[NL2-NL10] nl5 - QQ vs A10s

• Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Should have raised at any point?

River probably should have been a fold I guess given its a nasty card to see.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $6.58
      BB:
      $13.91

0.03/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q:spade: , Q:diamond:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, BB raises to $0.45, Hero calls $0.30.

Flop: ($0.90) 6:spade: , 3:spade: , 2:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $0.59, Hero calls $0.59.

Turn: ($2.08) 3:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $0.74, Hero calls $0.74.

River: ($3.56) 5:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $1.7, Hero calls $1.70.

Final Pot: $6.96

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows (Qs Qd)
      BB shows a flush, ace high (As Ts)

BB wins with a flush, ace high (As Ts)
  • 8 replies
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Preflop: Why are you slowplaying it preflop? Your goal is to get it in, right? I would therefore 3bet and go broke here. He looks tight but this is battle for the blinds...

Flop: With your preflop play I even like your check. But why just call?? There are some draws and you don't know whether he's cbetting air or has some PP. If he has 99-JJ he's probably willing to go broke on this flop. There are many turns we don't like and not only that but are action killers because he might not like it too so he can decide just to check behind.
      I would definitely go for c/r here = $2.

Turn: On the flop you were representing PP which you weren't so sure whether is good or not. You might have some overcards and tried to float. Checking again is not good here. When you called his cbet, he's not 2barreling with air here so you should bet yourself.
      When he does bet I would definitely raise here. If he hit his set, ok, tough luck, but more often we have him beat.

River: With c/c all the way we got in position like this. Ugly river came and we don't know where are we. With the action like this our only option is c/c for the third time. But let's see with what range he might do it -> PP, flush, maybe some straight. I'm not giving him Ax when he 2 barrels. I basically expect him to have some PP here and when I make a crying call I'm not happy, no matter what I see. If he has flush, I know I could take it on the turn. And if I see some 77-JJ I'm angry with myself for not charging him for liking his hand.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Philfox1985,

Preflop: Well, I'd definitely open 4xBB here being OOP. But what's the reason for Calling the 3bet? Do you expect him being very nitty with 3bets or...?

As played
      Postflop: If you are Calling preflop then you can't really Check/Raise the flop. I mean what's the point? You are making a lot worse to fold and might isolate against strong overpairs. Rather then just 4bet it preflop and get it in. So your play is kinda fine for the given odds on turn, although on river I would most likely even consider laying it down, I mean the guy switched even his gear to bigger bet which could easily indicate to rather even a stronger hand. Might even be a FD on turn with his bet sizing.

Best Regards.
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Agreed in the river, I was leaning towards a fold but my mouse button driven by curiosity somehow managed to click call button :f_confused:

Pre-flop I was probably too nitty, but 130 + blinds deep (thought it was 200 hmmm) I'm not sure I'm happy to commit my entire stack with QQ, is this a mistake Blind vs blind?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Pre-flop I was probably too nitty, but 130 + blinds deep (thought it was 200 hmmm) I'm not sure I'm happy to commit my entire stack with QQ, is this a mistake Blind vs blind?

Not if you consider him rather 3betting nitty then I don't mind your play at all preflop.
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz

As played
      Postflop: If you are Calling preflop then you can't really Check/Raise the flop. I mean what's the point? You are making a lot worse to fold and might isolate against strong overpairs.
      I don't understand why not c/r?? If he has some overcards he will only cbet and won't commit more money on later streets.
      Also he might go broke with lots of PP which we beat (most of it). He can go broke with 88+ in this hand.
      If we decide to c/c...what's the line if blank turn comes, like 8 :heart: we donk, or check again?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by yaxkukmian
      Originally posted by veriz

As played
      Postflop: If you are Calling preflop then you can't really Check/Raise the flop. I mean what's the point? You are making a lot worse to fold and might isolate against strong overpairs.
      I don't understand why not c/r?? If he has some overcards he will only cbet and won't commit more money on later streets.
      Also he might go broke with lots of PP which we beat (most of it). He can go broke with 88+ in this hand.
      If we decide to c/c...what's the line if blank turn comes, like 8 :heart: we donk, or check again?
      Then why ain't ya 4betting it preflop? :) Doesn't make sense. You can do that easily preflop.
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Ok, I agree about that. But let's say we already called his raise preflop. I think donking out on this flop doesn't accomplish anything since he's not calling with overcards, but he will cbet most of the times with this same overcards. So after calling preflop I would recommend c/r for value, since we get the initiative and turn might bring some card we don't like. With only c/c we might give him 2 free cards, which is not so good, having in mind board will develop in not so friendly way for our overpair.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by yaxkukmian
      Ok, I agree about that. But let's say we already called his raise preflop. I think donking out on this flop doesn't accomplish anything since he's not calling with overcards, but he will cbet most of the times with this same overcards. So after calling preflop I would recommend c/r for value, since we get the initiative and turn might bring some card we don't like. With only c/c we might give him 2 free cards, which is not so good, having in mind board will develop in not so friendly way for our overpair.
      The problem is that you are still going to isolate yourself against very strong hands. I mean if he even there was nothing mentioned about 3bet so he could be only 3betting with like a very strong range there as well. Just put QQ vs AK on that kind of board and see how it goes and how often he will hit. :>