What stakes can you make a living?

• 89 replies
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Xeonz123
      At what stakes can you start making enough money to live on?
      I'm not sure, but i know for a fact that if I was trying to live on my winnings at nl2 the wolves would be at my door :D
    • MariSa311
      MariSa311
      Bronze
      I think it depends A LOT on what country you're in. There are countries in which 200$ a month are enough for a decent living and others where only the rent is 1000$. It also depends on how much money each person spends...
    • Mopenza
      Mopenza
      Bronze
      if you can put some good volume in, I think NL100 would be ok, but it all depends what`s "living" for u.
    • Xeonz123
      Xeonz123
      Bronze
      40 Hours a week , England 500 Pound Rent a month.. Money to go out.
    • kenthmp
      kenthmp
      Bronze
      NL200 if you're playing cash game
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      If going out means grabbing a 6-pack from teh grocery store, NL100.

Otherwise, NL200.
    • Xeonz123
      Xeonz123
      Bronze
      Im talking about living a average life.
    • lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Xeonz123
      Im talking about living a average life.
      I know people who work 60 hour weeks others who work 20 and do some study and people in between. I know people who live on council estates and people who live in middle class estates. What's average?

I should also add that I know people who like to drink every evening and people who wont touch the stuff, that in itself can have a huge effect on lifestyle let alone finances (either way).
    • lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      Sorry, I wasn't particularly constructive in that last post.

I think the question OP means to ask is what stakes do you need to play to earn minimum wage (about £6.50 which is $10 an hour).

So how many tables and what stakes would be feasible for $10 an hour?
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      I used to make a living playing PLO25-50 SH (true story). Was a degen bum. Come to think of it - I still am :D
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      I think a good player could make minimum wage in England 9-tabling NL25 SH. It would only require a winrate of ~5bb/100.

However if you want to grow your BR you wouldn't be able to cash out minimum wage for yourself, so NL50 at least to cash out minimum wage.
    • Scooney
      Scooney
      Bronze
      That of course has to be an average of minimum wage, otherwise the month you get a downswing is the month you're f**ked. Concentrate on getting to a stage where you can earn a supplementary living to make your life more comfortable (unless you're already there). I know Id really appreciate say £200 a month extra from playing poker!
    • PokerPirate1
      PokerPirate1
      Bronze
      My SNG experience: It is possible to make a comfy living roughly around the avarege wage where I live (1500usd avg monthly cashout) playing midstsakes SNGs - 20-50usd. Before the FT closure, I was able to make around 1000usd for a nice student life playing good volume of 10.50 superturbos, but I slacked and didnt play much, so I was usually a bit behind that.

IMO the best way to make a serious living by poker is to keep building a bankroll, move quickly up stakes and play what highest you can manage to beat though. Do not party much, (:-D ) keep making savings for a few years till the games dry out, raise a capital. Then you can turn to sportsbetting, trading, stock or commodities markets, running some kind of bussiness... plenty of opportunities to profit, all of them will be there like forever, but they may be not so attractive if you dont have a deep capital yet. (like most of us young grinders)

= PROFIT
    • everyoneissolid
      everyoneissolid
      Gold
      easy to make 1k/month with nl50 (2ptbb -> 50k hands)
      but there are also guys who make a living by playing nl25
    • LudiCoka
      LudiCoka
      Bronze
      If you are a quite good player, you can make decent living playing NL10 10-tabling 6-8 hours a day (with rakeback).
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      For the people talking about minimum wage...

Would you really want to make a minimum wage living from grinding at poker? I think you should only use it to supplement your income until you reach a level where you could actually live a comfortable life. Do you really want to be living a life where you have to be grinding poker for 9 hours a day so you can afford to live by the most basic standards? Where poker becomes a chore?

The whole ideal of being a pro poker player is living the "baller" life style, for which you need to be earning a good whack of money.
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bennisboy

Would you really want to make a minimum wage living from grinding at poker? I think you should only use it to supplement your income until you reach a level where you could actually live a comfortable life. Do you really want to be living a life where you have to be grinding poker for 9 hours a day so you can afford to live by the most basic standards? Where poker becomes a chore?

The whole ideal of being a pro poker player is living the "baller" life style, for which you need to be earning a good whack of money.
      Dude, unemployment is really high at many countries and for a young person with no work experience sometimes there are only mega-crappy jobs available. I know that grinding micros is not a dream job, but which one would you prefer - this or a janitor, mc donalds, lifting stuff on the construction etc. Some jobs are just plain gross.
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fuzzyfish
      Originally posted by bennisboy

Dude, unemployment is really high at many countries and for a young person with no work experience sometimes there are only mega-crappy jobs available. I know that grinding micros is not a dream job, but which one would you prefer - this or a janitor, mc donalds, lifting stuff on the construction etc. Some jobs are just plain gross.
      Yeah i know man, I guess I came across more harsh in my last post than I meant to. I don't think there is anything wrong with making a living from poker, or wanting to, especially with the current economic situations! I'm not saying people should go work some crappy job that they won't enjoy, I think working in a job that you don't enjoy is one of the worst things you can do, which is kind of what I think I was eluding to with my last post.

But does poker ever become one of those gross jobs?
      Like if you're slaving away at the micros, how long are you likely to keep enjoying it? When does it reach a stage where you just can't bring yourself to play any more?
      It's not the most social occupation either, you're a one-man 'business', you don't have people in your team who you can go to the pub with after work and stuff like that.
      For me, poker is about the enjoyment and challenge of playing, which I'm sure it is for everyone at this forum.

Overall I'm just saying people should be realistic about being a poker pro. I think the independence and freedom of schedule would be awesome, but I'm not sure how long it would be for me until I stopped enjoying it.
      I also think it's a bit risky from an income point of view if you have bills to pay and that kinda thing.

I think the ideal way to become a poker pro would be to have another job that you can fit poker around while improving and saving up enough to cover the bills, then when you find a level where you could be earning more money on a reliable basis playing poker than working your other job, you can transition across, but I think you need savings first to support yourself for near enough a year in case the poker goes badly.

Like i'm not trying to put a downer on poker, or say don't do it as a job, I'm just trying to provide a realistic view and some advice on what I think needs to be sorted out first. You don't want to get to the situation where you can't eat or pay the bills because you ran bad
    • topdammer
      topdammer
      Bronze
      make a living with poker....
      think twice when you decide that. (don't do it when you have to play on averege more then 200 hours in a month)