[NL2-NL10] NL10 AQ 3-bet then get donked

• Meemawuk
      Meemawuk
      Bronze
      Another spot that I found myself in a number of times today. 3-betting in position for value, then guys donk me on the flop. Do I just have to keep folding when this happens? Do they always have a hand like TT-QQ? Can I ever make them fold here?

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $15.13
      Hero:
      $10.15

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:spade: , Q:diamond:
      4 folds, SB raises to $0.30, Hero raises to $0.90, SB calls $0.60.

Flop: ($1.80) K:heart: , 9:spade: , 6:heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $1, Hero folds, SB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.80
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Meemawuk,

Well, that's really cruel. I know what you feel. :D Just had a similar session but actually you can very easily adjust to them. With just few notes you can adjust later on and wait either for just made hand or not.

For example against some opponents I do consider even raising here, another possibility would be to float and take down it on turn. Since you may still even have overcards as clean outs. Although but as you played that's just the safest play against those loose-passive guys and which is totally fine to take.

Best Regards.
    • Meemawuk
      Meemawuk
      Bronze
      My concern is that if I decide to peel the flop here, I am only peeling with 1 overcard. I don't know how to continue if I hit a Queen. Maybe a flop raie/give-up unimproved line is better?

Also, at NL10 it is difficult to get a big enough sample vs random players to see these sorts of hands shown down. It is not easy to adjust with 0 - little information.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Meemawuk
      My concern is that if I decide to peel the flop here, I am only peeling with 1 overcard. I don't know how to continue if I hit a Queen. Maybe a flop raie/give-up unimproved line is better?

Also, at NL10 it is difficult to get a big enough sample vs random players to see these sorts of hands shown down. It is not easy to adjust with 0 - little information.
      Well, you can still continue passively. Although if he decides to go for bigger bets then most likely we have to fold our hand.
    • sausage646
      sausage646
      Bronze
      I don't see why we should raise for value pre flop, since his
      open raise is only 8 % ->

99+,AJs+,KJs+,AJo+,KQo - 51.79%
      AsQd - 48.21%

I know we have position and he is a bad player, but still I would prefer a call just from equity point...
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by sausage646
      I don't see why we should raise for value pre flop, since his
      open raise is only 8 % ->

99+,AJs+,KJs+,AJo+,KQo - 51.79%
      AsQd - 48.21%

I know we have position and he is a bad player, but still I would prefer a call just from equity point...
      Well, once again you have only 38 hands. Plus ORL = 29% which = Steal. ;)

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    38.77%  36.37%   2.40% { 55+, A2s+, K5s+, Q7s+, J8s+, T8s+, 98s, A5o+, K9o+, Q9o+, J9o+ }
      UTG+1  61.23%  58.83%   2.40% { AsQd }

But of course Calling and playing it postflop and keeping weaker Ax/Ax hands in the play is also an option.