From nothing, till everything! I am moving to NL4!

• ryciaga
      ryciaga
      Bronze
      Hello everybody, my name is Rytis and I am 20 years old student currently living in Lithuania. My poker career started with freerolls in PS, then I found about pokerstrategy.com. I have managed to waste first 50 usd capital, mostly because of not very successful SSS, then I shifted to SNG's but turbo sng's at party poker are more like lottery so... Then I managed to get another 50 from another site to FTP (I still hate them, and they still got my money)...

After Black Friday and FTP closure ( btw, I tried to withdraw my money, but those thiefs were processing my cashout for like 2 weeks...) I was saving money to start everything from a beginning. I am going to play at PartyPoker, and I think I will play BSS. I am starting at NL2, although I have 100 usd deposit, and I could play at NL4.

I won't start NL4 until i read some strategy, and some cash books. I think I'll try to read "Kill everyone".

But....

I am completely overwhelmed with my studies, so I think I will be able to start the book only around Christmas...

So that's a beginning of my story.
  • 91 replies
    • ryciaga
      ryciaga
      Bronze
      So, first session went really well — opponents gave me a really warm welcome and 3.5 BI in almost 1.9K hands :) 20 bb/100 hands looks quite nice for a start :)

Here's the graph for day 1: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/7/session1b.png

Looks quite nice, especially when my bankroll feel's better after this nice swing up :)
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi Rytis,

Welcome to our blog section :)

I like the beginning of your story and how you learned from your previous experience losing the free $50. It's good to keep brm!

Looking forward to follow your journey
      Ingrid
    • ryciaga
      ryciaga
      Bronze
      I hate middle of my semesters, because it is always the same: ton's of midterms and papers and other stuff, and after that I want to have some time just to LIVE :) I have ~hour till midnight and now I am going to spend it at the tables, let's see how I will perform today!

I promise a update after session, and maybe even interesting hand :)
    • ryciaga
      ryciaga
      Bronze
      So...
      421 hands +2,11 USD 25,06 bb/100 hands

Looks nicely, but still misplayed some hands, made wrong call with two pair, against runner runner flush, and also got into some interesting situations here:

0,01/0,02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J:heart: , J:club:
      UTG1 raises to $0,04, UTG2 folds, Hero calls $0,04, 5 folds, BB calls $0,02.

Flop: ($0,13) T:heart: , 6:club: , 3:diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, UTG1 bets $0,13, Hero calls $0,13, BB raises to $0,26, UTG1 calls $0,13, Hero calls $0,13.

Turn: ($0,91) 3:spade: (3 players)
      BB checks, UTG1 checks, Hero bets $0,3, BB calls $0,30, UTG1 folds.

River: ($1,51) 3:heart: (2 players)
      BB bets $0,2, Hero calls $0,20.

Final Pot: $1,91

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows (Jh Jc)
      BB shows a full-house, threes full of kings (Ks Kc)

BB wins with a full-house, threes full of kings (Ks Kc)

Anybody see a fold after his reraise on the turn? Should I reraise preflop?

and hand #2

[
      Preflop: Hero is BB with A:spade: , 7:spade:
      UTG1 calls $0,02, UTG2 calls $0,02, 5 folds, SB calls $0,01, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0,08) A:heart: , 6:club: , 3:spade: (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0,04, UTG1 calls $0,04, 2 folds.

Turn: ($0,16) 7:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,08, UTG1 calls $0,08.

River: ($0,32) 9:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,1, UTG1 raises to $2,12 (All-In), Hero folds.

Final Pot: $2,54

He hit his two pair or set on the river? What do you think, anybody see a call here?

I know I am still writing this only to myself most of the time, but any comments are really welcome :)
    • ryciaga
      ryciaga
      Bronze
      So, after yesterday's session my graph went NUTS! take a look at it :)

It was raining Aces, and I made a lot of good folds preflop, and only 2-3 bad calls, but it was so profitable, so nice, so sick I should say!

27BB/100 hands over the last 2.1K hands, and 19.25/100 after my restart! I am feeling good, no time for Kill Everyone, so I'll still stick to NL2.

