TinoLaan

• TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Hey everyone!

I am Tino. I'm an 18-year old guy from the Netherlands who only recently got into playing poker competitively. I used to play on the iPoker network but I really don't like playing there a lot anymore. So I only recently (two days ago I think) signed up on PartyPoker as well as PokerStars to get sort of a fresh start, I suppose.

Outside of poker, I play volleyball four times a week, I have a job of 12-16 hours a week, and I am now in my final year in high school. After this, I will probably study either sports & management or web development. Very different subjects, yes, but they are both incredibly interesting and fun.

So much for my short introduction. I hope I'll learn a lot here! I'm sure I will! :)

I do immediately have a question though. I see the coaching sessions are always on mondays and thursdays. On those days though, I have volleyball training and therefore usually will not be able to attend. Is this going to be a big problem? I know the sessions also get recorded (and I already watched the first coaching session), but how valuable is attending the session? If it's going to be a lot of help to be able to ask question directly, I might skip a training if need be, because I also want to improve my poker game.

Tino
  • 24 replies
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Also, here's my homework work lesson 1.

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

Poker is just an amazing game. Oftentimes I hear people talking about the huge luck factor in poker. Personally I disagree with everyone saying luck is the dominating factor in poker. As far as I can tell, it's a game of strategy. I have always enjoyed playing strategy games, whether it be chess or a video game like Fire Emblem. I try to find strategies in order to beat the opponents, and I really enjoy doing so. Poker is a game that forces me to think carefully about which moves to make, which makes it such an entertaining game for me to play.

About two months ago, I turned 18 and thought it might be interesting to actually start playing poker competitively. The reason behind this was that not only could it be a lot of fun, it could also help me improve my poker skills. Poker is like sports to me: I just want to continue to get better at it, since I simply enjoy playing it a lot.

So long story short, I enjoy playing the game so much because of the strategy aspect behind it and, of course (I think everyone has this motivation at least in the back of their head), to a certain extent, the money you could earn by playing it. I mean, don't we all like to earn money while doing what we enjoy?

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I don't have a lot of time on my hands, so I often play when I'm rather tired. I guess this could also affect my game quite significantly. I'm not sure whether or not I should really count this as a weakness though.

I suppose I have trouble laying down marginal hands. For example, When I have TPTK, I have a very hard time folding it, even if I am quite sure my opponent has me beat. It just looks way too good to me, even if it's obvious I should fold.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Applying a tight aggressive playstyle means to play only a select few hands (which hands to play also depends on your position at the table), but playing those few hands very aggressively, i.e. raising/re-raising rather than calling. If you cannot justify a raise or re-raise, generally you should fold. Calling is often just too weak. It's all about having the initiative in the hand, and in order to have the initiative, you'll want to be the one to raise/bet.

The reason this works is because you are putting your opponents on the defensive. By having the initiative in the hand, you're forcing your oppononent to make decisions, and under the pressure of a raise this means they can make a mistake, which earns you money. You earn money off of your opponents' mistakes; putting pressure on them makes them make mistakes.
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi Tino,

Big welcome to our beginners course :) wishing you best of luck with your studies!

Ingrid
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

I do immediately have a question though. I see the coaching sessions are always on mondays and thursdays. On those days though, I have volleyball training and therefore usually will not be able to attend. Is this going to be a big problem? I know the sessions also get recorded (and I already watched the first coaching session), but how valuable is attending the session? If it's going to be a lot of help to be able to ask question directly, I might skip a training if need be, because I also want to improve my poker game.

Well, it's not a must attend. :) You can always watch the videos and stuff. But of course those coachings are overall pretty valuable since as you know private coaches cost a lot then why not to just use the coachings for free? But of course as I said already, it's not a big problem if you wont even make to them.

Luck is a small factor in poker, as also some people say that poker is gambling. Gambling sentence is also true till that part when you start using BRM and of course following the math part where you rather are doing correct moves according the math and overall play.

Playing tired can cause a lot problems. Usually you are moody when tired and get easily angry. Which means you get easily tilty that brings towards you playing less your A-game. You have to find a way to adjust to that. For example against tilt:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Tight style is usually called playing rather selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Some points earned.
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Thanks for the review!

