[NL2-NL10] NL10 How to handle minraises?

• Petrificus
      Petrificus
      Bronze
      saw flop | [color:#C00000]saw showdown[/color]

Button ($2.14)
      SB SB ($10.41)
      BB BB ($10.70)
      UTG ($2)
      UTG+1 ($20.16)
      MP [color:#C00000]MP ($1.97)[/color]
      MP [color:#C00000]Hero ($1.85)[/color]
      MP ($1.60)
      CO-1 ($2)
      CO ($4.60)

Preflop: Hero is in MP with Q :spade: A :club:
      2 folds, MP raises to 0.20, Hero calls 0.20, 4 folds, SB calls 0.15, BB calls 0.10.

Flop (0.80) 4 :heart: 6 :diamond: Q :diamond:
      SB checks, BB checks, MP bets 0.40, Hero calls 0.40, 2 folds.

Turn (1.60) T :diamond:
      MP moves all-in for 1.37, Hero moves all-in for 1.25.

River (4.22) 2 :diamond:

MP shows A :spade: A :heart:
      Hero shows Q :spade: A :club:

MP wins 4.22 with One pair, Ace

Is there a way to put him on aces? I didn't really know what to extract from his raise to 0.20$, so i just called to see what the flop brings. I hit TPTK and just called his raise. Maybe i should have raised him here, but then i would have been All- In anyway, which we then did on the turn; how i expected.

So, main question:

How do i have to handle min-Raises and which information can i extract in most of the cases? Is it mainly a hint for very strong hands?
  • 8 replies
    • Watto77
      Watto77
      Bronze
      In my experience of playing sng's it generally is but there have been some good points made by the coaches they disregard min-raises almost entirely and that they are certainly not to be scared of. I am sure they will point you in the right direction.

nh
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Raise or fold preflop. When MP minraises, since you are holding AQ, you either disrespect him entirely and reraise x3, or fold, as AQ won't play against a raise.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Originally posted by aciddrop
      Raise or fold preflop. When MP minraises, since you are holding AQ, you either disrespect him entirely and reraise x3, or fold, as AQ won't play against a raise.
      as played, push flop.
    • Wildknight
      Wildknight
      Bronze
      frustrating, but since you're playing a certain strategy that says fold AQ to a raise, fold preflop, don't think 3 betting is the right choice there because at those limits 3 betting is only to extracting value, because players dont take 3 betting very seriously and call it way too often and going to showdowns OOP and even pushing with marginal hands post and preflop, i think folding there was the best option because you can't really play most of the flops profitably. incase you raise preflop and get cold called by aces, you have TPTK and it's inevitable that you go broke with that hand. calling preflop is something you should never do with SSS and normally even BSS with AQ isn't a cold call to a minraise.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      because players dont take 3 betting very seriously and call it way too often and going to showdowns OOP and even pushing with marginal hands post and preflop, i think folding there was the best option because you can't really play most of the flops profitably.

sorry, but it doesn`t make any sense to me... I want my opponents to go to the showdown with marginal hands) That's the type of opponents you are searching for)

You should only fold if you suspect your opponent min raising a strong hand, otherwise you should reraise, as you have an equity advantage.
    • Petrificus
      Petrificus
      Bronze
      You should only fold if you suspect your opponent min raising a strong hand, otherwise you should reraise, as you have an equity advantage.

Yeah, but that's the problem. When is my opponent minraising a strong hand and when not...
      So, i think in the future i'll fold on minraises, if the SHC says to fold raises before me. It's just safer.

Thx for evaluating!!!
    • sargemojoe
      sargemojoe
      Bronze
      I'm glad I found this post. I just read the SSS guides and have been applying it on the poker tables the last few hours and came across a similar situation. I had AQ in MP and UTG minraised.
      I didn't have a read on the opponent, but i called the minraise (which I now regret). Flopped came out rag rag King 2xdiamonds on board and folded to any bet that came my way. The min raiser ended up having pkt 10s and the winner had K6o. Should I have folded to the minraise or should I have done the 3xBB bet that was suggested earlier in this post?

The turn and river came up AQ which was a bit annoying, but I'm happy I didn't continue on with the hand after there was a bet made on the flop which I didn't hit.. thus I had a 'trash' hand :)

Btw what does OOP mean? I keep reading it as object-oriented programming! >.<
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Btw what does OOP mean? I keep reading it as object-oriented programming!

OOP - out of position

Well, you can`t scan your opponent cards, to say for sure. But you can think that on average this particular player will minraise with marginal/strong range. Normally, loose players will minraise more often and with a marginal range, while weak/weak-tight players will tend to minraise with a stronger range.

If you are not sure - fold.