Maybe, when I grow my BR up to 150 USD I'll start shooting at NL4.

Take a look at my graph:

I know it's a micro, but I am pretty proud of myself :f_grin:
    • ryciaga
      ryciaga
      Bronze
      So hello again, woke up after yesterday's roller coaster ride at the tables, had some terrible suckouts, but what can I do? ;) was trying to play my best, and deal with the tilt as good as I can. I have a graph for you and one interesting hand.

I'll start with a graph:

I think everybody can see this nice "little" swing up in the very end of my session. So the story for today: The guy is pretty aggressive mate from Poland. Day before yesterday we were sitting at the table and this hand happened:

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:heart: , A:club:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0,08, SB folds, BB raises to $0,28, Hero raises to $0,96, BB raises to $1,78 (All-In), Hero calls $0,82.

Flop: ($3,57) 7:heart: , 6:diamond: , 2:spade:
      Turn: ($3,57) 7:diamond:
      River: ($3,57) K:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: $3,57

Hero shows two-pair, aces and sevens (Ah Ac)
      BB shows (Qs Qd)

Hero wins with two-pair, aces and sevens (Ah Ac)

a pretty good shove preflop I think and of course positive outcome. After this I had a little chat with him, we made some fun out of each other (no nasty insults, just a chat ;) )

And yesterday it happened like this: I was just after a nice double up up to 200BB, and you know what? POCKET ACES came round to my position ;)
      My friend from Poland also had +200BB: so the story about battle of the Giants is here:

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:spade: , A:club:
      UTG1 raises to $0,08, 4 folds, Hero raises to $0,24, 3 folds, UTG1 calls $0,16.

Flop: ($0,51) A:diamond: , 7:diamond: , 6:spade: (2 players)
      UTG1 bets $0,24, Hero raises to $0,48, UTG1 calls $0,24.

Turn: ($1,47) K:heart: (2 players)
      UTG1 checks, Hero bets $1,05, UTG1 calls $1,05.

River: ($3,57) 3:heart: (2 players)
      UTG1 checks, Hero bets $1,7, UTG1 calls $1,70.

Final Pot: $6,97

UTG1 shows (Ah 7h)
      Hero shows three-of-a-kind, aces (As Ac)

Hero wins with three-of-a-kind, aces (As Ac)

So the question here is: how could I extract more money from him in this situation: would he call an all in after the river was dealt? he had 4.9 USD before the start of the hand and after showdown I left him with 1.43.
      AND IT WAS MINE :baby: so should I raise more than half the pot on the turn, and then push everything into the middle after the river?

Nothing better than to take some money from the pole! :) can't wait to meet him again :)
    • ryciaga
      ryciaga
      Bronze
      I think I have zero readers :) oh well...

Graph after session, I think I am done for today, cause I played lots of hands and have seen tons of really bad players :) but had profit from them :)

take a look at this:

Goodnight everybody :)
    • JohnDoe1313
      JohnDoe1313
      Diamond
      Hey Ryciaga.

You don't have zero readers, I've just gone through your blog ;) I like your graphs, keep 'em going.

Still, I got a little advice for you - work on your bet sizes. For example - that last hand with AA where you flopped top set - why are you minraising? You should raise at least 3x his bet. Don't minbet/minraise ever. (IMO you should call that because there aren't many flush draws in his range and you block all Ax combos, why don't you let him bluff? Maybe raise turn then? But that's just my two cents, actually I am a fish...)

Good luck in your studies and time management. I am at first year of uni, so I know what you are talking about.
    • ryciaga
      ryciaga
      Bronze
      Hey JohnDoe,

well, I am never slowplaying a set. Cause I have been burnt numerous times, and it hurts then. I like that you pointed out the minraise problem. I definitely need to work on that.
      Talking about the reason why it was a minraise there, I think it was a problem with my excitement level at that time :) cause hr was calling station type of guy and he could have been calling with any two cards, so I wanted to make him pay, and I really didn't love the flush draw possibility.