I will definitely try to attend coachings as much as possible, though I definitely won't be able to attend them all, unfortunately... Also, I will start posting hands in the hand evaluations forum. If it can help me improve my game, I definitely don't mind doing so! :)

Also, here's my homework for lesson 2.

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

One of the biggest flaws I think there is with the starting hands chart is that it doesn't really mention anything about stealing blinds. I find myself in a lot of situations where I believe I can easily pick up the blinds, but the chart simply doesn't allow me to do so.

So I think I could definitely blind steal a lot more. It will probably allow me to win plenty of blinds, which of course over time will add up.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

NL4 K3s - Too loose stealing?

Here is one hand related to the blind stealing I mentioned in my answer to question one. Aside of that I don't have a whole lot of hands that I had trouble with, since I'm still playing a rather standard pre-flop game. I haven't really expanded my game a whole lot yet (I want to get some more experience first).

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

code:
            Equity  Win     Tie  
      UTG   46.32%  37.92%  8.41% AKo 
      UTG+1 53.68%  45.27%  8.41% 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo 

So you have 46.32% equity.

I am, however, not 100% sure what it means. I think it means this: Since you have 46.32% equity, the AKo will win against villain's range 46.32% of the time. If I'm wrong, hopefully you can explain to me what it does mean! :)

Also, how would I apply the concept of equity on my game? I'm not quite sure about that yet, so an explanation would definitely be much appreciated! :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some tight opponents who give up their blinds either preflop or postflop, why not to adjust? Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Well, it practically means that if the opponent has a 3bet range of 5% you are at the best flipping against him. If you have been using stats then you should know what's 3bet. Or even if not then we will introduce to that in Week #4 & #5 Coaching.

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Thanks for the review! I understand the equity concept better now.

I'll also watch out with stealing too much. It has, as you said, already put me in a few difficult spots! :(

I also played my first two tournaments yesterday and managed to finish 3rd on one of them which earned me about $27, so definitely not a bad result at all! :) The other one was the $100 PS freeroll on PartyPoker in which I didn't quite do so well... :(
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Also, here's my homework for lesson 3.

Question 1: You are holding K:spade: Q:spade: . What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3:diamond: 3:club: ? How does the equity change on this flop: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade: ?

Pre-flop:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    50.78%  50.40%   0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1  49.22%  48.84%   0.38% { 3d3c }

On the flop:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    26.46%  26.46%   0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1  73.54%  73.54%   0.00% { 3d3c }

So essentially, your equity almost gets cut in half.

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG
      : $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:club: J:club:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 2:club: 6:diamond: 3:diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5:club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

He re-raises us very small. If we hit another club, we win (unless he hit a set of fives now and the board pairs on the river, but it would be ridiculous to fold because he might have that... :p). This gives us a total of nine cards with which we can improve our hand to the winning hand, which means we need about 4:1 odds to make a call here. Since we have about 4.1:1 odds to call here, we can definitely make the call and then re-evaluate the situation on the river.

So long story short, we should call.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

NL4 JJ - hard to play

I know this hand already got evaluated a couple of days ago, but I actually have another question about this one. It mostly has to do with bet sizing.

I often read (I think also here on PokerStrategy?) that a good post-flop bet size is about 2/3 of the pot. However, in many hand evaluations they say a c-bet should be larger. So in this case I thought, hey, he c-bets about 2/3 the pot, I only have a middle pair, it's an easy fold. However, now you say his bet size isn't all that strong and that calling would definitely be justified... That's a little confusing to me.

What are good bet/raise sizes for me to bet/raise with post-flop? When exactly is a post-flop bet a strong one and when is it weak? In this case, you say 2/3 the pot is a weak bet. So what would be stronger? 3/4 of the pot? 4/5 of the pot? That would be good to know, because if 2/3 of the pot really is too weak, then I have pretty much always been c-betting too weak :(
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      And another question.

In homework assignments where we need to post a hand for evaluation, do they have to be hands from cash games? Or can they also be from MTTs or STT SNGs? Because I have tried some SNGs lately and I actually like playing those a lot more than cash games, but they do play a lot differently from cash games...
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

What are good bet/raise sizes for me to bet/raise with post-flop? When exactly is a post-flop bet a strong one and when is it weak? In this case, you say 2/3 the pot is a weak bet. So what would be stronger? 3/4 of the pot? 4/5 of the pot? That would be good to know, because if 2/3 of the pot really is too weak, then I have pretty much always been c-betting too weak

Well, most likely 2/3 pot size is totally fine. :) Depends really on the board and on the opponent.

