[NL2-NL10] 3 way AJs sandwich play

• Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      First of all i have concerns about my preflop call...was that a clear fold?

Then flop shows and after action i though that i have nice odds to push.

Please tell me perfect line here.

Thanks in advance

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $13.29
      BU:
      $10.00
      SB:
      $10.05
      BB:
      $7.87
      MP3 (Hero):
      $33.38

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, J.
      Hero raises to $0.40, CO raises to $1.20, 2 folds, BB calls $1.10, Hero calls $0.80.

Flop: ($3.65) 8, 3, T (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, CO bets $2.60, BB raises to $5.20, Hero raises to $32.18, CO folds, BB calls $1.47.

Turn: ($45.1) 7 (2 players)

River: ($45.1) 4 (2 players)

Final Pot: $45.1.

Results follow:

BB shows a pair of queens(Qs Qd).
      Hero shows high card ace(As Js).

BB wins with a pair of queens(Qs Qd).
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Alan883,

Preflop: Well, of course we could Call here but your implied odds ain't gonna be very good anyways. Your ace is way too often dominated and you gonna make a lot of mistakes postflop while trying to overplay your TP or even what happened a FD.

As played
      Postflop: Don't like your play at all here, just Check/Fold it and nothing much. Your equity against overpairs ain't that good. And we could even easily be against TT or any other set which BB is representing.

If you could explain me how you getting the nice odds here then I might agree with you. :>

Best Regards.
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Well this is my calculation:) I agree 100% with you about preflop, but i would like just to tell you why i thought that my odds were not so bad.

Well in particular case (in the why it happened) i invested on flop 6,67$. I was investing 6,67$ to win in this particular case a pot of 12,92.

as HEM said i had chances 45% to win this hand.

Well this is why i thought that my odds were close.

Of course that this calculation is just for particular case. If villian had something else it would be different but.....

And of course i hope my calculation are correct....
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Well, even against overpairs you ain't doing good here:

Board: 8:heart: 3:spade: T:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    44.65%  44.65%   0.00% { AsJs }
      UTG+1  55.35%  55.35%   0.00% { QQ+ }

You ain't getting the 45% equity. :(
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Thanks for all that infos. I appreciate that....well i learned that folding preflop would solves all problems like that:) )
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Silver
      Hey Alan,

I thought I'd just give a quick bit of input as well.

I think given that you were 3-bet and someone cold called and you're always going to be stuck in the middle of two-players post-flop (making your decisions that much harder), I think you should be folding pre-flop.

You always need to think about how hard it might be to act post-flop, and when you are up against a 3-better and cold-caller, and have to worry about what the pre-flop aggressor is going to do after you, you are always going to be in a very tricky spot here.