Come round more often :)
      Thanks for advice.
    • JohnDoe1313
      JohnDoe1313
      Diamond
      Well, if a calling station shows interest in pot, then put the money in with top set. Nice hand sir :f_thumbsup:

I'll stay tuned, looking forward more updates.
    • ryciaga
      ryciaga
      Bronze
      Ok boys and girls, I got some books that must be read.

No limit holdem: theory and practice (David Sklansky, Ed Miller)
      Harrington on Cash games Volume I
      Harrington on Cash games Volume II
      Holdem Poker for advanced players (David Sklansky, Mason Malmuth)
      Small stakes holdem (Miller, Sklansky, Malmuth)
      The poker mindset (Ian Taylor)

which should be the first one?
      I am not leaving NL2 until I read at least one book, and catch up with PS content.
      any ideas?
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      i'll be following too so keep updating :)
    • clandestineAl
      clandestineAl
      Bronze
      Great blog and you are doing really well. I wish I had done so well when I was playing NL2. As for your hand AA vs A7, I would have done the same in raising but like everyone says, raise bigger. it would also have made it easier for you to get all his money on later streets. I might have just shoved the river anyway.
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      I would rather advise you to read articles. You're a silver and there's a lot of good things to read for us rookies. Books take way more time and I don't think we get much of them because we don't really understand advanced concepts. Watch some videos too.

# JJ hand
      Raise preflop to see where are you and to isolate a player. We don't want to see more players calling. After miniraise on the flop we're often beat, especially against 2 players. Having in mind this is NL2 I don't mind calling and re-evaluating on the turn.
      I don't understand your turn bet, board hasn't changed and you aren't representing 3, so you're getting at least one call and if you get raised you have to fold. Just check behind.
      I would call 1/2 - 2/3 pot bet on the river.

#A7
      Too many players in the pot but betting here is ok. If we get raise we hove to lay it down.
      On turn I would bet more 2/3 pot. Since we're in freeplay pot 45 are possible, but we might get value from other 2 pair combos.
      On river...if you don't have reads I would bet 1/2 pot and if he raises shoves... we have to fold, many sets possible, straights.

Good luck with you BR building :)
    • ryciaga
      ryciaga
      Bronze
      Thank you for all the replies and thoughts. It is really important for me. Yesterday was not the best day for my poker, because I have spent most of the day doing one assignment for my studies. When I started my session I was really far away from my A game. Made some mistakes calling bets, ran into 4 of kinds twice, and so on. But my losses were minimized later, so only nearly 1 buy in down. Elephant had some problems, so I need to reinstall it, and the graph will be posted here later.

UPDATE:

as promised I am posting a graph:
    • ryciaga
      ryciaga
      Bronze
      I am quite nervous now. I had to reinstall PS elephant, and now the program can't import all the hands I need, so the graph can't show the real situation. yesterday had a lot frustration, and a bad streak, then I made a pause, watched The Sopranos episode, and came back to the tables, ended up over 140 usd for the first time in my life! 141,99 exactly :)

I am happy, I hope that during all saints weekend, which will last for 4 days in Lithuania, I will watch some videos, read some articles, cause I am dying to try myself out in NL4. And I think I have found out my biggest leak — I need to be more patient :)

Patience patience patience :)

BR: 141,99 usd
    • ryciaga
      ryciaga
      Bronze
      Guess what? :) I am going home for the first time this semester! and in my hometown there's a free poker tournament on Saturday. Registered myself in together with my brother, I am going to experience live tournament poker for the first time ( because those home games that I have played in during some summer camps, doesn't count I guess).

So what's new in NL2? :) nothing special, wasn't really playing much, because my midterms are killing me, even now I have to take tons of stuff with me, so I have to do them at home, but my BR now is: 146,3 USD! and I am halfway there to clear 6,25 chunk of bonus :)
      I have decided to continue posting my graphs here, there will be some inaccuracies, in the middle of it, because of some missing data, but you will still be able to get the idea about my latest performances :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    • djargans
      djargans
      Bronze
      You are doing werry good!
    • 6MaxGrinder
      6MaxGrinder
      Bronze
      I will keep following this! :D