[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH KQ 3-betting with blockers

• Meemawuk
      Meemawuk
      Bronze
      I decide to 3-bet for value with bloackers vs ssb steal and he flats. I c-bet flop and he calls. Should I barrel the turn for free showdown? I seem to find myself in this spot a lot. I dont know what I do here if he bets the river.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $11.05
      Hero:
      $10

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:club: , Q:diamond:
      3 folds, SB raises to $0.40, Hero raises to $1.10, SB calls $0.70.

Flop: ($2.20) A:spade: , 8:club: , 4:diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.37, SB calls $1.37.

Turn: ($4.94) K:heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($4.94) 6:spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $4.94

Results follow (highlight to see):
      SB shows (Qh 8h)
      Hero shows a pair of kings (Kc Qd)

Hero wins with a pair of kings (Kc Qd)
  • 2 replies
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Preflop: Your hand is not so good, why would you like to 3bet him? He fold worse hands and calls you only with better. You have position on him and since the pot is not so big you can still fold if you miss completely.

Flop: The way you played I think cbetting is a must here. I like your amount - a bit more than 1/2 pot. The problem is that if he calls us he has some A very often. If not he may call us with PP 99, TT or even 77. Some 8x hands are also possible, but are less likely. Cbet is not an auto move, we should be thinking who's our opponent. I agree with your cbet here though.

Turn: Board is super dry and he's not calling you with PP anymore so I would go for check and little value on the river if he checks for the third time.

River: Checking for the third time is weak, so he definitely has some hand he doesn't like very much. I would go for thin value here 1/3 pot so he may decide to call us with small to medium PP.
      If he bets here...tough spot, basically depends on the player.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Meemawuk,

Preflop: You ain't gonna achieve much with the 3bet here. You don't even know the opponent and often times you gonna be against dominated hand. For that given part I would also prefer rather to Call and play it postflop with the position and if I hit my TP type of hand then I would play in smaller pot and with the position. With that you also keep a lot weaker Qx/Kx hands in the play.

As played
      Postflop: I actually totally like your play and I wouldn't change much in here. There is no point to Bet the river anyways while he could even be playing Ax this way and you will rarely get called by a lot worse.

Best Regards.