enter to you again.. use avast after you format.
      Actually, half of these things u said doesn't have to be true.
      Expl:
      U can remove viruses most of the times with antivirus but sometimes u need to download virus_fix to remove the seed of the trojan because he's the one that "makes new viruses" on your computer.

And it's not true that they have your passwd in a second. Viruses are made nowdays mostly to assimilate your computer into botnet so it can use your computing resources. Some viruses are used to log your keyboard input but it's pretty hard to implement such a thing and send it through network.
      Changing workgroup of ur PC won't disenable virus to do his job.

Just follow steps that conall88 gave you and you should be fine.

lenny
    • sharpred
      sharpred
      Bronze
      id buy a new hard drive and reinstall windows and copy all the settings and personal files there,
      better safe than sorry :P
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      ok, I did scan with combofix now, and I guess the rest is to uninstall antivirus and install the fresh one. Also changed the password of the room where I have most of my bankroll. So will see how things will go. And good to know that they don't steal passwords in a second :)

Of course i should reinstall windows, but I am lazy to do that all comfiguration, holdem manager, I don't remember how to confugure HUD, etc, so again to go with those tutorials, just lazy :)
    • sharpred
      sharpred
      Bronze
      i scan everything with virustotal.com before executing them in windows - should keep you out of trouble next time
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

I've moved your thread into the relevant board. Hope you don't mind
      Ingrid
    • paulcan68
      paulcan68
      Bronze
      From experience I would download "spybot" is the best software to make sure your computer is not infected, it is a free download.
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      Originally posted by paulcan68
      From experience I would download "spybot" is the best software to make sure your computer is not infected, it is a free download.
      I am already loosing hopes to get rid of this trojan that easily. I created a thread in another computers forums, they ask me logs generated by some programs, but I have no time to scan with those becasue I need to go to work, and I cannot leave my computer on becasue I am leaving in not my own flat and owners don't let leave PC turned on at night or when I am at work

Or maybe this is the reason now not to be lazy and install windows 7 instead of vista and at the same time the virus should be gone and I will not need to do that many things to remove it.
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lennyCro
      Originally posted by OZSA
      Actually, half of these things u said doesn't have to be true.
      Expl:
      U can remove viruses most of the times with antivirus but sometimes u need to download virus_fix to remove the seed of the trojan because he's the one that "makes new viruses" on your computer.

And it's not true that they have your passwd in a second. Viruses are made nowdays mostly to assimilate your computer into botnet so it can use your computing resources. Some viruses are used to log your keyboard input but it's pretty hard to implement such a thing and send it through network.
      Changing workgroup of ur PC won't disenable virus to do his job.

Just follow steps that conall88 gave you and you should be fine.

lenny
      ok this guy might seem comforting, but he is clueless. A serious virus cannot be deleted or cleaned by any antivirus, dont joke urselves, because its just time wasting. A serious virus can get any passwords as soon as it scanned ur OS partition. Viruses are made nowadays ...what ? its 2 kind of virus, one that steals money, and one that uses ur PC for a proxy, and its more business in money stealing than proxies. Easiest way to dont let a virus fuck around with you, clean partition, put on the OS, put on all stuff is vital for u, like basics, ghost it, burn it on dvd, and have ur pc cleaned in 2minutes, whatever virus is killing it.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      Installed win 7 and scanned with windows defender. Found and removed this:

I hope now I am virus free :)

And I like the the win 7 actually, because it finds the drivers itself and I just click button to install them. I remember with earlier versions of windows - search, download, extract, install everything manually. This is aweseome, I will probably never want go back to XP or vista :)

Edit: one thing I don't lile - for my asus x50vl laptop it didn't find a good driver because sound is crackling and microfone does not work at all :(