In homework assignments where we need to post a hand for evaluation, do they have to be hands from cash games? Or can they also be from MTTs or STT SNGs? Because I have tried some SNGs lately and I actually like playing those a lot more than cash games, but they do play a lot differently from cash games...

Well, it's a Cash Course so cash hands. :(

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Thanks for the review!

I'll keep posting cash hands then. I was planning on continuing to play cash games alongside SNGs anyway :)
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      So, it's been a while since I posted here!

The last months I've really only been playing MTTs, but now that I'll have a lot less time when uni starts in a little over a month, I decided to start learning a bit more about cash games again, simply because you can just leave the table whenever you want, and MTTs can take quite some time to complete (they're still loads of fun to play though ;) ).

Anyway, as I've been re-working through the first couple of lessons again, I'm noticing now that most of the information that's presented in the basic/bronze articles is really nothing new to me (whereas it was when I first started this course quite a few months ago). Even though the articles cover a cash-game environment, I believe I have plenty of experience with poker now to know pretty much anything covered there. As such, I have a few questions.

When I look at the basic starting hands chart, it just looks ridiculously nitty to me. I understand cash games play a lot differently from MTTs. However, in MTTs, I tend to play a rather LAG style. Not too loose, but not exactly tight either. For example, in an MTT where you start reasonably deep-stacked (say 100BB or more), I would often raise a hand like 78s under the gun. I would do that for the simple reason that I want to be able to represent something on every kind of flop, which is impossible if you only play TT+, AQ+ under the gun.

On top of that, 3betting is almost out of the question if I were to follow the SHC here. That just seems bad here. Whenever I see an opponent steal blinds relentlessly, I definitely don't mind throwing out a 3bet with a hand like KTs. On a similar note, I don't mind seeing a flop in position with something like JTs either, if someone raised from a relatively late position. However, according to the SHC, I should always fold such hands to a raise.

So perhaps it's just my style in MTTs that is completely different from the strategy that is being taught here at pokerstrategy, but I just can't find myself being very happy following this chart. Granted, I do play a bit tighter in cash games than I do in MTTs, simply because the dynamics are completely different. However, it's very difficult for me to convert to such an incredibly tight strategy. I mean, is it really so bad to play a pot in position with a suited connector, for example? I don't think so, but the chart says it is.

So yeah, the pre-flop strategy seems kind of... bad to me. But again, maybe that's just because I play a completely different (but effective!) style in MTTs.

Long story short, it seems like this SHC is a bit too basic for me, I guess...

It would be great if I could get some input on this :)
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      And homework time! Homework #4.

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.

NL2 - AQo - top pair in 4bet pot vs fish

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

Nl2 AKo

Question 3: You are on the flop with K:spade: Q:diamond: . The board cards are J:spade: , 9:club: , 8:heart: , and your opponent holds 7:club: 7:heart: . What is your equity in this spot?

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

Great to have you back mate. :) That's also what I did like about cash games, you can even sit into the tables when you are @uni during lecture if it's very boring. For MTT/SnG you will need a lot time saved to go through it fully unless it's some hyper-turbo one.

Agree that basic/bronze stuff might be nothing new to you. Maybe try out reading some math articles, they are usually interesting ones. :)

The chart isn't a must follow chart. You can always loosen up accordingly how good you are preflop/postflop. If you have bigger experience with the game then obviously we are also loosening up our range which is even kinda must. :D So yeah, my advice don't take the SHC very seriously. There are charts even for advanced players, did you try them? For example FR advanced charts, 3 different ones: link.

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you.
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      you can even sit into the tables when you are @uni during lecture if it's very boring.
      Haha, that's probably one of the biggest advantages :D

I'll try reading some more math articles. They're always useful and interesting :) I also think I'll start reading some more articles about the psychological/mental part of the game, because I think I have plenty of room for improvement when it comes to that. I do practice good BRM and stop-loss limits, but I do think I am too tired to play sometimes, and I still play. That's just an example.

