Hello from the English Riveira

• BobHoskins2011
      BobHoskins2011
      Basic
      Hi.

I'm Matt and I'm just starting out on what will hopefully be an interesting learning experience. Played a little bit of poker (few sit'n'gos) on betfair the other day. Lost most of the games tbh, but I've already realised why from reading the first articles.

I really enjoyed it so hopefully I can get good enough that I can play and just basically break even or a little better, and then beat my friends when we play in a drunken game sometime soon and steal their money.

I've just taken a beautiful picture of myself holding my I.d., so hopefully my $50 freeroll will be processed soon enough so I can start playing. How long does it usually take btw?

While I'm waiting, what do people think are necessary articles to read/software to download/videos to watch etc? Should I even start playing yet? I didn't have a very hard time grasping the basics I don't think.

Anyway look forward to speaking with you all soon, thanks for any help or insight anyone gives me, seems like a friendly community, hope I can contribute something.

Cheers,
      Matt
  • 6 replies
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey Matt, Welcome :)

The ID check doesnt take too long within 48hours usually but can take a little extra on weekends though but not always.

English Riviera? Thats down Devon way isnt it? I remember the big roundabout with it written on was always the thing id look for when visiting my uncle in paignton. Meant i was nearly there :D

Glad You are enjoying it here and hope you stick around and move up the stakes what games you hoping to play?

Looking forward to seeing you around here more just give me a shout if you need any assistance with anything il see what i can do to help

Carl
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi matt!

welcome to our community!

hmmm, now where to start your learning? well first a few questions, what sort of game are you interested in playing? if it is cash games, i would recommend joining the beginner's course (the link is in my signature) so a coach can guide you through the early stages of the learning process.

if it is sng's you are interested in, we do not have an ongoing course for that yet, but we do have plenty of articles and videos and coachings on the subject. if you have read all the basic ones already, i recommend you start on the bronze ones as soon as you receive your starting capital. i would also definitely recommend downloading the ICM trainer and ICM trainer light and start practicing! (you can browse all our free software here)

smiles,
      wendy
    • BobHoskins2011
      BobHoskins2011
      Basic
      Hey wendy and carl.

Yep its in south devon, and I've gotta say it's probably one of the nicest parts of the country. Good beaches, quaint villages, the beast that is dartmoor, oh and we're now a designated geopark, whatever that is. I think I should probably work as a rep for the council. Yeah the roundabout is still there every year advertising peoples entrance into torbay.

Sorry I forgot to say I'm gonna be playing s'n'g's, just because it's more like the game that I'd play with friends tbh. Plus I think I like the idea of changing strategies within a game, more exciting maybe?

Unfortunately I got turned down for the $50 thing, but they didnt say why. I do matched betting at betfair a lot though so I'm just playing there at the moment. However I want to start using the elephant software, so I might change to partypoker. How useful a tool is it in the beginning stages?

Doing alright so far, I'm up by £3 atm, haven't won yet though. Is it worth watching the live coaching thing at partypoker tmw to get an idea of what's involved? If so how do I watch it??

Cheers,
      Matt
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hey matt,

sorry to hear that you didn't pass the check. not to worry though, probably the starting capital is the least of the things that this site offers in furthering your poker game. if you play on any account that you download with the PokerStrategy.com link and codes, you will be tracked and start earning Strategy points (on top of whatever points and bonuses you will naturally earn from the site). here is the particular link and instructions for Party Poker

do you mean chenny's coaching later on? by all means, do attend and ask all your burning questions! :D he's a great guy and a good coach. to join,

1. you will need to download the partypoker software (if he is letting you guys watch him playing live tonight. you dont have to deposit to watch games. make sure you use our links though in case you want to play there later on. i find it extremely annoying when i find myself with an untracked account as there is almost no possibility of retracking.)

2. go to your home page when it is time for the coaching. on the lower right side, appears all the upcoming coachings. click on the green button labelled "Tune in"

3. voila! all the details you need will pop up (for example, the table number that you will need to open on partypoker) as well as the program used that will allow you to listen to the coach's voice and (type) chat with your classmates.

pls let me know how you get on. :) i would love to hear your honest feedback on a first coaching - for example how difficult it is to join or how helpful it actually is for a new member listening.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Hello and welcome :D

Roo
    • bringmecards
      bringmecards
      Bronze
      gl at the tables and welcome!