Moving from $2 to $5 SnG's

• sheripops
      sheripops
      Bronze
      Hello Folks

I started playing poker for the first time ( 9 seater SnG's) a few months ago on Full Tilt and have tripled my original stake just playing the $2 tables. I play tight/aggressive mostly and am tryng to make the move to the $5 tables (have just under $300 so figure it's about time). I thought there would be little difference but the standard seems to be so much higher and everyone is so much tighter.

Has anyone else experienced this or have I just been unlucky?! I guess I've played about 30 times at this higher stake and my win rate is quartered!

I have read that Full Tilt is known for being tight... Is this applicable to low stakes SnG's do you think or is it just the cash games?

Cheers, Guy

P.S. Also, where is the best place to play $5 SnG's as I am happy to move my bankroll about.
  • 10 replies
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      PokerStars
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      I found the $2 tables pretty tight too tbh. Time of day is quite significant. I found the fishiest time of the day at FT was around 11pm-2am GMT.

But yeah stars is much better.
    • sheripops
      sheripops
      Bronze
      Cheers for that... I played poker on a friday night for the first time ever (it's usually a midweek thing for me) and the difference was unbelievable. Is this typical of most poker rooms and does it tend to be all weekend? If so... I'm giving up my other w/e commitments... And my job!
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      Yeah pretty much. I hear that saturday night EST is the most profitable time of the week usually but that's like early early morning for most of us europeans so it makes it slightly inconvienient. Unless you're nocturnal of course :)
    • roshe40
      roshe40
      Bronze
      I just recently moved up to the $10 SNGs from the $5 SNGs on Full Tilt. The $10 are definitely more aggressive and somewhat looser I find. Equally beatable so far too! Looking forward to trying the $20 SNGs soon. Can anyone provide a preview of what to expect at higher SNGs limits such as $30 and $50 on this site? I hope to reach these and possibly the $100s at some point.
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      Originally posted by roshe40
      I just recently moved up to the $10 SNGs from the $5 SNGs on Full Tilt. The $10 are definitely more aggressive and somewhat looser I find. Equally beatable so far too! Looking forward to trying the $20 SNGs soon. Can anyone provide a preview of what to expect at higher SNGs limits such as $30 and $50 on this site? I hope to reach these and possibly the $100s at some point.
      I hope your sticking to BRM!

Generally speaking the higher the limit the better the players will be, but you should still expect to see some fishes even at the $30 from what I can tell, I can't speak from experience but from what i pick up on in the SnG forum. This thread might of been better over there btw :)
    • roshe40
      roshe40
      Bronze
      Yes, I am definitely paying attention to my BRM. I made $10 on my original $50 in my first 6 $2 SNGs, but I felt it would take too long to progress to the $5s without adding a little of my own capital. I made $100 in a few days at the $5s, giving me enough to try the $10s. I made $200 in a few days on those. I now have almost $650 in my roll. I figure once I hit $800 I should be able to give the $20s a shot. I would like to settle into a level that maximizes my +EV at some point.

Thank you for letting me know there are still some fish at the higher levels!
    • roshe40
      roshe40
      Bronze
      I just thought I would let you know sheripops that I too found the $5 SNGs on FT to be quite tight. You will be pleased to know that the $10 SNGs actually are much looser by comparison in my experience of playing a few dozen at each stake. It might have to do with the $5 players being on a tight budget and wanting to get their moneys' worth or something. The $10 players seem to gamble more from my experience. I expected play to tighten as I rose in stakes, but thus far I have noticed that the opposite is the case for me.

I would suggest moving up to the $10s as soon as you can afford to, even if it means adding a little of your own capital. I found that I was only able to break even at the $5s myself. The $10s are actually easier to beat than the $5s. I have just moved up to the $20s in the past few days and I am cashing at the same frequency at this level as I did at the $10s, which means my ROI has now fully doubled from my previous stake of play thus far. Only time will tell if I can at least keep this up to a decent level or not.

The $20s FEEL somewhat tigher than the $10s, but once you get used to this new feel, you shouldn't notice much of difference between them and the $10s. You should be able to really get your bankroll rolling by the time you reach this stake. Best of luck to you.
    • soysauceAA
      soysauceAA
      Bronze
      Originally posted by roshe40
      I have within a rather short time frame experienced the $10 SNGs up to the $30 at Full Tilt and they are almost equally flooded with weak players. It seems that knowledge of end-game push and fold is slightly more present in the $30s but many apply it very poorly nonetheless. All in all it is equally easy to beat these games and when moving up make sure you have a few extra buy-ins so that if you happen to be struck by some variance immediately you can continue playing them instead of having to move down and get doubtful about your capability to beat the new limit. I had some issues with that atleast.

I am within 2 weeks of time moving up to the $50 SNGs which I am counting on to be more of a skill level jump as opposed to the jumps between the $10 $20 and $30 SNGs.

As a side note the Full Tilt SNGs are easier than the Pokerstars in my experience.
    • roshe40
      roshe40
      Bronze
      Thank you very much for the reply soysauce. I have been doing well in the $20s and I plan on moving to the $30s within the next week or so. I would like to get my bankroll over $1500 first (50 BB for the $30s). I am just under $1300 at the moment.

I would be very interested if you could start a thread that deals with your experiences on the $50s so that players, such as myself, that are planning on moving up to that stake level behind you at some point could benefit from it. As PS members, united we all stand to profit.