So I'll read up on those things :)

If you have bigger experience with the game then obviously we are also loosening up our range which is even kinda must.
      Yeah, I figured so. That's a good thing, because I like playing a more aggressive style! I'll also take a look at those other charts, I never knew they existed! Thanks for those :D

But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.
      I understand. Bur even if something is not all that difficult, I always take it very seriously. And I definitely will be posting hands and try to help other members. I'm sure that will help me out a lot!

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity
      Hmm, interesting and simple formula. That could be cool to play around with. I do always like to think about maths, and I never actually saw this formula before. It seems to be fairly accurate, so that will definitely be useful! Thanks :D

Though the homework wasn't too difficult perhaps, I do know that I have plenty of room for improvement in my game. So I'm going to keep taking this seriously and take part in this course actively. I'll also try to attend as many coachings as possible, because I think they are incredibly useful.

Maybe I'll post some graphs soon if I build up somewhat of a sample, see how I do :)
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      And I'll add homework #5! Thought it was pretty interesting, because you have to think about the hands differently than in MTTs. Both hands are pretty much guaranteed all-ins if you're somewhat deeper in the tournament for example, but here it's much different. Pretty interesting to see the huge difference in game dynamics there :) Hopefully my thought process was right on both hands :)

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have based your decisions on the stats of your opponents.

NL2 - 77 calldown

NL 2 Zoom KK vs UTG 4.5 BB raise

Question 3: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (7-handed)

Stacks & Stats:

UTG ($10)
      MP ($8)
      MP2 ($9)
      CO ($10)
      Hero($10)
      SB ($10) (17/13/2.6/24/1212) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      BB ($10) (27/9/2.0/29/333) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6:diamond: , 7:diamond:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.20) 3:diamond: , 3:heart: , T:diamond: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.20) J:diamond: (3 players)
      SB bets $1.00, BB calls $1.00, Hero...

What action would you take, and why?

Well first of all I would certainly cbet the flop with my flushdraw on a paired board :f_biggrin:

But as played, I would probably just shove considering the size of the pot. The reason being that I don't want to see another 3, jack, ten or diamond, because those would put me in an ugly spot where I would probably have to fold if they decided to continue on the river.

Of course, SB is relatively tight. But then again BB calls off rather loosely. The reason I would shove is that it may look weaker to some opponents than raising relatively small to something like $3.50, so maybe we can get value from a random 3 or a flush draw or something.

The only thing that is out of the question is folding, imo. I suppose calling is decent for pot control as well, but I would probably prefer raising/shoving for protection quite a lot more. Plus, considering BB is relatively loose in his calling tendencies, we might even get called pretty light by him.

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (8-handed)

Stacks & Stats

UTG ($8)
      MP ($10)
      MP2 ($9)
      MP3 ($6)
      Hero ($10)
      BU ($10) (25/21/3.8/26/1250) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J:heart: , J:spade:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU 3-bets to $1.30, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.30

Flop: ($2.75) 6:heart: , 9:spade: , T:club: (2 players)
      Hero...

Against the aggressive villain I would go for a check/raise here. Check/call doesn't seem like it would be a great option considering there are so many bad cards that could still come on the turn and river. You also don't want to donk, because you're turning your hand into a bluff if he raises you, because you'll have to fold.

So check/raise is the best line by far for me. Perhaps with the intention of calling a 3bet all-in? I'm not too sure about that, but I think you just have to considering the odds you'll be getting if he does indeed shove.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #5 Done!

About Task #3
      It's a very close decision: does protection or pot control weigh heavier here? Do you want to protect against hands like 3x or A:dx and K:dx? Or do you want to control the pot size and try to induce a bluff on the river in case there is no T, no J and no additional ?

Raise/fold is out of question - with the given pot size and the good made hand you have, it can't even be considered.

In case you decide to go broke, you can't really be blamed either. It's not a sign of weakness that the rather tight small blind decides to bet into two people here, though. I would say a call is to be slightly favored, while the many outs against you are annoying. The big blind who calls rather loosely speaks in favor of a raise/broke again. Both options are finally considered equal, which shows - all things considered - how close and full of variance these spots really are.

