[NL2-NL10] NL10 FR KQs

• muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Villain = 30/16/3.2af/23wtsd/285 hands
      check raise flop = 13.04% (3/23)
      fold to 3b = 60% (6/10)
      flop cbet = 68%

Preflop I was not sure whether or not I could 3b for value against this opponent. He seems to be sort of LAGish but I dont think he can call with KJ/QJ or SC's or something here. So I thought I would play it safe and flat call and play a small pot IP.

Postflop He cbets fairly often and obviously this is the perfect spot for him to cbet. So when he doesn't I thought that was weird.

Before I made the bet I didnt look at his check raise flop % but in hindsight this might have been a useful stat to refer to. His c/r flop % seems particularly high. I know I am unlikely to be getting check raised bluffed by an opponent who already had the initiative and opportunity to cbet, but what I want to know is:

1) is my bet IP justified. Will it often work on this board texture vs this opponent or is check behind better? My aim was to get better hands like 22-55, 88-KK to fold.

2) How should I adjust my game vs someone who check raises this often? Should I check behind and bluff less or not at all. Can I call / stack off vs check raises lighter (i/e he will check raise the likes of A9+?, all one pair type hands?) or is this something I should adjust to when I see actual hands at showdown?

Thanks

Pacific Poker - $0.10 NL - Holdem - 7 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

CO: $14.33
      Hero (BTN): $9.25
      SB: $8.90
      BB: $4.57
      UTG: $9.45
      UTG+1: $10.00
      MP: $2.49

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has K:diamond: Q:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, CO raises to $0.30, Hero calls $0.30, fold, fold

Flop: ($0.75, 2 players) A:club: 6:heart: 7:spade:
      CO checks, Hero bets $0.47, CO raises to $1.62, fold

CO wins $1.61
  • 2 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello muel294,

Preflop: Well, having the position it's totally fine even to Call rather than 3bet. I mean what you gonna achieve with the 3bet? You just forcing a lot weaker Kx/Qx hands out of the hand. Rather play it in smaller pot and play it postflop.
      Postflop: See below:

1) is my bet IP justified. Will it often work on this board texture vs this opponent or is check behind better? My aim was to get better hands like 22-55, 88-KK to fold.

Well, I'd still take a stab. While his CB ain't even that high, just 68%. Which could also indicate that he is even just Check/Folding here with some kind of PPs/missed hand. If he really had something ~80%+ then yep, it's true that I'd often even just consider Checking behind here while it could easily be even a inducement.

2) How should I adjust my game vs someone who check raises this often? Should I check behind and bluff less or not at all. Can I call / stack off vs check raises lighter (i/e he will check raise the likes of A9+?, all one pair type hands?) or is this something I should adjust to when I see actual hands at showdown?

Well, going broke with weak hands is out of question. I mean if the board is dry why do you think he is wanting to go broke with worse? Most likely I'd take pot control if anything at all, but mainly depends on the opponent. So I would rather still watch out for this since if opponent Check/Raises on such a board being PFA it's usually a sign of him having a hand rather than not. Against some opponents I might even Check behind if I know that they are capable doing such plays and reevaluate it on turn.

Best Regards.
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      So I would rather still watch out for this since if opponent Check/Raises on such a board being PFA it's usually a sign of him having a hand rather than not.

Ah yes this makes sense.

thanks veriz