How do you position your mouse?

• hackbinder
      Back story...

I have chronic back / neck pain. When it is bad, it is REALLY bad (opiate painkiller bad, puke because it hurts so much bad). I have realized that sitting at the computer for 2 hours every couple of nights is aggravating the situation quite a bit. Also, my computer chair is from the 60s and it is not exactly ergonomic. I'm also a teacher and when I have to do report cards and paperwork I spend entire days in front of the computer, and in lots of pain afterwards.

So I just ordered myself a really good chair... It was $400 so I hope it is worth it.

My physiotherapist said that the way you hold your mouse is critically important, although the way she told me to do it has made no noticeable difference.

My question to all you folks who spend lots of time in front of the computer is...

Where do you have your mouse? Is it on the desk? At what height? Is it on the chair? Is it on your lap? etc etc...

Your responses are much appreciated as I assume most of you spend a lot of time in front of the computer.

• 6 replies