[NL2-NL10] NL2 BSS A8s bet/check turn

• denetomtom
      denetomtom
      Bronze
      Up to the turn tried to protect my hand, when the K comes on turn I still went for protection even though a straight just completed. With his tight stats I thought villian only had a Ax, Kx. or perhaps Qx and had hit TP or possibly a draw

Dont think it would have been correct to check/call turn because villian could still be drawing, hence the bet for protection.

Bet size was a mistake I think I should have bet at least 75c.

Dont know how else I could have played this hand, just think got unlucky against this passive villian.

Look forward to your comments

Villian stats 14/12/1.0/29/51
      vpip/pfr/agg/wtsd/hands

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      CO (Hero):
      $2.29
      BU:
      $3.62
      SB:
      $2.14
      BB:
      $2.21
      UTG2:
      $4.56
      MP1:
      $1.98
      MP2:
      $2.00
      MP3:
      $2.00

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8, A.
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, 2 folds, BB raises to $0.24, Hero calls $0.16.

Flop: ($0.49) 8, A, Q (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.23, BB calls $0.23.

Turn: ($0.95) K (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.46, BB calls $0.46.

River: ($1.87) 4 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $1.87.
      Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, aces and eights(8 A).
      BB shows two pairs, aces and queens(Q A).

BB wins with two pairs, aces and queens(Q A).
  • 4 replies
    • Bogdan1190
      Bogdan1190
      Bronze
      I don't think you are betting for protection here but rather for value. What are you afraid of on 8AQ rainbow board?

My guess is you ran in to a better two pair becouse of betting the flop or turn small and against his passive line im not checking behind river he didn't show any sign of strength and if he is on a AQ AK type of hand be glad becouse you lost the minimal amount. :D
    • denetomtom
      denetomtom
      Bronze
      Hi Bogdan1190

I thought I was betting for protection here because if villian had say JTs (which is in his 14% calling range) then on this flop he would be drawing to his straight and as I said I should have made my flop bet larger for protection against this draw.

As you say I was lucky and lost only a small amout after he turned over hi AQ.

Didnt give him credit for this as thought he would have raised this sort of hand preflop with it being in his top 10%pfr range.

Anyway live and learn.

Thanks for comments
    • Bogdan1190
      Bogdan1190
      Bronze
      You bet for protection when there is a big chance that your hand could be beaten for example on a board with a FD or a verry coneccted flop like T9J and two of them are suited.

You don't need to protect against a 4 outs gutshot becaouse the gutshout has a veery small procent to hit on the turn and on the river an even smaller procent.

That is why you should value bet and of he calls your larger bets with a gutshot be happy becouse in the long run you will get a lot of money form this kind of oponent :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello denetomtom,

Preflop: Standard Raise/Fold here, I don't really see why we should continue while our Ace is way too often dominated.

As played
      Postflop: Don't like your play the much. I mean it's a perfect board for him to CB here and he doesn't. So it could easily even mean a bluff-induce line from his side. I'd rather Check back the turn and let him continue even with weaker pairs/PPs and then reevaluate it on further actions. Don't like your bet sizing either. :>

Best Regards.