losing

• Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      Hi.
      i've been playing with the $50 starting capital on ftp, and have played maybe 4k hands at 5/10 no limit.

on monday i had $90, including $20 of the bonus that gradually gets released.

in the last 3 days i've been losing a lot each day, and i'm now down to $33, despite having got $45 of the bonus and another 3 dollars or something from Pokerstrategy. a lot of the time i feel that i'm just not getting any luck, i.e. never hitting sets despite getting a lot of pocket pairs and getting beaten when i do hit something.

how worried should i be?

thanks.
  • 11 replies
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Depends really if you think you played well.

We all get downswings. What i do is(i am new poker player) study. I wantch videos rearead some articles and i have to say i always find sth. new in articles i readed even 5 times so far. And usually some small godo info that help you in some decisions.

Also if very important that you fold when you think you are beaten :) Save you damn a lot of money since now an dthan i call and mostly lose those hands that i think before calling that i shouldn't call:)

And patience. Is just anoying that even if you play 9 tables(like i do) and you get no action for 10min(when you raise with good hands noone calls and so on).

But first really "study" more about poker. Read articles and watch movies and evaluated hands. It helps a lot :)
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      thanks for the advice.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hi Kruppe,

Downswings happen, but without seeing the hands in which you are losing money it is hard to see if you are playing badly or just having a lot of badluck.

Post hands which you are not sure about in the hand analysis forum as this is one of the best ways of improving your game. Since you are still a beginner you probably have leaks in your game that can be found by posting hands.

Are you playing SSS? Because if you are - hitting Sets is not 'that' important as you will seldomly playing low pockets due to lacking implied odds - and if you are playing BSS - you do not have enough BR to play at 5/10.

Watch videos - read articles - visit coachings and post hands. The beginning stages of your poker career should revolve around improving your game. If you do those things - it will go up :)

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      right, i think i should add a positive ending to this old thread.
      i'm not losing anymore, now have over $200 on ftp :)
      i switched to sit n gos because the rake is insane at NL10 on fulltilt, twice as high as anywhere else.
      i'm now playing $2, 9 player sngs, which are really easy, and i'm going to try the $5 sngs soon.
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Good man Kruppe. Sometimes, the worst start gives you the best grounding. You know now that you can survive some tuff times, and that they are normal. Gratz.
    • boboistina
      boboistina
      Bronze
      i've started playing on FTP since i got my bonus and had a really bad day and lost almost 10 $, and since i'm a fairly experienced (playing for 2 years) poker player i have to say i was very unlucky.
      Till i saw this promotion on pokerstrategy i was mainly SnG and multitable tournament player with some succes, but i never played cash games till now.

I followed the bronze strategy guides to the letter, but what happened was i lost good amount of cash with really good hands on preflop all ins, and had AA couple of times and i raised as i should with them but was unlucky and had no calls. The 3 hands that made me lose my money were: KK(me) vs QQ, when opponent re raised my 4BB inital raise and i went all in, he called and hit his queen on the turn. Next one was my KK vs. AA also all in, and QQ vs KK where my opponent raised in early position to 2 BB and had 2 calls and i was on the button and raised to 8 BB, then he went all in and i called cause i had around 7-8 BB stack left. On each of them i had around 2.5-3$ starting stack. Then i got a bit frustrated and called it for the day. Also there is a lot of time between playable hands where i lose 2-3 BB and it's really hard to win that back.

what i want to know is am i'm playing as i should and havin a really unlucky day or am i missing something.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      whichever of those two is the case, don't play NL10 on ftp, you need an insane winrate to beat the rake.( i think )

but you should also post hands in the sample hands forum.
    • JovanS
      JovanS
      Bronze
      These things happen, if you play enough hands and stick closely to basic strategy, you will be wining player on no mater which site on low stakes NL HL- there is very slight chance to lose all of your money.
      However, you said that you lost about 2,5$-3$ and that is a real problem: playing SSS and not leaving table when you have more than 25BB is a huge mistake- you should live table becouse you are giving enough pot/implied odds to your oponents to outdrow you.
      You should read completely and carefuly bronze articles about SSS.
    • JovanS
      JovanS
      Bronze
      I btw,boboistino odakle si? :D
    • arjun2001
      arjun2001
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kruppe
      right, i think i should add a positive ending to this old thread.
      i'm not losing anymore, now have over $200 on ftp :)
      i switched to sit n gos because the rake is insane at NL10 on fulltilt, twice as high as anywhere else.
      i'm now playing $2, 9 player sngs, which are really easy, and i'm going to try the $5 sngs soon.
      Does anyone have an idea about the rake? If it is insane, how much is it? Since they don't show the rake pocket, I don't know if I should have played on pokerstars....

I thought that ftp rake was lower than pokerstars X(
    • ehkayforty7
      ehkayforty7
      Bronze
      all i know is the rake is huge. i mean it'll rake a buck for a 10 dollar pot, basically.

madness.