About Task #4
      You've called pre-flop and then hit a good board. You basically have two choices now: either you assume that your opponent will go broke loosely or puts you on a bluff often and you thus check/raise - or you play check/call in the spirit of way ahead / way behind. The problem with the latter is that there are a lot of cards you don't want to see in the later course of the hand. All in all, it depends on your balancing as both lines make sense under certain circumstances.

A check/fold would be really pointless, of course. It's hard to say whether you should donk-bet here; donk/fold can be discarded as that would turn your hand into a pure bluff and your opponent would interpret this as weakness and start raising you out of flops with hands like AK/AQ/air. So, if you want to donk-bet, it has to be a donk/3-bet.

Good luck on tables and with the Course.
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Homework #6!

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have either a) freeplay, b) slowplay, or c) multi-way pot situation.

Nl2 - Jj

NL10 AQ, hand either before or hand after previous post

$25 NL Hold'em (10 handed)

Stacks & Stats

UTG ($25)
      UTG+1 ($25) rock
      UTG+2 ($25)
      MP1 ($25)
      MP2 ($25) LAG
      MP3 ($25) maniac
      CO ($25)
      Hero BU ($25)
      SB ($25)
      BB ($25) calling station

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q:heart: , J:heart:
      5 folds, MP3 raises $1.00, CO calls $1.00, Hero calls $1.00, 1 fold, BB calls $1.00

Flop: ($4.10) 3:heart: , J:club: , A:diamond: (4 players)
      BB checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($4.10) Q:club: (4 players)
      BB bets $2.05, 2 folds, Hero...?

Simple call here. Though a bet from a passive opponent in this scenario looks very strong, I'm not just folding my two pair here. However, if I raise and I get 3bet, I'll have to fold. You're simply turning your hand into a bluff if you raise, which you obviously don't want to do here. By calling we keep the pot small and also keep some weaker Ax hands in his range.

So I would call here for sure.
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Homework #7!

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have played on a 6-max table (short-handed).

NL2 - AQ two pair SH

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members

NL2 - KQs TP + Flushdraw

$10 NL Hold'em (6 handed)

Stacks & Stats:

UTG ($10)
      MP ($10)
      CO ($10)
      BU($10)
      SB ($10)
      BB (Hero) ($10)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5:heart: , 4:heart:
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.40, BU calls $0.40, SB calls $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.60) 3:spade: , 2:heart: , Q:heart: (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.20, CO Raises All-in, BU calls All-in, SB folds, Hero...

Excellent spot to call. We need about 38.2% equity to call here, and even if we only give them sets and overpairs we'll have about 40.3% equity. If they have slightly wider ranges, our equity is even higher.

So easy call :)

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (6 handed)

Stacks & Stats:

UTG ($10)
      MP ($10)
      CO (Hero) ($10)
      BU($10)
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:club: , K:spade:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU calls $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.60) A:spade: , 4:club: , 4:diamond: (4 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $1.20, Hero...

Call. We hit an excellent hand here, and we're up against 4 players. Raising will put us in a tough spot if we get shoved on, where we probably don't like our top pair anymore. By calling we keep weaker hands in their ranges, allowing us to hopefully take more money from them.

I just see little value in raising, because you'll probably always see a 4 if you get shoved on. Unless they're really terrible players who would do this with something like A5 or whatever.

So I would call :)

Also, I'm starting to get pretty close to being able to move up to NL5! I started completely from scratch ($50) and am currently sitting at $105, so hopefully it shouldn't take too long for me to move up :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #6 Done!

About Question #3:
      Two lines can quickly be discarded here: fold and raise/fold; your hand is simply too strong for those alternatives.

It's hard to assess whether you should put in a raise here. When a rather passive player decides to bet into three players while being out of position, it does look strong. It's more likely an indication of a made hand than that of a draw.

A raise naturally protects, but you run the risk of isolating yourself against very strong range. Which weaker hands could your opponent possibly continue playing here?

The deciding factor finally comes in the size of the pot. This tiny pot simply isn't worth putting yourself into a tough spot where you could potentially end up risking your entire stack. A raise would be overplayed here and pot control takes the precedent over protection.

Best of Luck on the tables and with the Course.