Loose Spelling

• FingersMalone
      FingersMalone
      Bronze
      From a man who thinks loosely...

Is there a psychological reason why so many poker players can't spell the word "lose"?

I'm aware that the most likely reason is because English is not most players' first language - but the misspelling is so widespread that it appears in professional poker literature - and it's not the hardest word to spell correctly.

Therefore, I think it is psychological, in a way that mentioning the Devil used to be taboo for Christians because of a fear that to do so would give him power and cause him to appear.

We are so desperate to be winners that we even refuse to spell "lose" correctly.

Shit.

I've just done it.

Twice, in one post.

No poker for me tonight.........
  • 8 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      :D :D I do it all the time.

My boyfriend (also a poker player) keeps making fun of me and my "loose" mistakes.
    • Jan217
      Jan217
      Bronze
      Originally posted by FingersMalone
      From a man who thinks loosely...

Is there a psychological reason why so many poker players can't spell the word "lose"?

I'm aware that the most likely reason is because English is not most players' first language - but the misspelling is so widespread that it appears in professional poker literature - and it's not the hardest word to spell correctly.

Therefore, I think it is psychological, in a way that mentioning the Devil used to be taboo for Christians because of a fear that to do so would give him power and cause him to appear.

We are so desperate to be winners that we even refuse to spell "lose" correctly.

Shit.

I've just done it.

Twice, in one post.

No poker for me tonight.........
      heh? what word are you talking about? ?(

'lose' as in opposite of 'win'
      or
      'loose' as in opposite of 'tight'?
    • oblitron
      oblitron
      Bronze
      FingersMalone, I'm with you 100%! Let's start a campaign! (And no, it's not psychological, just plain ignorance.)

• FingersMalone
      FingersMalone
      Bronze
      When poker players/writers want to say they have a had a losing session, they invariably write "loosing session."

That's just one one example.

Players are "loosers", apparently.

I'm not quite sure what that means - but I'm sure one's mother wouldn't like it.
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      What I find much more annoying is people who write intentional spelling mistakes, such as "tenks" and "kewl".
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      holy crap, haven't really thought about it. I always write "loosing session", it was just natural up to now. thanks guys, from now on my life will be way better. :heart:
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      It's because of Ace Ventura

It never occured to me that there could be as little as one o in that word, sometimes i thought there had to be three
    • Psderrr
      Psderrr
      Bronze
      Originally posted by FingersMalone
      When poker players/writers want to say they have a had a losing session, they invariably write "loosing session."

That's just one one example.

Players are "loosers", apparently.

I'm not quite sure what that means - but I'm sure one's mother wouldn't like it.
      If your mother had a good grasp of Philosophy and/or Linguistics she would have realized that language is a tool and if your getting your meaning across it has served its function and that muttering of its "degredation" is quite silly.

Do you mean a Fruedian(fraudian) slip?

Also the number of o's correlate directly with the level of failure.

lose<loose<looooooooooooooooooooooooooooose<FULOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSEFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF